Thread: Grease Duct-Make-up Air-Fan

Post Likes

Grease Duct-Make-up Air-Fan

Hi everyone,
    I am hoping to get some insight on a light commercial job. A friend of mine is opening a restaurant and needs a type 1 hood installed with grease fan, louvers and an inline make up air fan. My company does mostly residential with occasional light commercial. I have installed grease duct before but was not part of the design process. So I'm wondering how to go about this, I'm sure I wont have a problem actually doing the work but I am kind of dizzy as far as the layout and order of operations. Any advice on how to go about this (or not go about it...) would be greatly appreciated. I'm guessing this type of job should go for $40 to $50k???

Post Likes
    Have it designed by an engineer to conform to all rules and specs. It would be bad if 5 years down the line if the place burned down from a stack fire. Have some one else design it and you install it.
    Nemo me impune lacessit.

How much blood do I have to bathe in to get clean?

Don't look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

Post Likes
    Yeah, I figured that might be the way to go. I'm not up for burning the place down... What about a fire system? would that just be some sort of low voltage control wired into the buildings fire alarm system or would it be a completely separate system? Since I will have an engineer design the job, how should I go about bidding it out? I wouldn't want to pay an engineer before I won the bid. Thanks

Post Likes
    Make the engineer part of the bid. That way you can CYA and get the job and maybe get some more work down the road. Comercial jobs follow with folks they can trust. If you give a professional product then they can expect pro results. More work for you in the future. Try to get on as a preferred vender for that contract. That will get you brownie points for future upgrades or retrofits.
    Nemo me impune lacessit.

How much blood do I have to bathe in to get clean?

Don't look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

Post Likes
    Make sure you STUDY all the local codes.

Typically you want to keep grease duct as vertical as possible. More and more areas are getting rid of the 1/4"/foot pitch and going with 1"/foot on horizontal grease duct. Don't forget about cleanouts....and the ratings/type on them...along with the type of insulation. Inspectors get CRAZY with grease duct. Brush up on youre welding....any pinholes when they pull the light through the duct and you're done.

Chicago is an indian word for stinky!!!!!!
    -supertek65

Post Likes
    as far as the fire system goes it depends on the application grease cooking will require ansul system

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tknorman View Post
    as far as the fire system goes it depends on the application grease cooking will require ansul system

Most hoods come with the ansul system 90% installed too. It just all depends on the restrictions in your area that might require an ansul system to be intalled in the duct too.

Chicago is an indian word for stinky!!!!!!
    -supertek65

Post Likes
    I think you have two options.

One is to obtain at least a BSME, and become a design/build contractor

The other is to talk the owner of the building into hiring their own engineer.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in