Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sorry no pics, but story of a lifetime!!

So one of my good friends that i went to school with got called to a large tonnage air conditioner for i believe a hotel or something along those lines. He got called there because their "regular" company could not make it there for a few days. He walked into the mechanical room and found empty cylinders of r22 everyhwhere. He automatically starts thinking ok, there is definitely a leak somewhere and these "regular" guys cant find it, or don't bother looking for it. What he found next was the most unbelievable thing ever... He found a Water Valve for a water cooled condensor sensing the low side pressure of the system, when the system pressure dropped below set-point it opened the water valve which was hooked to a cylinder of R22!!! Whenever low side dropped it would just start charging itself, and whenever these other guys got called there they were just changing the cylinder!!!
    True story, ubelievable!

I would never do it but isnt there like a $15,000 reward if you tell the EPA about this kind of stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by FlatTire View Post
    I would never do it but isnt there like a $15,000 reward if you tell the EPA about this kind of stuff?
    And more importantly, isn't there a fine of almost $30,000/offense for allowing venting of refrigerant?

In Canada it's either a $200,000.00 or a $300,000.00 fine depending on provincial or federal jurisdictional response!!!!
    "The quality you deserve is not expensive---it's priceless"

Problem is: With the open records laws here in GA, the HVAC co that got fined could look up who ratted them out... and I am not sure I want the HVAC community knowing I ratted out someone for the $$$. Could be a bad thing if I ever needed a favor from someone...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

There was a day in this continent where a man stood for what he believed in and truly believed what he stood for. In those days the ULTIMATE insult was to tell a man he had no integrity....Did you really want to sell yourself out to 'get a favour' from this same person?? The day when I am afraid of the truth is the day I know I have slipped over to the dark side.....

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lockhart View Post
    There was a day in this continent where a man stood for what he believed in and truly believed what he stood for. In those days the ULTIMATE insult was to tell a man he had no integrity....Did you really want to sell yourself out to 'get a favour' from this same person?? The day when I am afraid of the truth is the day I know I have slipped over to the dark side.....
    No, but on the other hand, being 'black-listed' would not be a good thing either.

IMO there is another issue here: GREED. Ratting out someone to get the $$$ is, IMO, no better or worse than cutting a corner to save a buck. Now we all know that 'real HVAC folks' do not cut corners, so what about ratting out one's fellow HVAC professional?

No, I think letting the market-place weed out the 'bad apples' is the better route. And it will happen, just not as quickly as some of us would like to see.

Hang in there Doug, I think the 1250 will be received well!

Now if you will just get that upgrade kit out...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Does anyone ever actually receive the alleged "reward" money? Word around here is it never really happens. At least not any more. I tend to agree with the last few posters...

Screw the reward money.....how about 'cause we have kids/grandkids we do it just 'cause it's the right thing to do.....what the hell ever happened to that?
    I am sickened these days by 'meism' attitude...every molecule of R12/502 kills 50,000 molecules of 03....and consequently up goes the incidence of melanoma skin cancer...
    GA....I learned and said to more than one customer that ripped me a new butt hole and threatened to tell all his friends about the dealings he had with me....'go ahead, please tell your friends because they will be the same kind of shallow SOB as you I don't want the negative relationship/time lost either; you are doing me a favour.' Have confidence in the big guy putting enough work in front of you always, should you abide by an honest lifestyle....get on that blacklist....it'll be a badge of courage....

Remember, Gentlemen, we are out brother's keeper and should you turn a blind eye to $hit like this.....as my mother used to say 'sooner or later you get back in double portions what you dish out in life'. GUILTY BY OMISSION. I've turned at least 8 guys in for this and I don't apologize or hide one bit from it....just passed one of them 10 minutes ago in the grocery store and I looked him straight in the eye twice....I shrink before no one and crawl before no one. Problem is you have to know more about my criminal record and jail time to understand my rant above....sorry guys...I'll shut up now...

someone put some thought into that setup,i wish they had put the same energy into finding and repairing the leak.did he find and fix or did he hook up a new bottle?

Yah but you guys smoke too much electric lettuce out there and that is a crime that goes un punished too much. I am sure you have screwed up once or twice in yourlife time and it was sure good no one was watching and had you attitude. I do not agree with what company was doing but I would give them a chance first before taking those measures.

If it were me, they'd get off the hook... only because that's a cleaver idea lol.

Seriously, I'd obviously fix the problem (correctly), let the customer know what went on was a bad bad thing, and if you're in the position, have a friendly, non threatening talk with the other company.

Everyone screws up from time to time... this was... ahhh... well more stupidity than ignorance, but none the less... tell them not to do that crap anymore and give all HVAC people a bad name. Catch em doing it again some where and then bust their balls.
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

The main two reasons why i would really avoid talking to the EPA, is cause the government tend either to do nothing or over re-act. I am sure that if the government did get involve it would cause basically the company to go under or the wrong people loosing their license jog of spending allot of time in courts.

As for the economy taking this guy out, from the most part there are allot of supervisers that rather loose $300-1000 a month then getting a leak that may cost allot more and deal with the system being done while it is repair.

From what i know about some companies unless a repair is more then say $4000 it goes against there numbers for the month making their numbers look bad and they loose their bonus.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast