Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Finally getting static pressure checked

I convinced my installer that it would be in both of our best interests to check my static pressure (TESP) on my new Trane XL15i/XV95 system eventhough it was installed ~ a month ago.

I am a little wary because he said "ok ok I'll give it a shot"..... that kind of reply does not breed confidence and he had already admitted that he does not usually check TESP.

I asked him if he is going to drill holes and check in the return after the filter but before the blower.....and also in the top of the furnace before the coil? (I had read that on this site).... He said in the return he would check before the filter because there is not much room between the filter and the blower.

Does that sound right?

Anything else I should be looking for to make sure it is done....and done correctly.

As always, thanks in advance for your help....

Key1

I might be wrong but the static should be checked before the filter and after the coil in the air handler somewhere about 2 or 3 ft after the coil. Also ask him if you happen to have one of those T-stat's that can check the system static pressure of your duct work as well.

to check static on the Trane furnace after filter, he can stick the peito tube in the rubber gasket that the wires go down to the blower cabinet to get the reading, then on the side of the cabinet above the blower deck there is a hole predrilled to check before the coil. the only holes he needs to drill is before the filter and after the coil.
    You can't fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by DanW13 View Post
    I might be wrong but the static should be checked before the filter and after the coil in the air handler somewhere about 2 or 3 ft after the coil. Also ask him if you happen to have one of those T-stat's that can check the system static pressure of your duct work as well.
    Trane does not offer that right now, Carrier is the only one I know of, not really a necessity for the homeowner to have anyway, it is a service tool. total static is after filter/before coil, that is what the carrier stat is reading, as the sensors are built in the furnace not the ductwork.
    You can't fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by cmajerus View Post
    Trane does not offer that right now, Carrier is the only one I know of, not really a necessity for the homeowner to have anyway, it is a service tool. Total static is after filter/before coil (?), that is what the carrier stat is reading, as the sensors are built in the furnace not the ductwork.
    I think you meant, after the filter but "before the blower" (not after the blower) so that you are getting the total negative reading of the Return Side & the positive reading of all the components on the Supply Side duct system.

As long as you insert the instruments negative marked tube just before the blower & the positive just before the evaporator the instrument will use the neg. to pull the & the pos to push which adds the pos. & neg. forces for the total static pressure forces that the blower wheel & motor have to overcome.

On high efficiency condenser furnaces, do they have a predrilled hole to check static before the condenser? I wonder what the average pressure drop is across that furnace condenser?

In the case of an Oil furnace with the E-Coil set too close to the Large heat exchanger, that could cause an airflow restriction, especially for large AC units.
    http://www.udarrell.com/external_sta..._readings.html
    - udarrell

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    If using the factory supplied filter ,may want to check return before the filter as the factory fan data may include the the factory supplied filter,I know it does with Carrier equipment.

There may be other "footnotes " to the fan data that must be taken into account ,to detemine the cfms from the static .

When taking the static in cooling ,you need to know was it with a dry or wet coil,again this is for use with the fan data chart and footnotes that may apply,to be accurate in determining the cfms.

to check static on the Trane furnace after filter, he can stick the peito tube in the rubber gasket that the wires go down to the blower cabinet to get the reading, then on the side of the cabinet above the blower deck there is a hole predrilled to check before the coil. the only holes he needs to drill is before the filter and after the coil.
    From what you are telling me my installer may try to weasel out of it when he comes next week. I have attached photos and as you can see, there is not much room to work on the left side due to a wall and not much on the right side due to the return

I posted some close ups on the left side but I did not notice any pre-drilled hole of significant size.

Key1
    Attached Images Attached Images    

He can drill 2 holes in the back of the furnace. One for the return, and one for the supply.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Here are some additional photos.

Here are pics of the holes I am talking about. I have a pocket screwdriver stuck in them for reference. As you can see my furnace is much closer to the wall than yours is and I got my hand back there to get the screwdriver in, so your installer should not have any issues.
    before blower/after filter

after blower/secondary heat exchanger, before acoil

You can't fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by udarrell View Post
    I think you meant, after the filter but "before the blower" (not after the blower) so that you are getting the total negative reading of the Return Side & the positive reading of all the components on the Supply Side duct system.

As long as you insert the instruments negative marked tube just before the blower & the positive just before the evaporator the instrument will use the neg. to pull the & the pos to push which adds the pos. & neg. forces for the total static pressure forces that the blower wheel & motor have to overcome.

On high efficiency condenser furnaces, do they have a predrilled hole to check static before the condenser? I wonder what the average pressure drop is across that furnace condenser?

In the case of an Oil furnace with the E-Coil set too close to the Large heat exchanger, that could cause an airflow restriction, especially for large AC units.
    http://www.udarrell.com/external_sta..._readings.html
    - udarrell
    right, on either side of the blower, of course the secondary is in there also, but would be hard pressed to measure between the blower and the secondary without some major creativity.
    You can't fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    He can drill 2 holes in the back of the furnace. One for the return, and one for the supply.
    There is plenty of room from the back (see photos) if he indicates he can't get to the sides.

Here are pics of the holes I am talking about. I have a pocket screwdriver stuck in them for reference. As you can see my furnace is much closer to the wall than yours is and I got my hand back there to get the screwdriver in, so your installer should not have any issues.
    before blower/after filter

after blower/secondary heat exchanger, before acoil

From your picture "178" it looks like you are suggesting that he take a measurement with the upper panel removed. Am I interpreting that correctly?
    Key1

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast