2006 JD Power Rankings

How much validity and stock do you put in these rankings?

I'm retisant to put the web address for fear of breaking the rules but basically its:

Lennox kicking tail
    Carrier dead last
    Everyone else in the middle

Twilli used to be Klingon
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Quote Originally Posted by RomulanSpy View Post
    How much validity and stock do you put in these rankings?

I'm retisant to put the web address for fear of breaking the rules but basically its:

Lennox kicking tail
    Carrier dead last
    Everyone else in the middle
    You mean the one where Lennox is #1 & Goodman is runnin' a close second two points down? Yeah, there's validity in it. After all, JD Powers interviewed HVAC contractors all across the US of A & apparently a lot of contractors are impressed with both Lennox & Goodman.

But you'll get the dummies that'll say money is changing hands that's what explains the high rankings.
    WHY?

I do not put much validity in JD Powers, my wife had to have a import car
    some years back that JDPowers said was tops. Bottom line, it should
    have been dead last. You have to be careful how they word the study,
    so many car manufactures say they are 1st according to JDPowers, then
    you look at how its worded, and find out only two manufactures could
    qualify for the study. Go figure.

That JD Power survey is a "Contractor Satisfaction" survey, it has very little to do with actual quality or performance.

They switch the weighting of the categories around every year too.
    The 2006 survey gave warranty and repair service, ordering proccess, and sales/marketing support more weight than and product quality.
    The 2007 survey gave product quality the most weight, followed by warranty and repair service, credit/billing proccess, delivery, ordering process, price, marketing/advertising materials, and sales representative.

IMO, because of the lineup of categories, and how they are weighted, the outcome of the survey has more to do with services performed by the equipment distributor for the contractor than the quality and performance of the equipment the manufacturer provides.

The survey is completely meaningless to consumers. Any use of it by contractors to promote their product to consumer is borderline fraud IMO.

In the 2007 survey Trane blew everyone away, and Lennox scored just below the industry average.
    Although I feel strongly that the survey is absolutely no indicator of quality or reliability, I do find it amusing which manufacturer is on the bottom of the list both years.

2007 survey
    http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/new...df/2007135.pdf

2006 survey
    http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/new...df/2006153.pdf
    Last edited by mark beiser; 06-04-2008 at 06:58 PM.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

You all

must be Trane &/or Carrier dealers.

I knew someone would be out to discredit the report. Tell me, what kind of report would you all be happy with? The ones that put Trane & Carrier neck & neck?
    WHY?

Quote Originally Posted by Special Ed View Post
    I knew someone would be out to discredit the report.
    The report does a pretty good job of discrediting itself, just read the report. It takes very little digging to find out the methodology of how they came up with it.
    It is very clear that the scores have almost nothing to do with the quality, reliability, or performance of the equipment.

If you are using either report to promote the brand of equipment you sell, you are misrepresenting what the report means. By its very nature it is meaningless to consumers.

Trane beats everybody in the 2007 report, but I would never bring that up with a customer.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Confused rate a middle

I am looking in Florida at a Ruud/Rheem. Is this a good unit and what should I look at for the 10 year guarantee? Everyone has one but are what you think they are. I am willing to spent about $ for a replacement cost guarantee to include labor.
    Last edited by beenthere; 01-24-2010 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Removed price

Consumer reports magazine does annual surveys (not tests or opinions) based on asking subscribers (only) did your your central HVAC break?,
    how old is your unit? and
    do you have a warranty -warranty folks call for repair more?

Over the last 20 years trane/amer std was on always top, followed closely by Rheem ruud, then , carrier, heil in the middle and Goodman always on the bottom.

recently- last year- Rheem ruud moved to top (possibly the Japanese continuous improvement thing), passing Amer std trane , and oddly Heil moved from mid range to the bottom (worst), just below Goodman.
    not huge per cent repair differences but the difference between the top and bottom was like double- example 5 or 100 trane repairs vs 10 of 100 goodman had repairs. my trane contractor said he sold Heil also but had been bothered by lots of "little issues that caused callbacks in the last year or so).