Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PVC/Condensation pipe blowing cold air

Hello- I'm new here and need to ask a quick question. My wife and I are about to purchase a new home. It has never been lived in and we decided to put together a "make this right" list. I was looking around in the attic and noticed that the one of the air units has a 1" pvc pipe coming out of what looks to be the coil and it is blowing cold air. The pipe is comes out of the side of the unit near the bottom about 2 inches and then make a turn upwards about an inch. There is cold air pouring out of it. I'm no expert, but this doesn't sound right. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Could this be a secondary, unfinished drain? Anyone, Beuller?

Is there another pipe near it.

It could be a secondary, but if it goes up shortly after ti comes out of teh coil, it won't drain. Water doesn't like to go uphill.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

It does have a second pipe that appears to be running to a drainage destination. You're correct; water will not travel uphill very well.

Sounds like it could be an un-primed trap

Quote Originally Posted by nightranger121 View Post
    Sounds like it could be an un-primed trap
    un-primed?

no water in it- sometimes if you put your hand in front of it quick, it feels like its blowing out when in fact the airhandler is drawing in.

Post pipe

This may have beeen an attempt to put a clean out access into the condensate drainage system whereas a snake could be introduced through this pipe to unclog the drain at either the bottom of the condensate drain pan or somewhere in the line . Of greater concern would be a blockage causing a backup through this open pipe where water could cause property damage specificly wet rot or mold.

is it a carrier unit?

It is a goodman unit. One A/C professional that works for this builder stated that it was and exhaust of sorts. ???

I have never heard of anyone putting a trap on an auxillary drain

Believe it or not...

Quote Originally Posted by uncfan29575 View Post
    I have never heard of anyone putting a trap on an auxillary drain
    installing a trap in the condensate pipe coming off the auxiliary drain pan is a code requirement in Anne Arundel Co. Md.

He also said I could cap it off if I was concerned about draining a coil leak onto the floor of the attic. Suggestions? Thanks, guys.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast