Old Man's Beard - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old Man's Beard

Don't they know that an ice machine is a cheaper way to make ice. That machine was ran without a filter. These so called filter change services are mostly a joke. Most of the people that run them are usually guys that could not cut it in the hvacr industry. They change filters for usually half of what anyone else can charge. Have you seen some of these guys. I wouldn't let them in my house. Some of the ones I have seen look like they are looking for there next fix. Although I am sure there must be some good companies. I ain't seen one yet.

i wont name names but a lot of retail stores have another company source their maintenance. that company calls you to have work done, which includes a general test and inspect and change filters. they will not pay a dollar extra than what they quote you. you have to come in under their ammount, and you have to call for permission to clean coils, burners, etc etc. most of the time they deny it. all they want is someone to change filters, and they pay for breakdowns as they occur. then someone else gets the maintenance, and says wtf did these people do? this is why.

So how did you get off that ice in one chunk again? I would of had to pull out the buckets of water/torch for that one, the ice around the coil is also the hardest and stuck deep in the fins. I don't get how you could just walk up to the unit and pull off that chunk of ice unless this was a heat pump or had a hot gas bypass?
    gahh

Actually, after the remaining libation(beer) passed through my system, I remembered that these are actually heat pumps. I had put that one into heat and kept pulling at the slab until it worked loose from the fins The ice inside the coil area melted first allowing me to extricate that massive chunk of ice. I just eased it on out of there, propped it up and took some pictures.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” —Albert Einstein

Isn't that a small 1" thick washable air filter I spy laying over the return inlet? It looks to be only about 14x25x1 and the electrostatic type!

That thing needs to be pitched the fack off of the roof and the normal filter rack reinstalled along the evap coil.

I would also then us the 2" pleated filters. It would provide about 6 times the surface area as that POS washable electrostatic filter laying in there!
    True Heavy Metal Geek

Payson, this particular customer contracts with some filter changing service from somewhere and whatever they contracted to use in the units is what the customer is going to get, we are not allowed to do anything with the filters except maybe shake the dust out, or rinse them if needed, and put them back in.
    The material you spy is just a fiberglass media that has, if I'm lucky and usually I'm not, an almost 10% efficiency rating, until they get clogged like you saw earlier. Actually, the media is maybe 1/2" thick, it's the frame that's 1".

All of our customers are now pinching pennies so tightly Ole Abe is screaming his little head off due to the action of our oh so wonderful economy, and the fact that the majority of them are having less revenue than in the past from people not purchasing anything from them.
    We find a fair number of major repairs at many of these sites where we have to submit a repair estimate to the corporate bean counters and usually, unless there's only the one unit at the site, they won't authorize repairs because the rest of the units are operating in some fashion.

It's been a little over two months now and the repairs for this site are still in limbo, we haven't gotten approval yet and may not at any time soon.
    Last edited by william antley; 07-30-2008 at 07:52 PM.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” —Albert Einstein

Got to love bean counters.

One of our largest customers has like 20 retail stores in AZ.
    They cut their quarterly PM's back to bi-annual. That is over 40 days less PM's per year for us just for them.
    True Heavy Metal Geek

I recently went to a site (a national phone service provider) for which I've done work for at least 5 of the last 10 years--in different regions of the U.S. with two different mech companies.

Did a PM, a monthly installation of a quarterly PM and picked up a humidifier lamp at the end of the day to replace it, as it had been my experience in every other instance with this group that they would have me take care of it.

I was surprised to learn that I had to return the Liebert quartz lamp to the supplier because they won't replace it until the "low humidity" service call comes across the phone!

I thought that would never happen, but it did. Maybe I should ask Senor Bush to send them another stimulus check.
    It's great to be alive and pumping oxygen!

how do they think they are saving money? pay me now or pay me later. I saw that quote on here somewhere, and its so true its sad...

It's fairly typical behavior of all customers, if it ain't dead, leave it alone. We'll call you if we need you and they don't seem to realize that if we take care of the problem while we're changing the filters, they don't have to spend a lot more money to fix it when it does break.
    We don't do anymore proactive service since the customers don't want to pay to prevent breakdowns and preventative service isn't necessarily preventative anymore as well.
    It's turned into fix it after it breaks and if we decide we want to spend the money, until then leave it alone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12