Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Bad AC contractors

Backstory:

I Bought a remodeled house originally built in 1910 back in November of 07.

Two 2 Ton Goodman condensers. Goodman air handlers one in attic one in basement. All installed in August of 07.

At the home inspection on unit was found to be blowing 56 degree air and the other 73 (outside temp at the time).

Fast forward to last week, it is hot enough outside to put on the AC, both units only blow room temp. Air handlers working, condenser fan and compressor working. Tech from PSE&G founds both units empty of R22, he confirms this by pushing a screwdriver into the valve and only a tiny pssshhh s heard.

He says I need a leak test done.

I call a local EPA certified AC repair company. Here is what they did.

1. put on the gauges which showed both systems empty.

2. Dumped r22 into both units until that hit 50psi

3. Decided that based on their experience and without testing that the leak was at the high pressure fitting on both airhandlers, "common on these york units" It seems from my study that goodman is made by Amana, but who am i to argue.

4. Opened up the fitting on both charged units dumping R22 into my home and outside. I said "I do not think the EPA would approve of that" and the guy just smiled.

5. Teflon taped and used some type of putty on the joints as well as replaced the plastic gasket. Over tightened one and bent the screw where it attaches to the chassis of the basement unit.

6. Filled both systems with 8lbs of r22,

7. Tested the temps at the registers to be 56 down and 59 upstairs, wrote me a bill for $$$.$$ and left.

This was done last Thursday 5-29. Since them I have heard a gurgling sound in the lines on the basement unit which they said is "normal"

The low pressure line on the basement condenser sweats and get real cold, the low pressure line on the attic unit just gets cool and the registers are pushing out air in the 58-60 degree range upstairs and 54-56 downstairs with a return temp of around 75.

Not sure where to go from here, I am glad to be cool.

I still think the leak is there and soon we will have no AC again. The hacks have a one year guarantee, but i have no confidence in them after watching them work, i have considered reporting them to the EPA, but what does that get me?

They were nice guy's, they came at 8pm at night and where there to nearly midnight. One just had a child born and we all chatted for quite awhile.

what should I do?
    Last edited by Argetni; 06-05-2008 at 08:55 AM.

In this particular case it sounds like the refrigerant leak should have been found before anything else was done to the system.

However if it was my first trip to your home @ 8pm, I would of probably done the same thing with the exception of returning, during regular business hours, to locate the leak.

The old eliminate the crisis and regroup formation.

I agree....first we get you up and running then we figure out why you had the problem in the first place. I would have put the refrigerant in and then made my way back in the next day or two to find that leak.

As I technician on a new call (where I have no service history) it's tough to find a unit low on charge and be FOR SURE it has a leak. It's good that they offer a full year warranty on their work, because if they didn't actually fix the leak then there is a good chance you will be calling them back to honor that warranty.

Funny that they called that equipment "york" though....definately not the same.

Please remove your prices from your post....they are not allowed....forum rules
    I need a new signature.....

wow
    they can at 8pm and were there till midnight
    maybe they found the leak or they didnt
    they yes made a few mistakes but one has to think how long was their day.
    how many calls did they run and how many people did they help or listen to

they did get your ac going and were nice and curtious to you and your family

did they fix and miake few mistakes maybe but you are cool and now you want to turn them over to the EPA with out any cause and call them hacks

wtf the ones you should be pissed at imo are the ones that installed the units last year

good luck and enjoy the cooling those epa hacks left you with

I would do what was listed above, remove the emergency and then return during normal business hours to perform a thorough investigation of the equipment and find the cause of the issue. No reason to charge overtime to do that, unless you want to pay ot to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by tinknocker service tech View Post
    wow
    they can at 8pm and were there till midnight
    maybe they found the leak or they didnt
    they yes made a few mistakes but one has to think how long was their day.
    how many calls did they run and how many people did they help or listen to

they did get your ac going and were nice and curtious to you and your family

did they fix and miake few mistakes maybe but you are cool and now you want to turn them over to the EPA with out any cause and call them hacks

wtf the ones you should be pissed at imo are the ones that installed the units last year

good luck and enjoy the cooling those epa hacks left you with

What peeves me is that they did not do a proper job on the charging, they did not vacuum the lines and now I have air in the system. They damaged the bracket on the coil. The guy that did the work was the owner of the company too.

But like you said, My family and I are no longer sweating and that is the main thing. i am very pissed at the guy that did the original work, which is why I called another company to fix it.

How can I find a real top quality AC contracter that will do the work correctly? I am in Northern NJ.

There are several members of this board from NJ, one of them might see this post.

With the possible exception of pushing the schrader to show you it was low. They commited NO EPA violations.

The EPA has no leak repair requirements for your systems.

PS: Edit out youor prices, its against forum rules.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    There are several members of this board from NJ, one of them might see this post.

With the possible exception of pushing the schrader to show you it was low. They commited NO EPA violations.

The EPA has no leak repair requirements for your systems.

PS: Edit out youor prices, its against forum rules.
    4. Opened up the fitting on both charged units dumping R22 into my home and outside. I said "I do not think the EPA would approve of that" and the guy just smiled.

They dumped 16 lbs of R22 right into my attic and basement, no recovery device was used.

I really couldn't care less about EPA regs myself, but even I know this was a bad thing to do. At least the AC works now, but for how long? The gurgling lines are not a good sign I would think.

Ok, so they charged them, and then dumped the charge they just put in?
    Contractor locator map

Ok, so they charged them, and then dumped the charge they just put in?

Yes sir. They did not charge for it however, which is nice. At least I think they did not. They did use up a whole brand new 30lb tank.

Ok, I thought they just opened it before they charged it.

But what they did was a blatant violation.
    You can file a complaint, the EPA website has a form you can download.
    Contractor locator map

Ok, I thought they just opened it before they charged it.

But what they did was a blatant violation.
    You can file a complaint, the EPA website has a form you can download.
    That is what I have been trying to say

But as tinknocker service tech said, we were melting in the house and now we are cool. No reason to get the guy in trouble, plus he just had a kid. I do want to hire a "real" professional to come and really get everything done right though.

I would have provided you with two 20" floor fans from my service van for you to use until i found all the problems & got your units cooling to their nominal rated capacity.
    Then I would have pressurized both systems with dry nitrogen & found the leaks.

That may have been dry nitrogen, & NOT R-22, that they pressurized the lines with to find the leaks & help purge & dry the system.

While fixing the leaks if brazing was required or not, I would have removed the liquid line dryer & installed new larger capacity filter dryers.

If the R-22 was piston flow metered, I would have checked to see if the correct size piston orifice's were installed in the units

There may be hot air from the attic or garage area being drawn into the Return Air, which would result in high Supply Air temps.

Check the discharge air temp from the outdoor condenser as compared to the outdoor temp & publish it here.

When you have a properly installed system, those Goodman units will cool as well as any units you can buy at any price.

How old are the units, what are their model numbers?

Have your home & ductwork system inspected for energy wasting problems.

Also, find out what the heat-gain (Manual J calc) of your home is.

If the air is extra humid in your home the indoor split will be less but the outdoor condenser split will be higher than normal.

Someone else here, "post a sequential list for him to post important data to," so we might provide even a hint as to a possible cause of the high Supply Air Temps.

A local Tech will have to find & fix your problems!
    I am through typing with these painful fingers. - Darrell

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast