Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Quiet furnace please

When we received the keys to our new place back in January we spent the very first stay sleeping on a mattress in the empty house. Both of us woke up groggy and realized that the furnace had kept us up all night...

After having one tech come over (the very first day) to make sure the furnace (Keepright N9MP2075) was functioning properly, and then another to confirm and turn the blower down to the slowest speed, we spent the first month waking up early with the furnace. Then after I programmed the thermostat to start heating later in the morning, we would sleep but wake up to a cold house. You get the picture...

It's a new house, still under 1 year's warranty.

Furnace techs say it must be the ducting since it goes directly from the furnace in the basement straight up to our bedroom on 2nd floor (two floors up, but the noise is just as loud as if you're standing next to the furnace!). Then, I'm not sure if this is the case, but the ducting guys say they can't do anything and that it must be the furnace LOL

Let me get to my simple question(s):
    - As far as I've looked into it a two-stage/variable speed furnace from Trane (XV95) is far more than the current Keepright (N9MP2075, which we have the option to buy and currently rent), are there any mulit-stage/variable speed QUIET furnaces that are more affordable out there?
    - Could anyone recommend a good tech around Gatineau QC Canada region (Ottawa/Outaouais), if there are any cunucks lurking here

Thanks. Hoping to get more sleep next winter,
    Mike
    Last edited by msowka; 05-26-2008 at 10:57 PM.

Please edit out pric references. Pricing is not allowed on this forum. Thank you.

If its the duct work, a VS could make even more noise.
    Hopefully one of the canuks will be close to you. You need someone to determine what the real cause of the noise is, instead of guessing and changing out a furnace that could make it worse.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Keepright??? Is that a Lux??? Never heard of it but there is something familiar about that model number.....

OP....you are under a first year warranty?? I would start rattling some chains!!
    I need a new signature.....

could be one of 2 things your furnace blower motor is over sized or your duct work in undersized or I could be completely wrong.

Keeprite

[QUOTE=msowka;1871021]

This is keeprite only furnace that doesn't have the hassle free warranty for a reason. They are loud and builders love them because they are cheap. Go get 3 Quotes from reputable dealers in your area and see if you can go to variable speed, way quieter if duct work is sized properly. Get into staging or modulation, lower heating stage means lower CFM means less noise. Just 1 note from non bias dealer Carrier has a very quiet model that was made for people like you, it is Model 58 MVC. Have a goodday and tell dealer to send finder fee to me out west.
    Do it right the first time.

Hey I have that furnace in my home and love it !!!! If you got the money to spend that's what I would put in your home 58 MVC 3 stage furnace very quiet in fact so quiet you could put it in your closet and you wouldn't know it was there !!!

Smart man

Quote Originally Posted by DanW13 View Post
    Hey I have that furnace in my home and love it !!!! If you got the money to spend that's what I would put in your home 58 MVC 3 stage furnace very quiet in fact so quiet you could put it in your closet and you wouldn't know it was there !!!

You are a smartman Dan. Now help me convince these rheem guys.

Yes, the manufacturer sells under several brand names, in fact the manual has is marked as *9MP2 (* denotes the C/H/bla/blabla brand)

Is the familarity with the model number a good or bad thing?

Sorry, i'll edit that out. I didn't make reference to absolute prices for a reason, but just wanted to make a point in the price difference...

their is no real problem

Quote Originally Posted by msowka View Post
    Sorry, i'll edit that out. I didn't make reference to absolute prices for a reason, but just wanted to make a point in the price difference...

Just they are very basic and we do get complaints of noise.

[QUOTE=21degrees;1871135]

This is keeprite only furnace that doesn't have the hassle free warranty for a reason. They are loud and builders love them because they are cheap.

I certainly believe the bit about Keepright! I looked up the Carrier model you recommend, sounds great, but this items seems to be a top-of-the-line jobbie that may be out of reach ($) for me as much as the Trane XV95 unit. no?

I don't know you area dealers

[QUOTE=msowka;1871428]
    Quote Originally Posted by 21degrees View Post

! I looked up the Carrier model you recommend, sounds great, but this items seems to be a top-of-the-line jobbie that may be out of reach ($) for me as much as the Trane XV95 unit. no?

You never no until you get a quote. I would think they would be close
    in price. Just guessing. Trane and Rheem also have Quiet models out there.
    Try and get Decible rating if possible from other manufactors. XV95 is good

If you live in tract housingm you may be suffering from squarefootitis. This is where the builder dictates a price per square foot to the contractor in return for getting all the systems to install. Typically this is recognized by low quality equipment, undersized noisy ductwork, and high heating bills. Other names are baddesignsyndrome, and hackortunity. A new variable speed or multistage system may help. Have you tried putting the system to a mode where the fan runs all of the time, thereby becoming background noise? instead of allowing it to cycle on a call for heating? How about giving it more return area?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast