Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by aircooled53 View Post
    http://www.ebuild.com/articles/459336.hwx

Carrier Pure Air Filter .

There is not a filter that comes close to this for residential application.
    That looks like quite the filter. Are they currently available?

has anyone had trouble with sinuses uses the clean effects in a home

has anyone had trouble with sinuses uses the clean effects in a home. I put one of these in my home and I must admit I have a lot less dust on my furniture. however I have a bad taste and smell in my mouth and feel like Im getting a sore throat all the time. does anyone else have this problem. i am an asthmatic and not sure why this is happening. Please Email me if anyone has any ideas.

gfont@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by gfont View Post
    has anyone had trouble with sinuses uses the clean effects in a home. I put one of these in my home and I must admit I have a lot less dust on my furniture. however I have a bad taste and smell in my mouth and feel like Im getting a sore throat all the time. does anyone else have this problem. i am an asthmatic and not sure why this is happening. Please Email me if anyone has any ideas.

gfont@aol.com
    I read the except below on consumereports.org

"ELECTROSTATIC PRECIPITATORS

Best for low operating costs. Some do a fine job of removing dust, pollen, and smoke.

But all create some ozone, which can aggravate asthma and decrease lung function. Models with small fans or no fans are ineffective at removing dust and smoke. Models with a fan can be noisy at high speeds. Models with plates need more maintenance than filters.

How they work An electrical charge is applied to the particles drawn into the device. Then the particles are captured onto flat plates or filters."

Key1

The Carrier Air Purifier is the only one I know about that has been shown to kill viruses.

When it comes to cleaning, I always prefer to throw away the filter without re-releasing the mess it caught while I am trying to clean it.

The Carrier filter HV power supply also seams to be more tolerant to moisture than the AmerStand/Trane unit.

Quote Originally Posted by nubbin View Post
    The Carrier Air Purifier is the only one I know about that has been shown to kill viruses.

When it comes to cleaning, I always prefer to throw away the filter without re-releasing the mess it caught while I am trying to clean it.

The Carrier filter HV power supply also seams to be more tolerant to moisture than the AmerStand/Trane unit.
    wrong, clean effects claims the same thing, but I would not recommend selling either system with that claim or you will be getting called everytime little Joey has a cold and getting chewed cause that fancy filter you sold isn't working.
    You can't fix stupid

The cleaneffects/accuclean can be mounted to a carrier furnace, but I had to get directions from members here on how to do it as my contractor couldnt figure it out. Then it took them several tries to get it right.

You attach a 115v relay to the EAC terminal and carry a 24v signal through that to the accuclean. My contractor initially had it working with my old thermostat, then it stopped working when they installed the infinity thermo, then they tried hard wiring it on all the time which defeats several of the safety and health capabilities. Then they burned out a relay because they used a 24v one instead of a 115v one.

They did get it working, but at that point it'd been wired and rewired and had the wrong voltage applied to it enough times that I had them take it out and put a carrier infinity unit in its place.

The cleaneffects and the carrier furnace were different sized cabinets, and different colors, for what thats worth.

The cleaneffects was a pain in the butt to clean, and I have a shopvac and a big compressor sitting right next to the furnace. The prefilter needed cleaning about once a month and after 2 months the static pressure in the system had gone up enough to warrant cleaning the cells. The infinity cleaner has no prefilter, just the paper element. I found the replacements can be found fairly inexpensively if you shop around.

The static pressure according to my infinity control is higher with the infinity cleaner than the cleaneffects...not a lot, but about .05.

My wife has asthma and I have some allergies. Both of us feel there has been improvement in the health issues since we installed the filters. I dont think we perceive any difference between the two healthwise. My wife would have problems with her asthma if there was any serious level of ozone in the air.

We seem to have less dust around the house, and while these sorts of filters wont really do much for large, heavy allergens like animal hair and big dust particles, they should do well for very small particles that stay suspended in the air...those can also be drawn deeply into the lungs and are a major problem for some asthmatics.

If I had to do it again, I'd make sure I picked equipment from the same company and wouldnt try to mix and match. It looks lousy, it can be troublesome to install, and I personally dont think theres a ton of difference between products from different companies with similar technologies/product stratification.

Hope all that helps.

Thanks cfb.. It helps and will stay with the same manufacturer to get a matching system.

This info may be dated.. but this is what was given to as a comparison last winter.

Trane has a 10 minute delay once the fan operates before the air cleaner begins to work.Carrier starts working right away. (Many heating/cooling cycles are less then 10 mins which means the Trane air cleaner hasnt done a thing.

Trane pre filter must be cleaned every 2 months.Carrier air purifier cartridge can be set up to be changed when it is actually dirty based on TrueSense dirty filter algorithms.

Trane collection cells must be cleaned every 6 months.Carrier never needs cleaning.

Trane field charger must be cleaned by a technician once per year.Carrier never needs cleaned.

Page 4 of Trane instruction manual states..

It is recommended the filter be vacuumed outside the home to ensure particles on the filter are not reintroduced into the air.Persons highly sensitive to the collected particle should wear appropriate respiratory protection while cleaning the filter.

Carrier unit captures/kills the viruses and bacteria so it doesn't matter what you do when you change the filter.

To change the Trane collection cells you must remove the cartridge,vacuum both sides,use a low pressure wash on it,use warm water to remove stubborn stains(tobacco smoke),tap the dells to remove excess water,allow cells to dry before reinstalling.

To change the Carrier air purifier cartridge, you simply turn the power off with the button on the front,slide out the filter,slide in the new one and turn the power back on.

You are almost accurate on the Trane filter. The filter will only have a 10 minute delay of operation if the power has been turned off to the filter then turned back on (such as when you clean it). Every other time the filter begins working as soon as the blower turns on. This delay could also be bypassed if you so desired very easily, and it explains this in the operating instructions that should be posted near the filter.

The delay was initially programmed into the unit to allow for a 10 minute drying time after the filter had been cleaned. Trane no longer recommends washing the filters with water and only suggests cleaning with the vacuum.

Other than that you seemed to be accurate.

And I have no first hand experience with the Carrier filters, so I can't accurately comment on those.

Simple

Tranes is a air cleaner only with a UV light. won't kill bacteria or viruses.
    Carriers is a purifier and a air cleaner, big difference. will kill bacteria and viruses and mold spores and fungi even anthaxs grade material.
    Do it right the first time.

Smile

"A Harvard-led study recently proved that American Standard AccuClean™ removes over 99% of the common flu, or influenza A virus, from the filtered air in your home."

If you want a UV light you can always add one to a CleanEffects. There's nothing you can you do to a carrier filter to make it 99.98% effective at .1 microns.
    White Bear Township, Minnesota
    www.summitheating.com

Guys both of these units are good filters under ideal conditions and freshly cleaned. But after a couple of days they loose there efficiency because of the cells loading up. After the cells load up they maintain there merv ratings because of the restriction at the cells. After they are caked with dirt, lint and what ever else. You won't see any reduction in biologics because the cells are completely covered up. I'll post a better discription on a written paper from the office in the morning. After they load up the only thing the units are doing is trapping particulate raising the pressure drop.

What cells

Quote Originally Posted by genesis View Post
    Guys both of these units are good filters under ideal conditions and freshly cleaned. But after a couple of days they loose there efficiency because of the cells loading up. After the cells load up they maintain there merv ratings because of the restriction at the cells. After they are caked with dirt, lint and what ever else. You won't see any reduction in biologics because the cells are completely covered up. I'll post a better discription on a written paper from the office in morning. After they load up the only thing the units are doing is trapping particulate raising the pressure drop.

Carrier does not have cells?
    Do it right the first time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12