Attic fan with furnace in attic

My roofer wants to install an attic fan to keep the temps down up there. The house was built in 1910 and there is no ventilation up there now. The was an opening above the fascia board, but I had it sealed to prevent ingress of bugs and animals. My roof is also three layers right now, but that is something to tackle another day.

From my studys I have learned that it may not be safe to have an attic fan with a furnace up there that vents through the roof as well. They say this can create negative pressure that could pull the CO back in from the furnace chiminey.

Ridge vents or gable vents will not work in this application do to the shape of the roof.

So yay or nay?

And if yay electric or solar?

There was a very long thread on this not to long ago. Most say nay. I'd go for it but make sure the amount of soffits is very adequate to cover the air intake necessary. Go for a lower volume solar. Make sure all can lights and ac diffusers and wiring penetrations are sealed well. Search for the long post as all aspects of this were covered.

Quote Originally Posted by Daltex View Post
    There was a very long thread on this not to long ago. Most say nay. I'd go for it but make sure the amount of soffits is very adequate to cover the air intake necessary. Go for a lower volume solar. Make sure all can lights and ac diffusers and wiring penetrations are sealed well. Search for the long post as all aspects of this were covered.
    I could not find the thread

Quote Originally Posted by Argetni View Post
    I could not find the thread
    Try here:http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=166795

prepare to read...its a LONG one,
    but good.
    best of luck.
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Read it all, looks like PAV is a waste of money in general besides being dangerous with a attic furnace. I wish my roofer knew that.