+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying first Truck...Any suggestions?

Post Likes

Buying first Truck...Any suggestions?

So I plan to purchase a truck. It will be my first truck as before I have owned or driven smaller vehicles. The truck will be my main means of transportation and will be used for some future HVAC work! I am buying only a used truck because a new one is way out of budget. I have looked any many trucks from Ford F150s to Dodge RAM 1500 to Chevy Silverado's .The truck for sure has to have extended cab just in case family ever rides in the truck. I was mostly looking at V8 trucks but MPG didn't look so pretty. So I am thinking now V6 or V5. The thing with the smaller engine is I do lose some towing capacity. What would be ideal towing capacity? What would you guys suggest? Also should I bother with diesel engine or just go with regular gas. Diesel engine trucks are more costly but I think they do last longer. Anything else I should know or should consider?

thanks
    -mofotech
    wHen I diE I hOpe gOd haS mErcy oN my SiNful LifE

Post Likes
    I have a 4 cylinder Toyota Tacoma access cab that I drive when I'm not working. It does everything I want BUT the back seat really isn't meant for people. Too small. My work truck is a F150 supercab longbed with a liftgate and v8. It's a pain to park but it'll carry anything you can load in it comfortably. And the gas mileage on it isn't bad. 15 loaded, 17 empty. My Tacoma only gets around 22 no matter what.

Post Likes
    98-2006 chevy Silverado 5.3L = best truck ever made...

4. Likes dave77 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    V5?
    You must first figure out much you wish to carry/tow and then select a group of vehicles that would fit that need.
    The newer half tons all are in a MPG war, just like the diesels are doing the same but with power levels.
    Personally I'd go with at least a half ton, as they now can get similar MPG numbers to the older compacts and you still have half ton capability.
    Now, it's your choice if you need anything over that. 3/4 and 1 tons are great, my personal vehicle is a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Duramax. But parts are heavy, big and expensive. Maintenance is expensive. Tires are expensive. And the ride is hard when unloaded. I have to buy 12 quarts of oil for a change. Fuel filters are as much as $40-$50. Last time I bought tires it was $1300. Plus fuel is more expensive then regular unleaded.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rider77 View Post
    V5?
    You must first figure out much you wish to carry/tow and then select a group of vehicles that would fit that need.
    The newer half tons all are in a MPG war, just like the diesels are doing the same but with power levels.
    Personally I'd go with at least a half ton, as they now can get similar MPG numbers to the older compacts and you still have half ton capability.
    Now, it's your choice if you need anything over that. 3/4 and 1 tons are great, my personal vehicle is a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Duramax. But parts are heavy, big and expensive. Maintenance is expensive. Tires are expensive. And the ride is hard when unloaded. I have to buy 12 quarts of oil for a change. Fuel filters are as much as $40-$50. Last time I bought tires it was $1300. Plus fuel is more expensive then regular unleaded.

V5, ya sorry I must of have read something on autotrader while looking at all the trucks and that;s wrong info. Well that is one thing (towing capacity) I haven't figured out yet. I guess now looking at it I should buy minimal 1/2 ton. I see the MPG wars. But the MPG are better on the newer Trucks . I test drove the other day a 2011 Ford F150 V6 with 150k miles. It was a off-leased construction truck. It was a flex fuel truck and it got 17mpg city and 23 highway. That sure beat a 2008 F150 V8 that gets 13 mpg city. LOL, thanks guys for the feedback . Keep them coming.
    wHen I diE I hOpe gOd haS mErcy oN my SiNful LifE

Post Likes
    My dad has a '12 F150 EC SB with the 5.0 V8. It achieves similar numbers to the ones you saw with the V6 truck.
    I'd avoid that off lease construction truck, probably had the crap beat out of it.

Post Likes
    IMHO stay away from diesel, unless you have $$ to burn.

Post Likes
    I don't suggest diesel right now because the engines require a lot more maintenance that than used to. I personally use an 2012 F150 4x4 quad cab. I have a lift gate on the back and it works great for moving equipment. The truck uses the EcoBoost engine and it was plenty of power. With the Quad cab I can store tools, parts and refrigerant. Meanwhile the truck gets about 17mpg which isn't bad. I like the 4x4 because I can still get around even in the snow.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by James Colver View Post
    I don't suggest diesel right now because the engines require a lot more maintenance that than used to. I personally use an 2012 F150 4x4 quad cab. I have a lift gate on the back and it works great for moving equipment. The truck uses the EcoBoost engine and it was plenty of power. With the Quad cab I can store tools, parts and refrigerant. Meanwhile the truck gets about 17mpg which isn't bad. I like the 4x4 because I can still get around even in the snow.
    Good info! I will definitely stay away from diesel.

Post Likes
    3/4t crewcab.Working out of a truck just wears out the light 1/2t.when you get a 21 seer system in the back of a 1/2t you will say bad words while driving,especially if you put a liftgate on it,which I believe is a required tool(IMHO).
    I buy lease vehicles for all my work trucks and believe me or not only had one in 30 years that didn't get us 100,000mi of our use.I buy from a guy ,Dodd Mtr.Co. that is the largest wholesale buyer of fleet lease vehicles in America.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mofotech View Post
    So I plan to purchase a truck. It will be my first truck as before I have owned or driven smaller vehicles. The truck will be my main means of transportation and will be used for some future HVAC work! I am buying only a used truck because a new one is way out of budget. I have looked any many trucks from Ford F150s to Dodge RAM 1500 to Chevy Silverado's .The truck for sure has to have extended cab just in case family ever rides in the truck. I was mostly looking at V8 trucks but MPG didn't look so pretty. So I am thinking now V6 or V5. The thing with the smaller engine is I do lose some towing capacity. What would be ideal towing capacity? What would you guys suggest? Also should I bother with diesel engine or just go with regular gas. Diesel engine trucks are more costly but I think they do last longer. Anything else I should know or should consider?

thanks
    -mofotech
    If youre going to be stocking parts and material, I would certainly not get a pickup truck. I would get a 2500-3500 Chevy Van with inside Bin package . That's what I did when I went into hvac service and replacements. It had a small 305 cid Motor which was plenty and was a 1500 series .. plenty of payload for my business , got decent gas mileage, strong motor and trans, comfortable. I installed a solid partition between the driver compartment and the rear so it would heat up and cool down quick up front and so I didn't hear tools rattling around . I used 2" thick Pink Styrofoam to make the wall and I had a small removable section in the middle of the wall for a long ladder to stick thru when needed. I put 140 k. miles on that before retiring early.

Post Likes
    Hey old guy, I know eexactly where Dodd is. I do some work in the Gilmer area.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguy1949 View Post
    3/4t crewcab.Working out of a truck just wears out the light 1/2t.when you get a 21 seer system in the back of a 1/2t you will say bad words while driving,especially if you put a liftgate on it,which I believe is a required tool(IMHO).
    I buy lease vehicles for all my work trucks and believe me or not only had one in 30 years that didn't get us 100,000mi of our use.I buy from a guy ,Dodd Mtr.Co. that is the largest wholesale buyer of fleet lease vehicles in America.

Post Likes
    Good info! I will definitely stay away from diesel.
    I wouldn't stay away from Diesel engines, they have their place. The newer (2007.5>) engines have a ton of emission junk on them, but they still do great at hauling and towing heavy things.
    Gasoline is definatly less maintenance intensive.

Post Likes
    Thanks guys for the replies. This what I needed to know. In retrospect of HVAC usage. Because what I buy will be used for next few years. And it will be good I buy something that can handle most common situations if it calls for it. I dont intend to stock parts. That might be a while before I start doing that.

Post Likes
    Don't know where you live, but 4wd might be worth a thought.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lytning View Post
    Don't know where you live, but 4wd might be worth a thought.
    GA

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JustCallMeDave View Post
    If youre going to be stocking parts and material, I would certainly not get a pickup truck. I would get a 2500-3500 Chevy Van with inside Bin package . That's what I did when I went into hvac service and replacements. It had a small 305 cid Motor which was plenty and was a 1500 series .. plenty of payload for my business , got decent gas mileage, strong motor and trans, comfortable. I installed a solid partition between the driver compartment and the rear so it would heat up and cool down quick up front and so I didn't hear tools rattling around . I used 2" thick Pink Styrofoam to make the wall and I had a small removable section in the middle of the wall for a long ladder to stick thru when needed. I put 140 k. miles on that before retiring early.
    Get one of the metal portion walls.Dont ask me how I know in a panic stop how many flying missiles come to the front.

Post Likes
    Probably wouldn't need it as much as here in Maine, (:-
    GA

Post Likes
    You seem to know what you want. A full size truck, ext. cab. base model from the big 3. Figure out your budget, go out and check out what's available near you.

Post Likes
    4cyl is always the way to go.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in