Thread: High-SEER heat pump outdoor units to fit narrow side yards?

Post Likes

High-SEER heat pump outdoor units to fit narrow side yards?

My side yards are narrow, and it's a challenge finding a high-efficiency heat pump whose outdoor unit won't bulge out too far from the house.

I'm compiling a table of high-seer models vs. how far each protrudes from the house. Here's what I have so far:

Brand Model SEER depth clearance total source

Carrier Infinity 25VNA 20 35" 6" 41" http://dms.hvacpartners.com/docs/100...25vna-03pd.pdf
    Lennox XP25 23 39.5" 6" 45.5" http://tech.lennoxintl.com/C03e7o14l...ShbC/1252b.pdf
    Am.Std Platinum 20 20 29.75" ? ? http://www.americanstandardair.com/p...eat-pump-.html

I plan to add Mitsubishi and Fujitsu even though their ducted models aren't quite high-SEER, since they're so thin.
    It takes more time than I'd expect to dig up this info.

If anyone else has the info handy and wants to help complete that table, please jump in!

Post Likes
    Carrier and york/coleman use to make a horz discharge heat pump. I will see if i or someone else can find the numbers.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by buford View Post
    Carrier and york/coleman use to make a horz discharge heat pump. I will see if i or someone else can find the numbers.
    Carrier is The 25HHA4 is up to 15 SEER Heat Pump

Post Likes
    I found a carrier 38QRR not really any kind of high eff though.

Post Likes
    Soon, Mitsubishi is coming out with a conventional air handler to mate with its hyperheat outdoor units that will beat the 3 you mentioned.

Post Likes
    That's interesting. Where'd you hear about it, and how can I find out more? Does it have a model name yet?

Post Likes

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Soon, Mitsubishi is coming out with a conventional air handler to mate with its hyperheat outdoor units that will beat the 3 you mentioned.
    Samsung has one in their DVM Eco line. One of my reps brought a training trailer by the shop the other day outfitted with a 1 ton conventional air handler and a 2 ton medium static air handler on a 3 ton outdoor
    Heating/Cooling Services Inc.
    www.heatingandcoolingservicesinc.com

Post Likes
    Thanks for the tip about Samsung DVM Eco. Must be real new; the only pages in the web about it seem very much not oriented towards US residences.
    Got a link?

Post Likes
    I couldn't find a link, you'd have to talk to a Samsung dealer in your area. The conventional air handler is new but it exists and any Samsung distributer should have it or be able to get it.

Post Likes
    What are the concerns with locating the condensing units in the Backyard?
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    The house is a city historic landmark, and we get a big tax break in exchange for renovating
    the house and garden, and keeping everything true to its original look.
    A small condenser the service area of the side yard would probably be ok, as would solar panels if not visible from the ground or the street, but condensers might really stand out in the back yard.

Besides, the side yard is closer to the indoor units, and would require a shorter refrigerant line run.

Post Likes
    Looks like the side yards are just too narrow for a heat pump to fit and obey code, so long run to backyard it is.

Post Likes
    Have you looked into any micro channel brands, I thought those had smaller footprints than typical coil units. Nordyne seems to make some taller units but smaller L X W .Their 16 SEER is 31" L x W and 43.5" tall up to 5 tons.
    Last edited by Bazooka Joe; 05-12-2015 at 05:45 PM.

Post Likes

I would look into the Carrier 24VNA9 or 25VNA8 - it's a 18/19 seer 5 stage unit with a VERY small footprint. The 2 and 3 ton condensers have a 25" x 25" footprint.

Post Likes
    Nope, I'm just going through the major brands (carrier, lennox, trane, maybe mitsubishi) one by one and getting estimates.

The local Lennox guy is next, and he does Mitsubishi too, wonder which one he'll recommend.

Post Likes
    Water source heatpumps have zero external footprint, are ultra high efficiency, and offer 30%tax break federal and most states offer additional breaks...
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...

Find a HVAC-Talk Contractor by clicking here

Click below to BECOME a pro member
    https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdispl...ip-Information

Do you go to a boat repairman with a sinking boat, and tell him to put in a bigger motor when he tells you to fix the holes?

I am yourmrfixit

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in