Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinion of these Lennox systems

Post Likes

Opinion of these Lennox systems

I'm having 2 Lennox central units installed in my house today and was hoping someone here could would offer up an opinion on them.

The house is 2900 sq ft, 1250 upstairs, 1650 down. The lower level is built into a hillside, below ground at the back and both sides. I've always had a difficult time with humidity downstairs. It's has always been very easy to cool, but very uncomfortable because of the humidity. Upstairs has been the opposite, humidity not a problem, but the old 2 ton unit for upstairs, a 25 year old Lennox, ran constantly and struggled to reach 75 degrees indoors. Location is central Oklahoma.

The new equpment going in:
    Upstairs will be a Lennox XC14-30 outdoor unit, CR33-30/36A-F coil and G50DF-36A-70 furnace. Tstat is WR 80 Series, 1F80-0471.

Downstairs is XC14-024 outdoor, C33-24A-2F-4 coil and G60UHV-36A-070 furnace. Tstat is Lennox ComfortSense 7000 series, L7742U.

Does this equipment look to be decent for this application? I know "zero" about this stuff and was dependent on the salesman to recommend and size this stuff.

Appreciate any thoughts or suggestions on this project. Also, any idea what the SEER ratings of these systems as described would be? Thanks.

Post Likes
    What size was/is the old A/C for the downstairs.

You can go to teh ARI website and find teh true SEER rating of those units.
    Could be a littler more then their 14 designation, or a little less.

Post Likes
    The old unit was 1.5 ton. New unit is 2 ton. This is for downstairs.

Upstairs was 2 ton, new unit is 2.5 ton.

I'll check again on ARI site for the SEER. Had a problem I guess matching the components when I tried it earlier, but I'll give it another shot.

The units are both running now. The upstairs unit is running 83 degree air at a return grill and 64 degree at a supply register. It's been running for about 45 minutes. Outside air temp today is around 95.

Downstairs unit is running 77 degrees at return and 64 at supply register.

Post Likes
    Your downstairs cooled ok but had high humidity. So they put a bigger unit in to cool it faster and have higher humidity yet?

Post Likes
    why no v drive on 2nd floor??

if i was only going to have one it would be the one doing the bedrooms and being used the most for a/c season.........

Post Likes
    merciles

for full disclosure, not a fan of Lennox.

Do you mind stating your electric rate and nat gas rate?

Here are the ARI performance numbers as best I could match.

downstairs
    1234907 Active OEM XC14 SERIES LENNOX INDUSTRIES, INC. XC14-024-230* C33-24+TDR+TXV G60UHV-36A-070* 23200 12.50 14.70 CEE Tier 1

upstairs
    I could not find a match using the G50 furnace.

A couple of observations.

1.I suggest you request the cooling BTU load in writing for both the upstairs and downstairs systems.
    2.Based on your location and depending on electric rate and considering nat gas prices, for downstairs I do not like 80% eff furnace unless paired with matching heat pump.
    3.I do not like a non var speed furnace for upstairs. I suggest a HP with var speed air handler.

a few ideas.

IMO

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by t527ed View Post
    why no v drive on 2nd floor??

if i was only going to have one it would be the one doing the bedrooms and being used the most for a/c season.........
    the load on the upstairs is mainly heat, humidity was not a problem. there is one bedroom upstairs and three downstairs.

so, he said the vari speed blower would not be needed on the upstairs unit.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Your downstairs cooled ok but had high humidity. So they put a bigger unit in to cool it faster and have higher humidity yet?
    originally he quoted a 2.5 ton for downstairs. after we discussed the humidity issue he recommended a 2 ton, as I understood it, to run longer for dehumidification. Also I think there is dehumidification on cooling with the vari speed air handler and stat...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerdunes View Post
    merciles

for full disclosure, not a fan of Lennox.

Do you mind stating your electric rate and nat gas rate?

Here are the ARI performance numbers as best I could match.

downstairs
    1234907 Active OEM XC14 SERIES LENNOX INDUSTRIES, INC. XC14-024-230* C33-24+TDR+TXV G60UHV-36A-070* 23200 12.50 14.70 CEE Tier 1

upstairs
    I could not find a match using the G50 furnace.

A couple of observations.

1.I suggest you request the cooling BTU load in writing for both the upstairs and downstairs systems.
    2.Based on your location and depending on electric rate and considering nat gas prices, for downstairs I do not like 80% eff furnace unless paired with matching heat pump.
    3.I do not like a non var speed furnace for upstairs. I suggest a HP with var speed air handler.

a few ideas.

IMO
    Tigerdunes,

I'm not sure of the energy rates, I'll check and post when I can find them. I couldn't find the G50 furnace on the ARI site either which is why I asked about the SEER rating. I appreciate the info on the other unit and you checking this out for me. One thing, there is no TXV on the coil, it is piston/orifice. How does that impact the SEER?

I'll ask him tomorrow for the cooling btu load, in writing.

The heat load has always been light in this house, I assume because downstairs is below ground on 3 sides, plus the house is very well insulated and double pane low-e argon windows installed, etc...

thanks for the advice. I wish I knew of this site BEFORE I made the purchase. It would have been great to have at least enough information to have known what to ask.

Post Likes
    Keep track of the downstairs humidty. If it gets higher, you'll end up with mold.
    If you discover that the humidity is higher with the bigger downstairs unit this week, you may be able to get him to put a smaller unit in before it causes you too much trouble.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Keep track of the downstairs humidty. If it gets higher, you'll end up with mold.
    If you discover that the humidity is higher with the bigger downstairs unit this week, you may be able to get him to put a smaller unit in before it causes you too much trouble.
    Okay, we'll watch that.

I've got to have them come back out today and enable the humidity control via the installer settings as is it's currently off. Also I want a technician out to check over both systems. The installers, IMO, weren't technically qualified to start-up these systems. I was here with them during the start-up and never saw any indoor/outdoor temps checked, current measured, etc. If the company has a qualified tech, I want them to recheck and adjust both systems properly.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by merciles View Post
    One thing, there is no TXV on the coil, it is piston/orifice. How does that impact the SEER?
    The performance #s that Tiger quoted in Post #6 have "+TXV" which means that this system is ARI-rated with a TXV. Without a TXV, the system is not rated and you will not get the stated SEER/EER performance numbers.

Post Likes
    Cool...

just keeps gettin' better....

Post Likes
    Upstairs:14 seer
    downstairs:14.2 seer
    This is according to Lennox dealers website for approved matchups and this is with a piston. I would just keep a eye on the downstairs humidity but unless it is oversized it should work better especially with the variable speed. Don't let the people here make you thank you made a poor decision. From where we are we do not no the exact situation. There is a good chance everything was done properly. They should be able to supply you with a copy of load calc if you request it. Like we preach on this site all the time if you feel comfortable with the contractor and they are well qualified you should be ok. There just seems to be a lot of Carrier and Trane fans on this site and alot of Lennox haters. All brands typically work well if installed properly.

Post Likes
    Brand selection isn't the concern. Going rom a 1.5 to a 2 ton system for an area that already had high humidity is. Doesn't matter what brand.

Post Likes
    I wonder if the old unit downstairs was 2.5 ton not 1.5 ton. That would make more sense according to what the contractor says. Sounds like that downstairs blower needs to be slowed down. Should work well with the dehumidifying capability of Comfort Sense t-stat. I just hate to see someone giving the contractor a really hard time on a job already done when they may have done nothing wrong. Good Luck

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by merciles View Post
    the load on the upstairs is mainly heat, humidity was not a problem. there is one bedroom upstairs and three downstairs.

so, he said the vari speed blower would not be needed on the upstairs unit.

makes sense, not the style house i am used to seeing.

you won't find the g50 furnace matched with that unit because it is not a v drive blower. just look for the unit and coil matchup.

Post Likes
    You are correct T527--That is exactly how I got the 14 seer even # for that system. The XC14 series does pretty good on seer ratings even without variable speed.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jjer View Post
    I wonder if the old unit downstairs was 2.5 ton not 1.5 ton. I just hate to see someone giving the contractor a really hard time on a job already done when they may have done nothing wrong. Good Luck
    Its possible the home owner doesn't know what size A/Cs he use to have.

But it wouldn't be the first time a contractor increased sized because they went by sq ft.
    Last edited by beenthere; 06-05-2008 at 03:18 PM.

Post Likes
    I Agree!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in