Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tankless water heater and Front loading washing machine

Installed new Noritz tankless heater and unit short cycles when using the washing machine, like any other piece of equipment this would not be good. Does anyone have any ideas for the resolve? I thought of running the faucet in the laundry room while the washer is starting up. So much for saving water.

Don't use hot water to wash your clothes.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

PEEEEEEEWWWWWWW you stink

Quote Originally Posted by BRYANT MAN View Post
    PEEEEEEEWWWWWWW you stink
    Well thanks for noticing.

You've got a Tankless water heater.....

Of course its gonna short cycle with a Washer. Maybe looking into a second water heater solely for the washer. A small electric one should do just fine.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

When the washer draws hot water does the water heater come on? What do you mean short cycle?

Yes, the heater fires . The problem is that the washer is a front loading high end washer that uses very little water. It also adds water in short burst's as it fills, I guess it has a way of knowing when it should add water.

Quote Originally Posted by iraqveteran View Post
    Don't use hot water to wash your clothes.
    Out of 5 washer loads a week, my wife uses hot water for only 1 load (whites). Clothes come clean and use less energy. (with tankless heater)

Does it short cycle when you open one low flow water faucet?
    If not, maybe the screen on the hot water hose is plugged with something......... maybe left over flux or something from when the tankless was put in.
    There is a way to get around this issue if that doesn't prove to be the problem. You'll have to contact a plumber and describe what your problem is as DIY isn't allowed here.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

If you have read up on tankless heaters you will find that you must open the hot water faucet all the way for the tankless heater to work properly, you can not just crank open a faucet and expect it to work properly as that is not how these units would meant to be operated. I am sure if you read in your manual it will or should tell you this somewhere that you must open the facuet to be used all the way to work the way it was designed. Iwash everything in cold water !!! No need to use hot water to wash clothes especially with He detergents as they are formulated to be used with cold water and will work just as good and your clothes will get just as clean when using clod water, add a 1/4 cup of bleach in the little dispenser along with the detergent and softner and I bet your wife doesn't notice any difference. But read your manual on the faucet issue, I am sure you will find that is what it will state.

Quote Originally Posted by BRYANT MAN View Post
    Yes, the heater fires . The problem is that the washer is a front loading high end washer that uses very little water. It also adds water in short burst's as it fills, I guess it has a way of knowing when it should add water.

I've had a tank-less since 2001 and the flame is controlled by how much water is flowing. A lot of water gets a higher flame, no water and it won't fire so your WH is firing when there is a call for water. I also have had a front loader since 2003. It doesn't use a lot of water but it has an internal heater so there is no problem even if it gets cold water which it sometimes draws even if you select a hot wash. Does your washer have an internal heater - if so you don't have a problem.

I believe those internal water heaters that high efficiencey washers have are only used if you are using the sanitary setting, I could be wrong but I believe that is the only time that it is used.

Same situation here. Most of the washer fill cycles are such short bursts that the water heater never even lights -- just clicks the ignition a few times. The washer has an internal heater in it, so I'm not worried about that (I use mostly cold anyway.)

As far as it being hard on the heater, it would seem there are lots of instances of quick water usage where people turn on the hot -- washing hands, rinsing a dish, etc. I can't imagine adding one more such use (the washer) is going to have any huge impact on the life of the appliance...

Quote Originally Posted by DanW13 View Post
    I believe those internal water heaters that high efficiencey washers have are only used if you are using the sanitary setting, I could be wrong but I believe that is the only time that it is used.
    Not sure about all, but I know mine (LG Steamwasher) comes on as necessary to heat the water to the temp the washer wants, and to keep it at that temp throughout a lengthy wash/rinse cycle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast