Thread: Nordyne air handler?

Post Likes

Nordyne air handler?

I've been getting estimates on installing a new 2 ton air handler w/ heat strips. The contractor I liked best gave me a bid on a Nordyne air handler which they rebrand under their own name. This contractor has a good reputation around town, but I'd never heard of Nordyne before. How do their air handlers compare to name-brand products like Carrier, Trane, Bryant etc?
    The compressor is a Payne 1-1/2 ton that was installed by the previous owner just two months ago. Is the Nordyne especially quiet or noisy , or about the same as the others?

Thanks,
    Ben

Post Likes
    Nordyne air handlers are ok, some of their blower ratings are a little low.
    But I wouldn't have one installed if you have a new Payne outdoor unit. I'd get a Payne air handler. The performance of your new outdoor unit may or may not drop when you mismatch. Its your electric bill.

Post Likes
    I believe you posted a week or so ago asking about this. You really should go back with a Payne air handler even if it is a little more money. Upgrade to variable speed for better humidity control and possibly quieter if ducts are ok.

Post Likes
    The Nordyne air handlers weve installed are very quiet. Like beenthere said, they have a lower static pressure rating, but we have not experianced any problems. However, like the others said, I would recommend you get Payne air handler to match your condenser.

Post Likes
    it doesn't take an eisenstein to know that!
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money,that will herald the end of the republic" - Benjamin Franklin

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force;like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action"- George Washington

Post Likes
    Nordyne manufactures Maytag, Westinghouse, Philco, Kelvinater, Gibson, and some private labels in the HVAC trade. They are good solid units with a competitive warranty.

As long as the contractor is good, you should be fine with that product.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by k_fridge View Post
    Nordyne manufactures Maytag, Westinghouse, Philco, Kelvinater, Gibson, and some private labels in the HVAC trade. They are good solid units with a competitive warranty.

As long as the contractor is good, you should be fine with that product.
    Actually, k...

It's a roll of the dice if the odu is a heat pump. Mismatching heat pumps and air handlers can result in semi-annual visits to adjust the charge.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jrbenny View Post
    Actually, k...

It's a roll of the dice if the odu is a heat pump. Mismatching heat pumps and air handlers can result in semi-annual visits to adjust the charge.
    Guess I didn't read throughly enough, I didn't catch that he was keeping the same condensing unit.

Was just speaking to the quality of the Nordyne equipment.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in