Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Just get running, 1 more year...

After 30 years in the business on my own, one thing I learned is, if a major customer asks you to get it going "one more year", you do it. But after 10 years of keeping it going, how much more can you do?

Can't go into why this won't be changed out, or where it is, but get a laugh out of the pic and video. My first video on the net, so try and be gentle. I goofed on the audio when I said it was a 5 ton A/C chiller; the system is set up for 10 tons, 2 5'ers, but one is dead. ]

First a picture-

If you want to see a short video, go to-

http://uncutvideo.aol.com/videos/1e3...1cc84a?index=0
    Experience is what you have an hour after you need it.

Heh looks like the only thing hold that unit together is the paint. :-)
    When you do a job, Always make it easier for the next guy, because you may be the next guy working on it.

That's neat!

What's inside?

You'd think it would be a fast payback in electric and water bills if changed out to a nice air cooled 13 SEER!

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    That's neat!

What's inside?
    Here is the chiller-

I have an older acme chiller the tower was replaced years ago and it was converted to a dx condensor. To give an idea of how long ago it was converted, the "new" condensor is belt driven. It runs great. I think that tower should obviosly be replaced the amount of water and energy wasted would have to make it worth it pretty quickly.
    "It's always controls"

Acme???? You need to get a Wylie Coyote decal for that thing.
    Aircraft Mechanical Accessories Technician. The Air Force changed the job title to Air Craft Environmental Systems Technician. But I've decided I'll always be a Mech Acc.

I know the feeling, we have a couple of res. customers, that every year say, can I get one more year out of it, because I'm going to sell this year. That's been over ten years now.

Why exactly don't they want that changed out? Are they that strapped for dough? Must be some kind of government operation.

At what point do you refuse to work on equipment that is in this kind of shape?

I must tell you, that is one reason I'm glad I work where I am at. Because we are instructed to refuse to work on that sh*t. If it is a major customer, or a first time customer, we WILL keep it going "one more year" if it is possible to do so upon their request. But after that year, we simply tell them, nope we are not going to work on it anymore.

If they want to find someone who is willing to keep their old garbage working, fine, but that someone is NOT going to be us.

Quote Originally Posted by baub View Post
    After 30 years in the business on my own, one thing I learned is, if a major customer asks you to get it going "one more year", you do it. But after 10 years of keeping it going, how much more can you do?

Can't go into why this won't be changed out, or where it is, but get a laugh out of the pic and video. My first video on the net, so try and be gentle. I goofed on the audio when I said it was a 5 ton A/C chiller; the system is set up for 10 tons, 2 5'ers, but one is dead. ]

First a picture-

If you want to see a short video, go to-

http://uncutvideo.aol.com/videos/1e3...1cc84a?index=0

Why is it urinating?

Quote Originally Posted by starr View Post
    Why is it urinating?
    Because it's PI$$ED OFF it has to run another year.

Payson

You are the man, as far as leading HVAC-Talk into the video world. I will check into a Youtube account. Right now I'm using the software that came with the camera.

The video was done with the new Flip camera.

60 minutes of audio and video for a little over a Benjamin. Small enough to fit into your shirt pocket... just a bit larger than a deck of cards. Just google Flip.

I don't know if this helps but I had one something like that with the same type of customer who knew his building was up for renewal. So I ended up draining the whole thing and painting the basin and outside with tar. It worked for another season, as I can remember. But that was way over 20 years ago. Good luck.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

you might try folding the cost of it into a project they have on another of their buildings. swing a deal, charge a little more on job X and get this one fixed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast