Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Pictures of the trunk further away from the furnace.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Attached are furthest I could get due to basement size.

Key1
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Your return drop. Where it ties into the horizonatal duct is very restrictive.
    Vanes will help it, I usually incresae the drops size. EG: instead of 10 x 24, 14 x 24.
    How many returns do you have in your house, and what size are they.

Your supply may be harder to do, because its 3 trunks coming off the plenum.
    Are any of them for the second floor only. The trunk at the front of the furnace, looks to go up a chase. Does it change size before it goes up.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Vanes will help it, I usually incresae the drops size. EG: instead of 10 x 24, 14 x 24.
    How many returns do you have in your house, and what size are they.

Your supply may be harder to do, because its 3 trunks coming off the plenum.
    Are any of them for the second floor only. The trunk at the front of the furnace, looks to go up a chase. Does it change size before it goes up.
    There is room to widen the return drop to 20x24.

I have a total of 5 return vents. One is 20x20 in the center of the house in the entry foyer on the 1st floor. A 2nd one is located in the living room 3.5 ft above the Tstat. one is located in the upstairs hall and one is directly behind it in the main bedroom. the last one is in one of the back bedrooms. All except the 20x20 are the same size as the supply vents about 12x8. All except the 20x20 are located near the ceilings.

The trunk that goes up the chase is the shortest one off the plenum and supplies the back laundry room and downstairs bath area where the temp falls to 69F while the upstairs is 81 and the front of the house is 72.

Not sure if a trunk feeds upstairs only.....I will check at lunch time...

What is a helper duct?

Would having the duct coming off the back of the plenum (15 ft run) made wider from 9.5" to 17" help?

Key1

...Also I would prefer to close the damper on that small trunk coming out the front but the static pressure goes even higher .... and no it does not apear to change size before it goes up through the floor.
    Key1

A helper duct is a second duct that runs from the plenum and then connects into another duct at a point farther down, to get more air to the supplies at the far end of that duct.

Increasing the return drop should lower the return static enough, but your supply needs more help.

Increasing the back supply duct may help if, it has supplies going upstairs. And the ones going upstairs aren't undersized too much.
    Contractor locator map

I like the helper duct idea...

Although you can't tell from the picture there is almost 20 inches of available space between the wall and the unused side of the plenum.

Are there any issues with 4 ducts coming off the plenum?

I can maybe have a helper duct made that attaches to the unused side and curves around the front past the exaust pipes and travel ~ 10 to 20 ft to tie into the trunk line coming out the top that feeds the back part of the house.

then I could have the dampers adjusted on the 1st floor to send more air upstairs.

possible?

No problem with 4 ducts.

You need to determine which supply trunk/trunks are teh ones that need more air, and have supplies that will benifit from the increasd amount of available air.
    Contractor locator map

....or if 4 ducts coming off the plenum is not feasable, I can have the short duct coming off the front of the plenum coverted to a "T" to have some of the air re-directed to a new trunk running the same direction as the trunk coming out the top of the plenum, and have it connected it ~ 20 ft away from the furnace (to the trunk coming out the top of the plenum)....
    Any problems with this option....

Thanks for all your help.

Key1

No problem with 4 ducts.

You need to determine which supply trunk/trunks are teh ones that need more air, and have supplies that will benifit from the increasd amount of available air.
    Agreed
    will do...

I'll let you know the out come....

...check is in the mail...

Thanks again for your help.

Key1

Quote Originally Posted by key1cc View Post
    Agreed
    will do...

I'll let you know the out come....

...check is in the mail...

Thanks again for your help.

Key1
    Remember to make it out to my initials.

CASH LOL.
    Contractor locator map

I now have a HVAC duct guy...

He is cominging out tomorow but he told me on the phone that the standard size return drop is 12 x 24 and anything larger will be custom and cost a lot more.....does going from 10 x 24 to 12 x 24 make that big of a difference?

The house is now nicely balanced for even temperatures on all floors (using dampers)........ current static pressure is 0.32 on return and o.79 on supply.

Key1

As long as you don't use your merv 8 filter, you can leave it at 10 x 24.
    A 12 x 24 could drop .1 to .2" off the return, allowing you to use your merv filter again.

Your supply is high again. so I'm guessing you have some of those dampers choked pretty good.

Once you get the supply static down, your return static could go up, as teh blower will be able to move more air against the lowered supply static.
    have the supply fixed first, then retest your return, and see if you need to fix it.
    Contractor locator map

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast