Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Flange, this is not what I wanted to hear!!

Ugghhhh, with our experience with the builder so far, this sounds too terribly true...

The builder is decent enough, but have cut corners in the strangest places! My thinking was, how could they have designed these ducts that in the *master bedroom* the dB levels are the same as standing next to the furnace, which is 2 floors down!

The _problem_ is, that it's these same contract that are now inspecting their own work, and of course they will fight off fixing the actual problem!

What I need, as implied by Beenthere here is a good _techical_ tech that will be able to diagnose the problem exactly, so the contractor responsible will have no way of beating around the bush about the issue.

Yes, I realize the if it is the ducts are the problem, then a quieter (& far more expensive ) furnace will only be a band-aid solution. But if the duct contractor refuse to do the actual work required to fix this problem, and I have no means of 'persuading' them or the builder, a new furnace might be my only option.

Flange, I guess keeping it on all the time would have us get used to the noise all the time, but also suck up electricity . What is a return area?

Could anyone (cunuck) recommend a _technical_ tech in the Ottawa/Gatineau region?

Thanks for the insight flange,
    Mike

Any ICP furnace starting with N is an "entry level" in their words and common among all the brands.

Now, buying a new VS furnace could easily, as been warned, be NOISIER. The VS blower on an undersized duct system, has the get-up-and-go to try to move more air making even more noise.

I wouldn't do anything til someone who knows what they are doing looks at things.

Question Variable speed blower noisier?!

BadLoonie, what a coincidence that I repost here following your last reply.

So, since I started this post, I've had a visit from the ducting contractor and the utility company that I may oblige to replace our unit with a 2-stage variable speed one.

The ducting contractor insists there is nothing wrong with the duct-work, standard 5" ducting going _straight_ to our bedroom. That _straight_ part is likely the "problem" as it's a very short duct, with very good air flow, AND noise transmission . In doing the best he can, the contractor added a few lengths/bends to the duct and routed it to the other side of the plenum.

The noise is somewhat reduced, and so is the air flow (hopefully it won't be problem with heating/cooling).

Now, with the two parties (ducting/furnace ppl) claiming that everything seems kosher enough, I may have the option to installing a 2-stage furnace with variable motor.

BUT, the furnace guy, who I believe to be a real pro and count his words, is warning me that from his own experience a variable speed blower will actually be louder! Unless you can tell me otherwise, I will take his word for it and decide-against making the furnace swap.

Just doesn't make sense to me, how could 2-stage/variable speed furnaces which very purpose is to work at '1/2 speed' or 'full speed', be louder than a single-stage unit that is fixed at 'full speed'. What's up with marketing these 2-stage furnaces as being more comfortable in stable temp and noise... hrmmm

Confused and hesitant,
    Mike

Undersized ducts make furnaces loud. Standard blowers lose their ability to move air volume in undersized ducts.
    VS blowers, when installed on undersized ducts, increase their spped to move the amount of air they are set to move. This makes an already loud duct system louder.
    Its not that VS blowers are loud, its the undersized duct systems that become loud from air noise.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Undersized ducts make furnaces loud. Standard blowers lose their ability to move air volume in undersized ducts.
    VS blowers, when installed on undersized ducts, increase their spped to move the amount of air they are set to move. This makes an already loud duct system louder.
    Its not that VS blowers are loud, its the undersized duct systems that become loud from air noise.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

having a duct system designed [ & equipment ], rather than just installed, for a specific house is a better solution.
    if the pipes from the trunks are all the same size, & without dampers, probably no design done.
    having a short piece of flex at a takeoff will also help with noise --
    harvest rainwater,make SHADE,R75/50/30= roof/wall/floor, use HVAC mastic,caulk all wall seams!

ive seen different diffusers for that problem before, helps a lil..not seeing ur design might need pressure damper also....

Quote Originally Posted by msowka View Post

So, since I started this post, I've had a visit from the ducting contractor and the utility company that I may oblige to replace our unit with a 2-stage variable speed one.

BUT, the furnace guy, who I believe to be a real pro and count his words, is warning me that from his own experience a variable speed blower will actually be louder! Unless you can tell me otherwise, I will take his word for it and decide-against making the furnace swap.

Just doesn't make sense to me, how could 2-stage/variable speed furnaces which very purpose is to work at '1/2 speed' or 'full speed', be louder than a single-stage unit that is fixed at 'full speed'. What's up with marketing these 2-stage furnaces as being more comfortable in stable temp and noise... hrmmm

Confused and hesitant,
    Mike
    Mike, I am just a humble homeowner, and the pros here are giving you good advice, but I just wanted to mention that you can get a two stage furnace without the VS blower, which will add to the price. I was very concerned about noise too, as my next door neighbor has an extremely loud AC unit, and I didn't want anything that sounded like that . My furnace is right under my bedroom, and the AC unit is on the outside wall of the bedroom. I got Ruud 'Super Quiet' equipment (made by Rheem), and I am very pleased with both the performance and the quietness as it's performing. Two stage is for comfort, but of course the lower blower speed pushes less air so it's quieter. This may not be the cadillac of systems (95%, VS, etc) but it is far and away much quieter and better performing than what I had, and it was in my price range . Most companies offer comparable equipment, some higher priced than others. The installer's extremely important.

The pros here who are familiar with the brand are telling you that Keeprite is notorious for being loud. I'd take their word on it.

Mrcyber07, cem-bee: short piece of flex at takeoff, diffusers, pressure dampers, WHAT ARE THESE?
    Thanks,
    Mike

Typically this is recognized by low quality equipment, undersized noisy ductwork, and high heating bills. After reading this statement a couple of times to me and I am sure others is the fact that if there using flex, or hard duct material or which ever material the installer or contractors decides to use for a set price, this statement makes it seems as though by installing the right size ducting and doing a manual D is going to break the bank!!! It just doesn't make sense to me that if they put in a 6" duct run to a room but they know it may need to have a 8" duct run how much money are we talking about !!!! The over all duct system of a home from using the wrong size to making sure it is right from the start is in realaity costing the builders more in the long run than it would to be sure there sub is doing the job right from the start..... and the cost to do so is basically pennies on the dollar to make it right !!!! Or is my sense of thinking here just totally wrong and all those builders we hear about on this forum are right that if they can save a couple of pennies here and there really in there best insterest or do they not understand the HO is willing and wants there home to be right from start to finish and for XXX $$$$$ you can put this in and it will be right or you can save here and get this here, and the builder is seeing dollars signs when that happens. It's a crime in my mind and how these builders stay in bussiness is beyond me

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12