Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    How many BTU, is both furnace, and A/C?? If you don't know, what's the model#??

like most the guys have already said, have another company come in for a second opinion. kinda sounds like a design issue to me.

2 furnace's for such a small home, at least you will have no problem getting spare parts for awhile

You should be in sales

Quote Originally Posted by DanW13 View Post
    2 furnace's for such a small home, at least you will have no problem getting spare parts for awhile
    That is the best reason I have heard so far for having that second furnace. I have such a hard time trying to convince people on retros going from 1 furnace to 2. R U in sales if not get in soon, you just might miss your calling.
    Do it right the first time.

Thumbs up Design = Certain

Quote Originally Posted by CoquiLostInNY View Post
    Question for the pro's out there. Is there a certain amount of air that suppose to come out of each register?
    Yes, the design air flow rate +/- a small %.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Angry

Thank you all for such great info and I'll try to answer some of the questions asked.

Unit installed in the basement:

http://www.rheemac.com/products/ProductInfo.aspx?XSL_File=rheemac_product_profile. xsl&Market=Residential&SectionVar=Heating&Category =Gas%20Furnaces&SpecificModel=90RJ

Unit installed in the attic:

http://www.rheemac.com/products/Prod...ificModel=80PS

In terms of the thermostat, its installed in the second floor hallway definitely within range of an updraft from the first floor. There are no registers serving the hallway but the air return is almost directly (about 3' off) above the thermostat.

As for the duct work. In the basement I see sheet metal duct but the attic uses 6' or 8" flex pipe.

Regarding registers, my bedroom has 5 registers (1 near the floor and 4 in or near the ceiling). My daughter's room has 4 (2 near the floor and 2 near the ceiling). My office or third bedroom also has 4 registers and is the same config as my daughters room. My kitchen has 2 registers, both near the floor. My living / dining room has about 5 registers, all near the floor. Last but not least is my basement and that has about 3 registers (one in the ceiling and two near the floor).

The tech servicing my HVAC unit is the same tech that installed it. I'm stuck using this guy because I purchased a newly constructed home and so he has to address any warranty issues. That being said I did have another HVAC tech come in and check the system out while installing a humidifier for me and he mentioned that the return air supply was smaller than what he would have liked to see.

The saddest thing about this all is I have yet to see my HVAC tech come with any type of special tools. When I had my last house the guys come with something that looked like a small fan on a handheld device and used that tool to measure the airflow coming out of all the registers. They were able to tell me the temp coming out along with the amount of cfm's of air pressure. This guy doesn't even have (or shows up with) a gauge to measure the temp or humidity (he tried installing some humidifiers but had to return my money because they never worked).

I would love to ask my HVAC guy some questions which will make him think, "Wow, this guy knows I'm full of SH!T or don't know what I'm doing".
    Last edited by CoquiLostInNY; 05-27-2008 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Missing link

Ask him what the room by room Manual J said the individual room CFM's neede are. And ask him what the actual CFM's are by his volometer.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

You linked us to the products, but what is the full model # both indoor and out door, so we can get an ideal what the BTU rating for both furnace and A/C.

Angry

If I'm not mistaken the furnance in the basement is a 45k BTU unit and the one in the attic is 75k BTU. I checked my outdoor units but don't see anything that reads "tons", etc. I'll post the exact models shortly.

Angry

The saga continues... I just spoke to the HVAC contractor who's at my house for the fifth time in the past three weeks trying to get my AC working. He told me that my system was low on freon (which he filled two or three times already) but that he couldn't fill it when it was under 70 degrees outside. This sounds like total BS to me.

When I asked him when and if he could balance my system he replied that he couldn't because I don't have any internal dampers and the reason for that was because my house was framed using 2" x 4". Because of this he had to use what he called "stack head" ducts. Mind you, the walls were fully exposed when he ducted my house.

To all the pro's out there... Does any of this make any sense?

Many techs don't charge systems when its under 70*F.

He should have installed dampered takeoffs.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Many techs don't charge systems when its under 70*F.

He should have installed dampered takeoffs.

or got the stack heads with the slide volume damper in them

did you talk to him about stat location

I think beenthere, already gave you the right answer, find a new tech. I know this is the guy you have to deal with for any warranty work, so you will have to pay another company out of your own pocket, but if he can fix it, and you're comfy in you're new house, I think it might be worth it. Also if he is coming out adding more ref., have him find the leak and fix it while it's still under warranty. Good luck, sorry you're having a bad HVAC exp., but as you can tell from this web-site, we're not all like that.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast