Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 21degrees View Post
    Top 2 for cooling and bottom 2 for heating. they all have adjustable dampers and you can balance you system with out internal dampers use registers. You should also have more than 1 return air per floor. If yo have no returns in bedroom keep doors open. So heat can escape.
    He said they're supplies. He has 2 A/C units.
    Wouldn't need 2 units for high supply for cooling and low supply for heating.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

ya know most high low stack heads come with slide damper in the head behind the register if memory serves

the tech should be able to remove the top reg and just slide the medal shield closed to restict the air a little.

I have done this many time with over head systems that are to tight to reach any dampers

high low was real common for any new hud or fha house at one time

Is it just me or did the installer in this one get in a little over his head? For crying out loud...you gotta walk before you run. Maybe he should have just designed each system to be able to keep the house at a steady temperature instead of putting on his "engineer's" hat and out thinking himself!
    I need a new signature.....

Quote Originally Posted by tinknocker service tech View Post
    any dampers

high low was real common for any new hud or fha house at one time
    Didn't the OP say the 2 systems are connected to the same duct system in this case.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by I_bend_metal View Post
    Is it just me or did the installer in this one get in a little over his head? For crying out loud...you gotta walk before you run. Maybe he should have just designed each system to be able to keep the house at a steady temperature instead of putting on his "engineer's" hat and out thinking himself!

i think you are on to something and have thought that from the start
    it also is possible the installers dont realy know how to lay out and were thrown to the wolves and this guy became the meal.

2 A/Cs for top floor

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    He said they're supplies. He has 2 A/C units.
    Wouldn't need 2 units for high supply for cooling and low supply for heating.

He has 2 A/Cs for top floor? WOW! I just thought that maybe he would have run 2 high wall supplies for room with big heat gain and 2 low wall for heat and you can close top or bottom for season. But 2 A/Cs for top floor, that is sales at its finest. Can I get his number!
    Do it right the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Didn't the OP say the 2 systems are connected to the same duct system in this case.

from the pictures and the way the op discribe i take it as hig low registers

close bottom one to push air out the top and close top to push out the bottom. Personaly i say just leave them all open and let the air do its thing

The OP states the bedrooms get too cool in summer but the hallway thermostat never shuts the system off....always helps to reread the OP now and then! As to why...simple, the thermostat in the hallway is "feeling" air that is being warmed downstairs and is rising to the upper floor via stack effect. The thermostat could not care less about the bedrooms...it does not see bedroom air. A solution may be to have an additional return installed in the master bedroom, and the daughter's room, and then move the thermostat into the master. The hallway is only going to see air from downstairs and what amount of air makes it out of the upstairs bedrooms and into the central return.

Registers

Just to clear something up. My upstairs registers are only connected to the attic HVAC system and both the top and bottom registers only throw out hot or cold air all at once. The concept was that hot air rises so during the winter I should open the bottom registers but during the summer I should open the top because cool air falls. There's nothing stopping me from opening all registers at once to get hot air during the winter or cool air during the summer.

The basement and first floor registers are only connected to my basement HVAC system.

By the way, I checked to see if my lines were crossed and they weren't (but I wouldn't have been shocked if they were).

Thats what I thought

Quote Originally Posted by CoquiLostInNY View Post
    Just to clear something up. My upstairs registers are only connected to the attic HVAC system and both the top and bottom registers only throw out hot or cold air all at once. The concept was that hot air rises so during the winter I should open the bottom registers but during the summer I should open the top because cool air falls. There's nothing stopping me from opening all registers at once to get hot air during the winter or cool air during the summer.
    It is designed good. Now if we can figure out the other senerio.
    Do it right the first time.

couple quick questions if i may

did he replace the txv yet?

if he added refrigerant a couple times then did he find the leak or wasn't it charged properly from the start?

did he do a room to room temp difference and cfm check?
    has he said anything about what he can do about the inbalacne in air flow?

telling you the walls are only 3in thick is a line most houses have 3 in walls
    the dampers should be in the collars coming off the main trunk and should not be to hard to install after the fact

the stat seems to be in a poor location and is being affected by the first floor system. Why not have it moved to a better spot like the master bedroom

high low registers are good but if you aren't balanced out properly they don't mean a thing

i think you are being jerked around hoping you give up or warranty runs out witch ever comes first

I Finally Have Ac

Well after several months of being jerked around by my builder's HVAC guy I finally had enough and hired an outside contractor who got my AC working and you'll never guess what was causing all my problems! A PENNY!!! That's right. There was a penny stuck inside one of my copper pipe elbows which feed my supply line. Because of that penny no coolant was able to travel through my system which in turned put a strain on my outdoor compressor eventually burning it out. Another thing my HVAC contractor found wrong was that there was a ton of oil in my A-coil which he said was related to the clog. The last thing he found wrong was that my 2 ton unit was undersized so he replaced the burnt out 2 ton Weatherking with a 2.5 ton Goodman (both outdoor compressor and indoor coil).

Everything appears to be working now so I'm going to hire him to come back and install dampers in my attic to finally balance my upstairs system. In addition he's going to make my return ducts larger and install register filters.

Thanks again to all you guys who suggested ideas and provide me with great advice. This site is awesome!

By the way, this story doesn't end here. My builder is telling me that I have to reclaim all my damages directly from HVAC guy which is total BS so I going to have to file a warranty claim against him. Hopefully this is such a clear cut case that it will be a no-brainer and I'll get my money back.

BTW - Check out the picture of the most expensive penny I've ever seen!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

now that is a good one
    guy must have put the elbow in his pocket and never looked inside when he used it

you found a good tech to find that one take care of him and keep him

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast