friendly competetition

Have a contract with alot of equipment. A previous employee and friend who use to have contract also competing for work. I find deficeicies, make customer aware, and customer goes back to former employee. Former employee always asking questions about equipment. Tough position, you guys have been there, whats a good avenue to persue. Good friends with customer and former employee.

If your "friend " got the contract instead of you, and is now asking you questions on how to repair the equipment, I'd tell him to bag it out his a**. I'd charge a consulting fee to the friend every time he ask a question. Say nothing to the customer. Badmouthing someone else makes you look stupid. Leave the customer your card and let them know you are available to them if needed. Your friend will cause himself to go down in flames. You stay professional and you'll get the call.

It's tough. The guy is sharp. Taught me alot. Just decided that he was going to do his own thing. He is doing work for this engineer also messing with my units that he no longer takes care of. Hes a one man shop. In the meantime, he isn't signinig my checks either. We quote a repair and this guy is handed our estimate. He can beat it. His short coming is he can only be at one place at a time. Has no employees. Cant handle the mantenance agreement. Bad position for me. But then again competition is always around the corner no matter what job your on.

Friends any money DO NOT MIX.

So you only have to decide which takes preference.
    making money for yourself and paying your employees. Or keeping this guy for a friend, and maybe laying off an employee or 2 later if your work slows up because you helped this guy to get the contract from you.

Apparently you think more of him, then he thinks of you. Or he wouldn't beat your prices.
    You see what he puts more inportance on.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

That's not friendly competition....that's a Low Baller. JMO

Alot of people can beat a price when they have the last bid......
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Quote Originally Posted by smokin68 View Post
    Alot of people can beat a price when they have the last bid......
    I might use that next time I get shopped