Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    If its a good customer who pays then I would keep trying to fix it as long as I could. I definitely wouldn't get an attitude with them especially considering all the equipment it sounds like they have.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Cute little relic. 5 tons takes 2 compressors? What does the cold water feed? More than 1 air handler?
    As I said on my first post, "I goofed on the audio when I said it was a 5 ton A/C chiller; the system is set up for 10 tons, 2 5'ers, but one is dead." I was trying to do the audio, the video and not fall of the roof, all at the same time!

The system is set up with two monoflow loops, with about 15 forced air convectors.
    Experience is what you have an hour after you need it.

Did I hear you say (in the video) That it was 50 years old??? WOW!

You should get a YOUTUBE account. Then we could trade comments back and forth on our videos. Your video came out pretty good. Are you using a Kodak? Sometimes I use my Palm Treo, but my good videos are from my Kodak.

And we though THIS cooling tower needed replacing soon, as the catwalk is rotted out to where we are standing on the ground and some of the internal cross bracing has rusted loose as well, making it fun to climb up to the motors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp0uPmxLQpY
    True Heavy Metal Geek

Quote Originally Posted by baub View Post
    After 30 years in the business on my own, one thing I learned is, if a major customer asks you to get it going "one more year", you do it. But after 10 years of keeping it going, how much more can you do?

Can't go into why this won't be changed out, or where it is, but get a laugh out of the pic and video. My first video on the net, so try and be gentle. I goofed on the audio when I said it was a 5 ton A/C chiller; the system is set up for 10 tons, 2 5'ers, but one is dead. ]

First a picture-

If you want to see a short video, go to-

http://uncutvideo.aol.com/videos/1e3...1cc84a?index=0

Why is it urinating?

Quote Originally Posted by starr View Post
    Why is it urinating?
    Because it's PI$$ED OFF it has to run another year.

Payson

You are the man, as far as leading HVAC-Talk into the video world. I will check into a Youtube account. Right now I'm using the software that came with the camera.

The video was done with the new Flip camera.

60 minutes of audio and video for a little over a Benjamin. Small enough to fit into your shirt pocket... just a bit larger than a deck of cards. Just google Flip.

I don't know if this helps but I had one something like that with the same type of customer who knew his building was up for renewal. So I ended up draining the whole thing and painting the basin and outside with tar. It worked for another season, as I can remember. But that was way over 20 years ago. Good luck.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

you might try folding the cost of it into a project they have on another of their buildings. swing a deal, charge a little more on job X and get this one fixed.

Update

First thanks to those who tried to help- Delta T, there is nothing left you can paint tar to. Note the patches in the photo done years ago. Maybe if you are still friends with the "wire nut people", they could repair from the inside!

gbfromsd - They just won't replace it, done deal.

So I gave them 4 choices, they took install a new water regulating valve, and feed in city water, one time to waste. When I cut out the old piping, the scale I saw freaked me out. I was really concerned about how the interior (water side) of the condenser was.

However, when I fired up the system, the heat exchange in the condenser was excellent. I was able to get a water discharge temp of 105 deg at a 235# discharge pressure. The water meter barely moves.

I took Payson's advise and set up a YouTube account. Did a short video, If you want to take a look, go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyTzFUBIbB4

So we can take It that the, discharge water goes down the drain, a one shot deal??......Here If the local powers to be saw that, they would shut down the building, Water Is to expenses here In OZ........Nice video, post more.......
    Refrigeration...Finding the Wright Wrench to pound in the correct..Screw

I was going to suggest that you recommend to them to set the cooling tower in a small kiddie pool with a pond pump to move the water that leaked out back up into the unit. If they said yes you could have "accidentally" set it back down a little too hard and had the entire thing collapse into a pile of rust which conveniently would be contained within the pool and would be easy to clean up but the route you chose works OK too LOL.
    In my neck of the woods to most people "Maintenance" equals cursing at and/or kicking something when it breaks down.

To get the degree symbol on Windows hold down the Alt key and type 0176 on the keyboard number pad. It is also available via the character map, and on Windows 8.1 devices with a touchscreen via the on screen keyboard.

If you are the type where the painting is more important than the frame, or you just like movies, join me in listening to the widescreen.org podcast.

Whatyamean there's nothin left to tar on! There is always something left to tar on even if it's one rusted bolt!

You can actually build a new control tower out of cold tar paste stuff...cause it's gonna melt in the sun..but that's not the point.

And Mrs. Wirenut asks about you. She's on the loose and looked for a good man to connect with.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

From Cracker-
    So we can take It that the, discharge water goes down the drain, a one shot deal??...

__________________________________________________ ____________

That's right... two things we have in Western New York... lots of water and A$$hole politicians. Vote for Hillary... get her out of New York and let the rest of the country suffer with us.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast