Thread: Commercial HVAC sizing - Simple Estimation possible?

Post Likes

Commercial HVAC sizing - Simple Estimation possible?

Hi there,

I am a computer science student engaged in project pertaining to HVAC systems. I have little understanding of these systems but am reading extensively, trying to learn.

I am required to create an application to estimate the size of a commercial HVAC compontent. This means calculating heat/cooling load. I am aware the manual N procedure for commercial calculations, but I am no engineer and am having a little difficultly making sense of it, and cannot afford to buy books on it.

However since I only need an estimation, I am looking for a rule-of-thumb calculation for commercial spaces, could anyone possibly provide me with something like this, or link me to a resource?

I have come accross articles explaining various methods, but they are uncited... http://www.openxtra.co.uk/articles/c...ting-heat-load

How accurate are these methods, and where are their numbers coming from?

I hope this question is not HVAC sacrilege, but any help in this regard would be extremely appreciated I am in Dublin, Ireland if climate is relevant.

Post Likes
    Use my profile and we can "talk" off line.
    A little too much for this forum
    You have got to learn from other people's mistakes! Because God knows you don't live long enough to make them all yourself !!!!!!!!

Post Likes
    Apologies, I could not for the life of me figure out how to write on your profile, not the usual v-bulletin it seems, or perhaps its my sleep deprevation :P

Thank you for your answer, I have come across such load calculations in the mean time (which I will post shortly), please provide info if you can though :]

However, It seems in my investigation I have neglected AHUs (Air Handling Units). As far as I can tell, these seem to be an all in one HVAC. Would you know of a calculation for the average size required (capacity) for these units? and perhaps an efficiency rating/method? I have been looking, but information is harder to find for these systems.

I have found: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/ai...ate-d_882.html
    Would this m^3/s or air change rate represent simple capacity requirements for an AHU? Would you have information on these units?

Also, how can one tell when a HVAC component needs replacing?

Cheers, hope you can help :]

Post Likes
    The only thing i have ever seen to be somewhat reliable, is cubic feet x .075. Then divideby 400. Should put you somewhere in range for a commercial office or retail space.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Harper View Post
    The only thing i have ever seen to be somewhat reliable, is cubic feet x .075. Then divideby 400. Should put you somewhere in range for a commercial office or retail space.
    Probably not real close. Most retail has a fair gain from glass, and customers coming in and out of the entrance, along with the large load from the customers being in the store/retail space.

Commercial office space usually has a fair amount of load from equipment.

Both have fresh air requirements which adds to the load. Plus retail has a large load from lighting.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Probably not real close. Most retail has a fair gain from glass, and customers coming in and out of the entrance, along with the large load from the customers being in the store/retail space.

Commercial office space usually has a fair amount of load from equipment.

Both have fresh air requirements which adds to the load. Plus retail has a large load from lighting.
    I should have specified. The above method would only be somewhat (if at all) applicable on a structure under 5000 sqft. Its more of a quicke for a tech on a poor cooling call. There is no substitute for a proper heat load calculation.

Post Likes
    ntopliffe

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Your post has been deleted

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in