Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home fries.

Home fries.

There are probably as many ways to cook breakfast potatoes as there are to cook eggs. Around here we call breakfast potatoes, "home fries". Different parts of the country have different names and recipes.

Since tomato season is coming soon I thought I'd post one of my originals.

4- Med. to Large potatoes
    2- medium tomatoes.
    1- Med onion
    1-Table spoon dry basil
    1- Teaspoon garlic powder.
    3/4 cup olive oil.

Cut potatoes into dice size pieces. Leave the skin on. Put these in a micro wave bowl. Pour half of the oil on top. Micro wave on high uncovered for 7.5 minutes. Stir and micro wave for another 7.5 mins.

Dice the tomatoes and onion. Sauté in a frying pan with the rest of the olive oil, garlic powder and basil. When the onions are transparent it is time to add the microwaved potatoes. Mix all together while cooking. Cook until the potatoes are browned. You might have to add a little oil. Serves 4.
    Last edited by Green Mountain; 06-02-2008 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by benncool View Post
    There are probably as many ways to cook breakfast potatoes as there are to cook eggs. Around here we call breakfast potatoes, "home fries". Different parts of the country have different names and recipes.

2- medium tomatoes.
    1- Med onion
    1-Table spoon dry basil
    3/4 cup olive oil.

Cut potatoes into dice size pieces. Leave the skin on. Put these in a micro wave bowl. Pour half of the oil on top. Micro wave on high uncovered for 7.5 minutes. Stir and micro wave for another 7.5 mins.

Dice the tomatoes and onion. Sauté in a frying pan with the rest of the olive oil, garlic powder and basil. When the onions are transparent it is time to add the microwaved potatoes. Mix all together while cooking. Cook until the potatoes are browned. You might have to add a little oil. Serves 4.
    That sounds good. I've never tried it with tomatoes. But this Sunday I'm going to.

My favorite way is what my mother in law taught me. Leave the skin on, slice the russets almost a quarter inch thick, use vegetable shortening (that's the trick, no veggie oil) cook on a cast iron frying pan just under medium for a while. Like an hour and a half. Leave 'em alone most the time. Do not cover and don't turn more than every twenty minutes. Some salt, pepper, and garlic powder.

So crispy and brown. MMMMMM.

Last edited by Fixerdude; 06-02-2008 at 08:47 PM. Reason: double post

Cut potatoes into dice size pieces. .

Well, I dont know what size Dice likes his pieces. Do I need to ask him????
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Thats sounds good! I would add a little bit of seasoned salt, I love that stuff on potatoes!
    "Correct Installation is the Key"

.1 has killed more HX then Rush Limbaugh

What is your TESP?

What no green bell pepper????

sounds good. Wonder though, have you ever tried to add sugar to the recipe ? I did and it was rave here. Just a tea spoon will do..
    You don't have to ASK

What I'm Against...

If you know what

I'm For...

Quote Originally Posted by spotts View Post
    Well, I dont know what size Dice likes his pieces. Do I need to ask him????

You better find out. You'll be cooking 400 lbs of patotoes one week end in August.

I already have 48 lbs of Colorado raised Coleman Natural Beef steaks aging for ya'll Buckaroos!
    Last edited by spotts; 06-04-2008 at 05:30 PM.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Another way to do this is to use boiled or steamed potatoes. Dice them up and saute in butter and shortening ( or olive oil)with onion and spices. I use parsley, garlic, onion , paprika ,and rosemary along with salt and pepper. It takes about 10-15 minutes if you start with cold but cooked potatoes. I cook the potatoes ahead. This saves a lot of time.

Peel the taters, cut them into about pencil-size and dice some onions..Get a cast-iron skillet(one that is cooked in), fry them till the taters are almost crispy and sticking together and the onions are black...........simple but the best .. IMO

2- medium tomatoes.
    1- Med onion
    1-Table spoon dry basil
    3/4 cup olive oil.

Sounds good. I'll have to try it. Thanks.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast