Need advice in Norfolk

Hi,

Background. I just moved to Norfolk VA into a house built in 1930, which has a natural gas furnance heating hot water radiators on both stories (water heater is only other gas appliance). The previous owner installed a Lennox Elite split air conditioning system less than two years ago to cool (and sell) the house - with a CB 30M-46-4P air handler in the attic and a HS 26-042-6P outside the house. The previous owner did not install the optional ECB-29 electric heat strip - possibly because it would have required upgrading the electric supply, which consisted of the old style screw-in fuses - and not many of those. After buying the house and discovering that some electric circuits had been disconnected to install the Lennox system, I paid to have the electric upgraded with a modern (and safer) supply with lots of capacity.

As natural gas is getting pretty expensive here ($380 heating bills are a new experience for me), I am thinking about adding the ECB-29 to help out with winter heating. Can someone tell me what I would need to do this? I called one company and, after telling me I had to talk to a sales person rather than a technician, the sales person told me I would have to replace every single part of the system - because "those parts are not upgradable". The cost then quoted to me was almost what I paid for my last new car.

Any help would be much appreciated - including any opinion on why natural gas is so expensive (I thought it was supposed to be cheaper than electric...).

NewToNorfolk

Confused

Quote Originally Posted by NewToNorfolk View Post
    Hi,
    just moved to Norfolk VA into a house built in 1930, which has a natural gas furnance heating hot water radiators on both stories (water heater is only other gas appliance).

After buying the house and discovering that some electric circuits had been disconnected to install the Lennox system, I paid to have the electric upgraded with a modern (and safer) supply with lots of capacity.

As natural gas is getting pretty expensive here ($380 heating bills are a new experience for me), I am thinking about adding the ECB-29 to help out with winter heating. Can someone tell me what I would need to do this? Lots of $$ for electricity

... - including any opinion on why natural gas is so expensive
    (I thought it was supposed to be cheaper than electric...).

NewToNorfolk
    $1.30 / Therm versus $0.12 / kwhr

100,000 BTUs
    $ 1.40 N.G.
    $ 3.16 Electric strip

N.G. is much cheaper than straight electric

$ 1.17 Heat Pump ( C.O.P. 3)

$2.42 Oil
    $4.25 Propane

The problem is more likely to be the 1930's construction.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

I am in Norfolk
    Tom - 757-287-7863

Confused Norfolkin a rockin

Quote Originally Posted by classicrock4you View Post
    I am in Norfolk
    Tom - 757-287-7863
    So,

what station should I tune in to find the rock'in ?
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

It's been many years since I was last in Norfolk but every time I see the name "Norfolk" I'm always reminded of the Norfolk High School cheerleaders chant:

"We don't drink!

We don't cuss!

Norfolk!
    Norfolk!
    Norfolk!"

I play top 40 music
    just top 40 when I had hair
    and LBJ was in charge
    and Paul McCartney had a band before Wings
    and next to your rifle the most important thing was plenty of dry socks

OK.....Things are MUCH worse - would appreciate opinions

First, I want to thank those that responded to the earlier query. Looks like new windows and insulation are in order (right after winning the lottery) and the natural gas furnance may stay (read on however).

Two days ago we came back from a movie (free advice - Remember Indiana Jones as he was in Raiders of the Lost Ark) to a very hot house. Quick investigation discovered the HS 26-042-6P air conditioning unit outside the house is not coming on. Fan in the CB 30M-46-4P air handler in the attic seems to work fine (responds to fan switch on thermostat) but no cooling at all.

Believing you let the pros do their jobs, I called the company that installed the units for the previous owner less than two years ago and was told by a (polite) technician that they might make it out to see me next week (maybe). He also told me I could call around - but would likely get no help before end of next week. He said his boss would call me back - which he did not.

As the heat index yesterday (and today) broke 106, and is forcast to do so every day until Wed or Thursday, I would appreciate any help on what the problem might be (temp in the house averages 99 as I type).

First, I could find nothing frozen. Pipes running to wall are ambient temp. I then confirmed (using my trusty Fluke MM) the unit is getting 240 volts. With the disconnect pulled and MM showing no electricity (still have all my fingers and plan on staying that way), I then tried turning the fan with a screwdriver - seems to be harder to turn that it should - causing me to wonder if a fan less than two years old should be burned out? BTW, what is the warranty for these units? I think its five years but can't swear to that.

Beyond help on getting this one fixed before my family succumbs to the heat (thinking of sending them to a hotel), if this unit is dead - and given my previous post - what would you recommend for a replacement (another AC or a heat pump?).

Any help appreciated.