Thread: Need help deciding on a system. Trane vs. Lennox

Post Likes

Need help deciding on a system. Trane vs. Lennox

We live in Arkansas in a 2 story house. (2000 sq ft down, 1000 sq ft up). I have received a couple of bids to replace the condenser and coil for the upstairs unit (Trane XL1000 2 ton, 10 seer, single speed blower) and need help/input.

*Note: I will not be changing out the furnace

1st quote: Trane XR13 and matching coil* (Also quoted XR14 for about 10% more)

2nd quote: Lennox XC13 and matching coil

Both bids included all labor, charging of system and cleanup.

2nd quote is about 10% less than the Trane XR13 quoted job.

Having said all that I would like input on the following:
    =========================================
    1) What is the advantage of the XR14 over the XR13

2) Not being as familiar with the Lennox equipment, in your opinion which of the 3 systems would be a better choice and why.

Post Likes
    1)The XR14 will save you more money to run then the XR13.

2) The one with the better installation crew, and service techs for later on down the road.

Post Likes
    es

XR14 and go heat pump with matching coil.

when furnace needs replacing change out to a var spd air handler.

IMO

Post Likes
    The XR14 will likely save nothing in terms of efficiency (should be just 13 SEER--need coil model # to confirm) with the single-speed blower. You will get the reciprocating compressor whichever way you go in the 2-ton size. In my opinion, 10% more isn't worth it for no apparent gain.

Post Likes
    take the Lennox with a scroll over the Trane recip compressor every time.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by t527ed View Post
    take the Lennox with a scroll over the Trane recip compressor every time.
    Amen Brother! Take the XC13!

Post Likes
    Both units come from good manufactures, but is good to get references and check them. I have a heat pump with my system and saved a bundle this heating season. My pay back was lass than 1 season for the upgrade. My customers in my region project a 2 year pay back on up grade. But if you're just looking to replace ac only, I would recommend the Lennox but check references and compare warranties. We offer 5 year p & L.

Post Likes
    I just put in a new Lennox XP 19 heat pump and furnace last week. It replaced my 22 year-old Lennox A/C and furnace. For what its worth, my Lennox quote was about 8%-20% lower than other name brands and 10-15% higher than off brands. I had zero problems with my previous Lennox system other than a freon leak that started in year 21. Too soon to tell on the new system.

Post Likes
    what is the model and yr of the furnaces you are keeping? You may be deciding to keep furnaces that have an obsolete ignition board and flame recognition system, if the furnaces are over 10 yrs old, the upgrade kit for these units installed is about the same price as it would be to replace them at the time of install. I prefer trane unless your talking the to the lennox signiture series. If you not Buying the top of the line lennox, I would by a standerd trane, the xr14 is not worht the extra $

Post Likes
    Thanks for all of the input, keep it coming.

As I would expect the house is divided on the brand (classic Chevy vs. Ford), but its good, I appreciated it.

The furnace is 9 years old and is staying. Heating upstairs is not a problem because of heat transfer from the first floor. Additionally, I added insulation to the attic to make it R45+.

Great suggestion on the references as one of the contractors I am not as familar with.

thanks
    es5150

Post Likes
    ES5150

You may be perfectly satisfied with nat gas heat and that's fine.

But while there may be disagreement on brand/mdl of AC(or HP), if you are interested in operating costs, then now is the time to leverage what I believe are reasonable electric rates and look into a heat pump.

IMO

fuel comparison calculator
    http://www.warmair.com/html/fuel_cost_comparisons.htm

Post Likes
    Thanks everyone for their input, it was much appreciated. Yesterday I decided on the Trane XR13, met with the contractor last night, and it was installed today. Very pleased with their sense of urgency and follow-up.

Thanks again.

es5150

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in