View Poll Results: Recommend an AC for mild Outaouais region (zone 3?)?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Go for the basic SEER13, R22, non-scroll compressor.

1 7.14%
  • Go for the extra SEER14, R410, scroll type compressor

12 85.71%
  • Forget both, get the run-of-the-mill SEER 10 from 'noname'!

1 7.14%

Question Scroll compressor worth the $?

Looking into getting an AC in our Gatineau QC mild-temperature region. Since we don't need anything special (unlike with heating) I'm thinking of going with a good value Goodman model.

It's a toss up between the Goodman GSC13 vs SSX14. For what it's worth the extra 1 SEER may/may-not be worth it, and the jury is still out on what to do about R-410A (_at this time_), but the SSX unit does have the valued scroll-type compressor with life time warranty.

Is this scroll-type compressor worth the extra cash?

Thanks for your insight,
    Mike

P.S. Also, I've recently posted here about how we might be swapping out our furnace. Is there any considerations we should keep in mind when installing the AC before the furnace swap happens? One tech said that the AC coils should be placed as high as possible to accommodate <something,something>...

The GSC14 R-22 also has a Copeland scroll compressor w/10 year compressor warranty. The SSX is 410 refrigerant and does indeed have a lifetime compressor warranty to the original homeowner.

Good luck.

Ah, good to know! Perhaps it's an omission/typo on Goodman's site (?). I guess my little poll might not be technically correct (take into account please)...

Your poll list a 10 SEER, they ain't made anymore.

Untill you know for sure that it isn't duct issues causing your trouble. You are looking at spending a lot of money for nothing.

Higher efficiency equipment WILL NOT cure duct (air distribution ) problems.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Beenthere, believe it or not one of the tech is offering me a SEER10 , but I didn't even look into it as I'm pretty sure the SEER13 is worth the extra $$.

Yes, I will have several more on-location opinions about my noise problem. But with furnace techs telling me it's the ducts, ducting contractors telling me it's the furnace, you can imagine I'm wondering what to do and am exploring my options... all the same, we need an AC with or without different furnace, so that's why I ask what I should consider with an AC install in my predicament.

If you have undersized ducts causing trouble now. Putting central A/C in will create even more trouble.

You need a tech that knows how to read teh static pressure the blower is working against, and knows how to read the blower data chart.

Then if he determines that it is the duct work. He can write down all teh info, and teh duct guys won't have any leg to stand on.

Or, it could show that it is not the ductwork. And then your furnace guy will know to look else where for the cause.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Beenthere, I'm keeping good notes of your ideas, arming myself for my appointment this week :|. It does seem I need a good 3rd party tech here...

Could anyone (cunuck) recommend a _technical_ tech in the Ottawa/Gatineau region?

I've moved this topic back to the original thread where flange has provided some suggestions.

I'd go with the 14 SEER R410a as my first choice, 14 SEER R22 as 2nd choice and last choice would be the 13 SEER R22.