Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: External Filter Rack held up with Tape ?????

Post Likes

External Filter Rack held up with Tape ?????

my mother just had this unit installed and she had no clue till 4 days after install filter rack comes crashing down... Come to find out they have it secured to air handler with tape ???

Is this a normal practice???? lots of dollars later and there is a rack attached by tape !!! would we allow this in any other service industry..

example surround sound wires held with thumb tack

when i spoke to the manager he stated this was a normal practice and argued that this is how it is done

now as you should be able to see in the pics there is plenty of room to fit a bracket to hold the rack to the handler why use tape?

any input would be greatly appreciatedAttachment 7494

Attachment 7495

Attachment 7496

Attachment 7497

Attachment 7498

Attachment 7499

Attachment 7500
    Last edited by secureone; 05-29-2008 at 04:29 PM.

Post Likes

pics

Last edited by secureone; 05-29-2008 at 03:29 PM. Reason: pics all over

Post Likes
    Site rules don't allow the posting of dollar amounts. You should edit that out.

Normal procedure is not to connect a filter rack to a unit with only tape.

Question: Where is this air handler located in the house? From the pictures it looks to be just hanging from a wall somewhere with no return air ductwork connected to it.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Post Likes
    The tape is NOT suppose to support the air filter brackett.

The flanges on teh brackett are for using screws to mount the brackett to the unit.
    They should either use a different brackett with your air handler, or use support bracketts to fasten that brackett to your air handler.

Guessing no permit was pulled for that install.

Post Likes
    call the hack back.......

Post Likes
    i have a supervisor coming on tues but think it is the same guy that told me its a normal practice ..

i just feel like smacking these people in the back of the head with a wrench because they think the consumer is a moron

i could attach that rack permanently with a 3 dollar trip to home depot

once again thanks for the input just wanted to make sure redneck rigging wasn't part of an industry standard

<removed company name>
    Last edited by jrbenny; 06-01-2008 at 03:32 PM.

Post Likes
    Is that a condo type unit? Why not use a front pull unit with the built in filter rack?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by birmingham12345 View Post
    Is that a condo type unit? Why not use a front pull unit with the built in filter rack?
    nope 2 story town home Attachment 7506

Post Likes
    Am I the only one thinking low bid?
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Post Likes
    hope they used more than tape to hold up the unit..

Post Likes
    ok got off phone with rheem who states for installation of external filter rack secure rack to unit and seal with duct tape ...

keyword secure they figured seal and secure with tape would be fine!!!

Post Likes
    I wasn't clear [that happens sometimes]. I meant that the unit is not hooked up to return duct and is just pulling the return from a closet, as shown from your picture.

I was curious as to why the contractor didn't use a front pull through type unit where the filter rack is built into the unit. That would have cut down on work and you could squeeze a small water heater underneath there if you needed to [that's the typical set up I see down here in townhomes& condos].

I can't quickly find any pictures online of what I'm talking about but I know Bryant makes one and pretty sure Rheem does too.

Another question, how come he fabricated a filter rack and didn't use one of the ones from Rheem that attach to the unit at the bottom? It's only 1.5 inches thick, if that, and it's just as good.

Maybe it's easier to judge in hindsight.

Post Likes
    There is nothing wrong with using tape to secure the two together as long as the weight of the unit is pushing down on the filter rack against another hard surface. In your application, they needed to use a few screws and tape to hold it up. Since they went to the trouble (I hope) of securing the unit to a wall, it would have taken another 5 minutes to drive a few screws between the rack and air handler. You also need to make sure that where the plenum penetrates into the attic or between floors that it is sealed very well, as well as the entire closet, otherwise you will be pulling in attic air and whatever else surrounds it.

Post Likes
    I hope that drain has a trap in it somewhere.
    I never let schooling interfere with my education... Mark Twain

Post Likes

Thumbs down Cheap ~ Is what you got.

That is what I was just going to say, I would be more worried about a "p" trap being installed than that ez base filter rack. I have installed them with NO TAPE, just screw to floor of platform; run bead of silicone around top and sit air handler on top of rack.Tape is tacky, silicone or mastic if you want sealed. and Make sure that it also has wet-switch underneath the platform, if your drain stops up and leaks water, being on second floor it could do some real damage.

Inspection, make well have caught some of these issues.
    'Life begins with the journey each day'

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by secureone View Post

fyi <removed> just in case u wanted to know
    We really don't need to know who the installing contractor is . Why don't you give them a chance to make it right before you post their company name ?
    Last edited by jrbenny; 06-01-2008 at 03:33 PM.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    We really don't need to know who the installing contractor is . Why don't you give them a chance to make it right before you post their company name ?

because I believe that it is imperative for the readers to know it was not a fly by night person who I found on the streets to do an install, that it was done by a fairly large company who should know better!

Post Likes
    Well , I'll email them and ask them to post your name on the internet and see where it leads to . I'm saying give them a chance to make it right . And if they won't / can't do that then, bad mouth them . Being a contractor , I tend to side with like people. They could be low lifes or hacks . We don't know.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    Well , I'll email them and ask them to post your name on the internet and see where it leads to . I'm saying give them a chance to make it right . And if they won't / can't do that then, bad mouth them . Being a contractor , I tend to side with like people. They could be low lifes or hacks . We don't know.

how bout this . If the supervisor would have ONCE apologized and stated he would correct the issue and customer satisfaction is a priority then I wouldn't have even posted this so.....

now if when they finally come out to resolve issue, if they do resolve it in a professional manner and apologize I will post it in the thread therefore people can make their own decision on if they select this company or not..

Post Likes
    No matter what they do , pleasing you will be next to impossible . I'll email them Monday and see what the deal is . Then post your name as a customer to steer clear of .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in