Thread: SEER Rating

Post Likes

SEER Rating

Hi,

I have a builder installed system from 2003.

Lennox Merit Series

Outside Unit: 13ACC-048-230-01
    Furnace: G40UH-48B-090-03
    Coil : CH33-48B-2F

I wanted to find out what is the "max" or stated SEER rating of this system.

Also, was attempting to use the ARI site to find out the "actual" SEER rating, but could not find these model numbers.

Thoughts ?

Thanks.

Post Likes
    12.45 seer with expansion valve, 11.90 with piston.

Post Likes
    Thanks. I belive this is a scroll compressor.

Was there a calculation involved or is this something I could have looked up somewhere ? Just curious.. for the future.

Post Likes
    i am a Lennox dealer and got it from their dealer site.

Post Likes
    I have a similar setup, if a Lennox dealer might be able to help me out as well:

I have a builder-installed system from late 2005.

Lennox Merit Series

Condensing Unit: 13ACC-042-230
    Furnace: G40UH-48B-090-7
    Evap. Coil : CH33-44/48B-2F

Guessing 13-13.5 SEER with the slightly smaller 3.5 ton condensing unit? Many thanks in advanced.

Post Likes
    Anybody?

Post Likes
    11.7 SEER with piston or expansion valve. 40,000 BTUs/Hr cooling.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

Post Likes
    80% AFUE gas furnace, 88,000 BTUs/Hr input.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Neill View Post
    11.7 SEER with piston or expansion valve. 40,000 BTUs/Hr cooling.
    Kevin, much thanks... But I'm puzzled, why would my system be substantially less efficient than the OP's, although mine has a smaller nominal outdoor unit? Isn't a slightly oversized evap/blower or slightly undersized condensing unit the way most manufacturers get the better efficiencies from a single compressor/speed setup?

Post Likes
    Sometimes. Actually most times. But it depends on the size & match up. Often the larger sizes do not do as well as the smaller sizes.

Post Likes
    SEER rating are so embellished by EPA mandates and manufacturing testing. The only thing that truly matters is EER because it can be measured.

Post Likes
    I will agree with that. SEER seems to have very little with energy savings. It is a rating invented by a committee.

EER is a much better indicator of performance.

Post Likes
    Interesting. But EER was also a rating invented by a committee, no? If SEER is such a poor rating method, join/lobby the applicable AHRI committee and change it! AHRI is not operated by any one manufacturer, so I do not see how SEER would stick around if it were such a poor measuring stick.

Anyhow, is the EER rating available for my configuration? Thanks again!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by air2spare View Post
    SEER rating are so embellished by EPA mandates and manufacturing testing. The only thing that truly matters is EER because it can be measured.
    EER can't be accurately measured for the first 10 to 15 minutes on many units. So its not worth a lot for those times that a unit only runs 20 minutes.

When is the last time you actually made an accurate EER measuement/test on a unit in the field.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by leander311 View Post
    Interesting. But EER was also a rating invented by a committee, no? If SEER is such a poor rating method, join/lobby the applicable AHRI committee and change it! AHRI is not operated by any one manufacturer, so I do not see how SEER would stick around if it were such a poor measuring stick.

Anyhow, is the EER rating available for my configuration? Thanks again!
    AHRI is a joint effort (voluntary I might add) of HVAC equipment manufacturers to appease the DOEs mandate for more efficiencies. Must of us would call it smoke and mirrors.
    SEER is a measurement over a season. EER is real-time

EER=BTUH/WATTS

Post Likes
    I understand, was just pointing out both can be "smoke and mirrors" depending on who you ask. They both are maintained by the same governing entity, and both appease different manufacturers/bureaucrats/customers/installers at different times.

Either way, glad I've got what looks like a decent installation, using sufficient return air and filter sizing, with a decent efficiency considering it is "tract-home" basic equipment installed prior to the 13-SEER mandate.

Post Likes
    Kevin,

I finally closed on this house last week!

Interesting, I noticed in the ARI charts for this condensing unit, I'm listed at 12.95 SEER and 11.15 EER for my cond/evap coil combo (this is for TXV, I'm reading 12.25/11.15). 11.7kW of cooling is listed... were you possibly reading from the wrong column, or do you have a different resource that shows ratings with my particular blower/furnace? Thx!

Nick

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by leander311 View Post
    Kevin,

I finally closed on this house last week!

Interesting, I noticed in the ARI charts for this condensing unit, I'm listed at 12.95 SEER and 11.15 EER for my cond/evap coil combo (this is for TXV, I'm reading 12.25/11.15). 11.7kW of cooling is listed... were you possibly reading from the wrong column, or do you have a different resource that shows ratings with my particular blower/furnace? Thx!

Nick

12.95 and 11.15 are the #s on the Lennox site. only way furnace matters is if you have a v drive blower..... you don't.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in