Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Upstairs:14 seer
    downstairs:14.2 seer
    This is according to Lennox dealers website for approved matchups and this is with a piston. I would just keep a eye on the downstairs humidity but unless it is oversized it should work better especially with the variable speed. Don't let the people here make you thank you made a poor decision. From where we are we do not no the exact situation. There is a good chance everything was done properly. They should be able to supply you with a copy of load calc if you request it. Like we preach on this site all the time if you feel comfortable with the contractor and they are well qualified you should be ok. There just seems to be a lot of Carrier and Trane fans on this site and alot of Lennox haters. All brands typically work well if installed properly.

Brand selection isn't the concern. Going rom a 1.5 to a 2 ton system for an area that already had high humidity is. Doesn't matter what brand.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I wonder if the old unit downstairs was 2.5 ton not 1.5 ton. That would make more sense according to what the contractor says. Sounds like that downstairs blower needs to be slowed down. Should work well with the dehumidifying capability of Comfort Sense t-stat. I just hate to see someone giving the contractor a really hard time on a job already done when they may have done nothing wrong. Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by merciles View Post
    the load on the upstairs is mainly heat, humidity was not a problem. there is one bedroom upstairs and three downstairs.

so, he said the vari speed blower would not be needed on the upstairs unit.

makes sense, not the style house i am used to seeing.

you won't find the g50 furnace matched with that unit because it is not a v drive blower. just look for the unit and coil matchup.

You are correct T527--That is exactly how I got the 14 seer even # for that system. The XC14 series does pretty good on seer ratings even without variable speed.

Quote Originally Posted by jjer View Post
    I wonder if the old unit downstairs was 2.5 ton not 1.5 ton. I just hate to see someone giving the contractor a really hard time on a job already done when they may have done nothing wrong. Good Luck
    Its possible the home owner doesn't know what size A/Cs he use to have.

But it wouldn't be the first time a contractor increased sized because they went by sq ft.
    Last edited by beenthere; 06-05-2008 at 03:18 PM.
    Contractor locator map

I Agree!!

I have been on medical leave from work for surgery and have been following this site because I miss my job. Been out six weeks. I was a service tech 9 years and now in sales. It just seems that sometimes on this site that people ask opinions on systems they just had installed and then someone comes along and tells them they should look at doing something different or at a different brand. Can you imagine giving a customer options and they pick what they want and then they call you back upset a week after you install it saying someone on the internet said they made the wrong choice. I have learned that if people read on the internet the sun is green they believe it.

I've had people say"well I read on line that, blah blah blah shouldn't be this way or should be that way".

I just tell them if it applies to their house or not.
    Its how you handle the suggestion that counts.
    Contractor locator map

After you are all done tring to control humidity with your a/c, consider a good dehumidifier like a Santa Fe. It is not your a/c's fault, you do not have enough cooling load to remove the moisture. Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Upstairs:14 seer
    downstairs:14.2 seer
    This is according to Lennox dealers website for approved matchups and this is with a piston. I would just keep a eye on the downstairs humidity but unless it is oversized it should work better especially with the variable speed. Don't let the people here make you thank you made a poor decision. From where we are we do not no the exact situation. There is a good chance everything was done properly. They should be able to supply you with a copy of load calc if you request it. Like we preach on this site all the time if you feel comfortable with the contractor and they are well qualified you should be ok. There just seems to be a lot of Carrier and Trane fans on this site and alot of Lennox haters. All brands typically work well if installed properly.
    Thanks for finding that. I couldn't find the info for a coil without a TXV. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Brand selection isn't the concern. Going rom a 1.5 to a 2 ton system for an area that already had high humidity is. Doesn't matter what brand.
    I will be looking into a dehumidifier for downstairs.

I wonder if the old unit downstairs was 2.5 ton not 1.5 ton. That would make more sense according to what the contractor says. Sounds like that downstairs blower needs to be slowed down. Should work well with the dehumidifying capability of Comfort Sense t-stat. I just hate to see someone giving the contractor a really hard time on a job already done when they may have done nothing wrong. Good Luck

Downstairs was a 1.5 ton, upstairs a 2 ton. HS9-211 and HS9-261 respectively. Not giving them a hard time, I don't think. The installation crew was good at what they did, rip out 2 old units and get 2 new units in and running, in a day. I've asked for a technician to come out today and check both systems over, air temps., charge, and get the downstairs unit working in the dehumidification mode. I think that's reasonable.

I also asked him about the TXV versus piston setup, they didn't know the answer but called Lennox and told me about an hour ago exactly what you posted at teh top of the page. I'm very satisfied with those SEER levels as I had asked for 14 SEER systems when we started.

Quote Originally Posted by teddy bear View Post
    After you are all done tring to control humidity with your a/c, consider a good dehumidifier like a Santa Fe. It is not your a/c's fault, you do not have enough cooling load to remove the moisture. Regards TB
    That's probably how it will go for downstairs. This is the house from hell, humidity has always been difficult downstairs.

I really don't have a problem with the contractor, he's been available when I had questions, he's sending a service tech out to recheck everything today, enable the dehumidification program and is going to rerun the line set in the attic because it interferes with access. Should it have all been done right initially? In a perfect world, maybe, but the main thing is, he's taking care of me after the sale.

If you have a VS blower for the downstairs, and are going ot use teh slow ramp up, its better if its a TXV.
    Contractor locator map

You may want to ask your contractor about a Lennox Humiditrol system. Check it out on their website. You may want to try your new variable speed system with the dehumidifying capability of the thermostat before you do anything. The only downfall of that is that the thermostat will overshoot desired temp by up to 3 degrees to achieve desired humidity. This does not happen with the Humiditrol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast