Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 40 to 52 of 66
  1. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    Posts
    11,346
    Quote Originally Posted by CoquiLostInNY View Post
    beenthere, I have one return for the attic unit which is located in my second floor hallway. I have two returns for my basement unit. One of the returns is located on my main floor near the staircast to the basement and the other return (its really small) is located in the ceiling in the basement. I'll take those pics and upload them shortly.

    jrbenny, you hit in right on the button!!!

    redwing, I can't have my units balanced because the installer/designer didn't install dampers in my unit.
    Take some pics of those multiple supply register configurations while you're at it. While it sounds like you have other design/installation problems, the configuration you describe whereby you're supposed to switch between high and low (how...by closing dampers at the registers you don't want to use?) may be part of the problem (certainly not the sole reason), being either insufficient air volume supplied to the room, improper air distribution patterns, or both.

  2. #41
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Bergen County, NJ
    Posts
    36

    Angry

    Here are some pics of the supply register in my hallway as well as the multiple registers in my bedrooms.

    I also wanted to let you guys know that I turned on the unit responsible for my first floor (the unit not working) and noticed that instead of the outdoor unit throwing out hot air, it was throwing out cool/cold air. When I touched the pipes that connect the outdoor unit to the indoor coils I noticed that that pipes connected to the unit that was throwing out hot air wasn't as cold as the other pipe.

    Another thing that I noticed. When I opened the door to my first floor furnance/coil I noticed the diagnostic green LED was a solid color which as per the chart on the back of the door means the system is running without any issues. Guess the system doesn't know its broken... so much for a diagnostics.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

  3. #42
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,876
    The diagnostic codes don't really do much other than let us pro's know where to start looking for the problem....just because a code says a part failed.....doesn't mean that part is bad...it probably failed for a reason. Trouble codes = Part changer's guide to idiocy
    I need a new signature.....

  4. #43
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Bergen County, NJ
    Posts
    36
    Its funny that you say that because I was on the phone with another HVAC tech and when I told him that the light was a solid green he told me that he wouldn't know where to start. Is it just mean or am I doomed to be without AC this summer.

    Question, does the cold air coming out of the outdoor condenser unit mean anything?

  5. #44
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,876
    It means your system isn't working right. Air conditioners do not "cool"....they remove heat...when you put your hand over the top of that thing it should be warm bordering on hot air depending on the conditions. (Thus removing heat) Cool air out the top is a sign of undercharge....for one thing....but in this situation I think you have other issues as well that we are all trying to help you with.
    I need a new signature.....

  6. #45
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Bergen County, NJ
    Posts
    36
    Once again, thank you all for all the useful info. Hopefully I'll get this issue resolved sometime in the near future and once I do I'll be sure to pass along the information on what it took to get it fixed.

    Wish me luck!

  7. #46
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Suppy NC
    Posts
    4,513
    Quote Originally Posted by CoquiLostInNY View Post
    Here are some pics of the supply register in my hallway as well as the multiple registers in my bedrooms.

    I also wanted to let you guys know that I turned on the unit responsible for my first floor (the unit not working) and noticed that instead of the outdoor unit throwing out hot air, it was throwing out cool/cold air. When I touched the pipes that connect the outdoor unit to the indoor coils I noticed that that pipes connected to the unit that was throwing out hot air wasn't as cold as the other pipe.

    Another thing that I noticed. When I opened the door to my first floor furnance/coil I noticed the diagnostic green LED was a solid color which as per the chart on the back of the door means the system is running without any issues. Guess the system doesn't know its broken... so much for a diagnostics.
    in most furnaces the light is for heating mode and has little to nothing to do with ac mode
    i am a little curious about some thing here. Please just humor me on this as dumb as it may sound.

    turn on the dn unit and turn off the second floor unit. Now watch the copper lines and see if any of them start to ice up.
    i for some reason have a strange feeling the lines may be crossed and feeding the wrong unit or something along these lines.


    have seen this happen on ocasion not offten. I have had one once where the liquid lines were crossed and only found it this way.

    for new units seems to many problems and some one realy needs to spend some more time diagnosing and less time bs

  8. #47
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,876
    Quote Originally Posted by tinknocker service tech View Post
    in most furnaces the light is for heating mode and has little to nothing to do with ac mode
    i am a little curious about some thing here. Please just humor me on this as dumb as it may sound.

    turn on the dn unit and turn off the second floor unit. Now watch the copper lines and see if any of them start to ice up.
    i for some reason have a strange feeling the lines may be crossed and feeding the wrong unit or something along these lines.


    have seen this happen on ocasion not offten. I have had one once where the liquid lines were crossed and only found it this way.

    for new units seems to many problems and some one realy needs to spend some more time diagnosing and less time bs

    That's a hell of a thought! (And we have all seen stranger things happen!)
    I need a new signature.....

  9. #48
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lancaster PA
    Posts
    68,097
    Id those high and low regs are hooked to different units. You got one of the stranges systems I've seen.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

  10. #49
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Grundy Co. IL
    Posts
    773
    Speaking of strange things, we got called out to a church a couple years ago, because the installing company couldn't figure out why sometimes the units would freeze up, and other times they were fine. Somebody hooked up the 2-wire wrong, the only time it worked was on Sunday, when both units were calling for cooling.

  11. #50
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Suppy NC
    Posts
    4,513
    Quote Originally Posted by I_bend_metal View Post
    That's a hell of a thought! (And we have all seen stranger things happen!)

    your right it is reaching but what he is discribing reaching is all that is left lol


    as far as high low registers i have done them many times and they do work i guess for the most part.

    dampers should be installed.
    the stat should be moved to master bed room
    2 ton for 750sq ft is a bit much and i also think the blower needs to be slowed down to about 70 percent or low speed as long as the unit doesnt ice up for longer run time and hopefuly better dehumidifing.
    jmo

  12. #51
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Alberta Canada
    Posts
    2,246

    Could be 4 supply lines

    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Id those high and low regs are hooked to different units. You got one of the stranges systems I've seen.
    Top 2 for cooling and bottom 2 for heating. they all have adjustable dampers and you can balance you system with out internal dampers use registers. You should also have more than 1 return air per floor. If yo have no returns in bedroom keep doors open. So heat can escape.
    Do it right the first time.

  13. #52
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Grundy Co. IL
    Posts
    773
    I've seen tnat done around here, but, it's with the high and low returns, not supply grills.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event