Thread: TRANE XR90 Rusty by inducer motor

Post Likes

TRANE XR90 Rusty by inducer motor

Hello,

the furnace is about 10 years old, and there is a rusty area by the inducer motor, photo shows where the rust is at, sorry not a good photo. rust looks like it is behind or underneath inducer motor. why did it get wet there?

2nd photo is of corrosion on vent pipe which is next to inducer motor,,,,,,clamp is corroded.

Would I have to take inducer motor off?Name:  0318151900a.jpg
Views: 4918
Size:  145.2 KBName:  0318151900.jpg
Views: 3292
Size:  35.4 KB

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by handeett View Post
    Hello,

the furnace is about 10 years old, and there is a rusty area by the inducer motor, photo shows where the rust is at, sorry not a good photo. rust looks like it is behind or underneath inducer motor. why did it get wet there?

2nd photo is of corrosion on vent pipe which is next to inducer motor,,,,,,clamp is corroded.

Would I have to take inducer motor off?Name:  0318151900a.jpg
Views: 4918
Size:  145.2 KBName:  0318151900.jpg
Views: 3292
Size:  35.4 KB
    1. it is leaking.
    2. probably due to a leak
    3. if you do and you do not seal it up properly it will leak worse.

Post Likes

Better pics of rust corrossion

Name:  100_2406.jpg
Views: 3498
Size:  92.3 KBName:  100_2417.jpg
Views: 3077
Size:  109.2 KBName:  100_2418.jpg
Views: 3105
Size:  79.5 KBName:  100_2419.jpg
Views: 3210
Size:  41.3 KBName:  100_2425.jpg
Views: 3087
Size:  45.1 KBName:  100_2426.jpg
Views: 3327
Size:  138.3 KB

plastic hose looks like its either dirty inside the hose, or it has mold in it

Post Likes
    Looks like you may want to get a tech to service it, before it gets worse or costs more money.

Post Likes
    There is a known issue with these furnaces and that particular leaking. You more than likely have a failed "cold header" (or at the very least a failed inducer transition) which is allowing exhaust condensation to leak out. Look at the screws around the unit, are any of them corroded/rusty? They shouldn't be. The leaking water will strip and rust galvanized steel pretty quickly. Eventually that water will short out your circuit board and you'll have more issues.

You 100% need a technician to come and examine this. Insist on someone familiar with these units. If the "cold header" is failed, at the minimum you'd be looking at a new heat exchanger as this part is not field replaceable. A trained Trane tech will have the service bulletin from Trane about this and be able to properly test it for you. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REPAIR THIS YOURSELF. Simply adding some silicone won't help - the leaking will continue to get worse.

This picture is FYI - more than likely this is what's going on behind the exhaust motor:

Name:  Trane Bad Cold Header 4.JPG
Views: 3552
Size:  146.7 KB
    "We always fix it right the second time".

All posts are strictly my opinions and not those of my employer. I cannot make statements on behalf of my employer.

All advice posted by me is for educational purposes only, HVAC repairs should only be conducted by trained & qualified people.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in