Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Variable Speed Air Handler new user question

I just had a new Goodman 16 SEER VSAH with Amana 4ton unit installed. More insulation blown in the attic. This is a Heat Pump system.

My observations are that the blower starts up slow and ramps up to high. Then the blower will jump to low and ramp back up. This is very noticeable. I have never had a variable speed blower. I expected it to ramp up and down smooth.

I can get more details if needed. Just need another opinion. Cooling is Great. Humidity seems ok also. Outside temp in TX in June is 70 to 95.
    Inside is set between 74 and 77 depending on the time of day or night.
    JStigler

I would...

call the contractor back and ask him. Could be normal, or could need a change of dip switch. Have him check it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    call the contractor back and ask him. Could be normal, or could need a change of dip switch. Have him check it for you.
    I have talked to the contractor and he seems to think this is normal operation. I feel there is some minor tweeking needed.
    JStigler

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Where in TX?

R-Value in attic was ,and is now??

Quote Originally Posted by jstigler View Post
    I have talked to the contractor and he seems to think this is normal operation. I feel there is some minor tweeking needed.
    JStigler
    I am a homeowner who has a VS air handler on a Trane system, mine does nothing like that. Unfortunately I don't know whether having VS in common, outweighs the fact your brand is Goodman. All I can say is if this is normal, and someone can explain it in elementary terms for us customers, that would be most interesting.

Best of luck -- Pstu

Thats not normal. Unless you have a humidistat, or other device added to control humidity by slowing the blower. And your humidity is jumping like that. Which is unlikely.

More likely a miswire.

Call the contractor back again, and ask him to check it out. If he says its normal. Tell him you sleep better if he checks it.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Air Handler don't determine the SEER rating. They contribute to it but don't have their own rating.

Your contractor put a Goodman VS Air Handler on an Amana Heat Pump? Did they offer to replace the entire system for matching reasons???
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Quote Originally Posted by iraqveteran View Post
    Air Handler don't determine the SEER rating. They contribute to it but don't have their own rating.

Your contractor put a Goodman VS Air Handler on an Amana Heat Pump? Did they offer to replace the entire system for matching reasons???
    I think they do match..

Goodman 16 seer HP is single stage
    Amana 16 Seer is a two stage

If I am not mistaken.....

....If I am mistaken....we will all know shortly LOL
    I need a new signature.....

Quote Originally Posted by I_bend_metal View Post
    I think they do match..

Goodman 16 seer HP is single stage
    Amana 16 Seer is a two stage

If I am not mistaken.....

....If I am mistaken....we will all know shortly LOL
    I get that. But why install a Goodman and Amana is my question. I thought they were essentially same system. Thats like putting in a Trane OD on an AS AH. Just doesn't make a lot of sense.

Well if you are mistaken then we both are mistaken. Look on the bright side. We will look retarded together. Can't single anyone out here. We hurt their feelings.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Could be a package kind of deal....one price for the Goodman indoor unit with the variable speed blower and then upgrade from single stage compressor to 2 stage compressor on the outdoor unit. Since Goodman doesn't have the 2 stage you get the Amana instead.

(We do this with some of our packages, just haven't gotten into the 2 stage HP's and AC's yet)

Then again you could be right and I am just retarded

Quote Originally Posted by I_bend_metal View Post
    Then again you could be right and I am just retarded

Lets just call it a draw. You can be the retard and I can draw the retard.

here he is

I have had som VS speed motors Surge on high static, But this is a continous surge. Does the unit ramp the same in heat as it does in cool? The drop out points on some brands are different from heat to cool, This surging issue was only found on york/colman units

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast