I Bought a remodeled house originally built in 1910 back in November of 07.
Two 2 Ton Goodman condensers. Goodman air handlers one in attic one in basement. All installed in August of 07.
At the home inspection on unit was found to be blowing 56 degree air and the other 73 (outside temp at the time).
Fast forward to last week, it is hot enough outside to put on the AC, both units only blow room temp. Air handlers working, condenser fan and compressor working. Tech from PSE&G founds both units empty of R22, he confirms this by pushing a screwdriver into the valve and only a tiny pssshhh s heard.
He says I need a leak test done.
I call a local EPA certified AC repair company. Here is what they did.
1. put on the gauges which showed both systems empty.
2. Dumped r22 into both units until that hit 50psi
3. Decided that based on their experience and without testing that the leak was at the high pressure fitting on both airhandlers, "common on these york units" It seems from my study that goodman is made by Amana, but who am i to argue.
4. Opened up the fitting on both charged units dumping R22 into my home and outside. I said "I do not think the EPA would approve of that" and the guy just smiled.
5. Teflon taped and used some type of putty on the joints as well as replaced the plastic gasket. Over tightened one and bent the screw where it attaches to the chassis of the basement unit.
6. Filled both systems with 8lbs of r22,
7. Tested the temps at the registers to be 56 down and 59 upstairs, wrote me a bill for $$$.$$ and left.
This was done last Thursday 5-29. Since them I have heard a gurgling sound in the lines on the basement unit which they said is "normal"
The low pressure line on the basement condenser sweats and get real cold, the low pressure line on the attic unit just gets cool and the registers are pushing out air in the 58-60 degree range upstairs and 54-56 downstairs with a return temp of around 75.
Not sure where to go from here, I am glad to be cool.
I still think the leak is there and soon we will have no AC again. The hacks have a one year guarantee, but i have no confidence in them after watching them work, i have considered reporting them to the EPA, but what does that get me?
They were nice guy's, they came at 8pm at night and where there to nearly midnight. One just had a child born and we all chatted for quite awhile.
what should I do?