Rite-Temp not so rite

Rite-Temp not so rite

I am trying to help a family member with their gas fireplace...

Rite-Temp
    Mod- RTN300TQ
    S/N- RT03076824

The unit litghts fine, but within 20 secs of switching the fan on, it shuts down. I had NO tools with me... couldn't even remove a panel. I am thinking that it could be the hi-limit that I can see near the blower, but couldn't get to it to jump it out and test that theory. I find it hard to believe that there would be some kind of overcurrent protection that the fan could be tripping, but I am stumped. Could it be anything besides that hi-limit?

Thanks

Your description of symptoms is vague.

When you say it shuts down --- what shguts down, the main burner or pilot burner, or both?

Are you turning the main burner on, with the fan turning on after five minutes or so, with whatever it is shutting down after that, or are you manually turning the fan on?

Sorry... I don't normally deal with these things... Both main burner and pilot shutting down at the same time... manually turning the fan on after 5 mins or so. If you need more info, just let me know, I'll give you what I can. I only had a little bit of time to screw around with it, and no tools. If you leave the fan off, it seems to stay on. I was thinking that the fan is circulating "just enough" heat to trip the overly sensitive hi-limit, but I don't know. Since I don't normally deal with these, and had no tools, I wasn't sure what other kinds (if any) safeties may be in this thing. Thanks for the help.

If you look carefully at the pilot flame, you will see that it strikes one, or perhaps two rods. When you turn the burner on, you will probably see the flame lift off one or both of those rods.

The rods are thermocouples which sense that the pilot light is lit. If the flame doesn't strike them, the gas valve turns the gas off as you describe.

If that's what you see, the pilot burner probably needs to be cleaned.

Well I can't find any info on that unit. Would be nice to know if it is Direct Vent, B-Vent or VentFree. If it is B-Vented it is possible when the fan is turned on it takes air away from intake on the bottom of the firebox and the pilot lifts or curls. Could also be a hi-limit switch. There are lots of factors that would need to be investigated.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattlePioneer View Post
    If you look carefully at the pilot flame, you will see that it strikes one, or perhaps two rods. When you turn the burner on, you will probably see the flame lift off one or both of those rods.

The rods are thermocouples which sense that the pilot light is lit. If the flame doesn't strike them, the gas valve turns the gas off as you describe.

If that's what you see, the pilot burner probably needs to be cleaned.
    From what little I did have time to notice when I was there, I think you might be onto something here. I did notice that the pilot flame was barely making it to the flame sensor (which I cleaned), however I didn't think to watch how the flame reacted at the moment the fan came on. I will definitely have to look into this next time I make it out there. If this is the case, then I assume you would think it was most likely the burner needing cleaning rather than gas pressure?

Quote Originally Posted by jtp10181 View Post
    Well I can't find any info on that unit. Would be nice to know if it is Direct Vent, B-Vent or VentFree. If it is B-Vented it is possible when the fan is turned on it takes air away from intake on the bottom of the firebox and the pilot lifts or curls. Could also be a hi-limit switch. There are lots of factors that would need to be investigated.
    I did a little poking around online and found this....

http://www.ritetemp.info/rt/GB01/RTN300TQ_RTL300TQ.pdf

The troubleshooting section leaves a bit to be desired (as they usually do) but it is saying gas pressure, dirty pilot, or lack of fresh air. I am ruling out fresh air, since the door and windows were open that day since it was nice outside. It doesn't specifically mention the fan, though, just if it shuts off during operation. Since it doesn't look like it was professionally installed, I am thinking it is very possible that the gas pressure was never checked and could be the problem, which in turn, could have caused the dirty burner. (correct me if I'm wrong)

Thanks for the help, guys.

Its a Vent Free. These can be very dangerous if not serviced by a pro trained to deal with type of fireplace. The pilot has an ODS sensor which is a critical safety. Most likely the entire things just need a good cleaning up. If the logs are even slightly out of position it can cause more CO output that intended and be dangerous. Definitely get a GOOD low level CO detector in the room with that thing.

Quote Originally Posted by jtp10181 View Post
    Its a Vent Free. These can be very dangerous if not serviced by a pro trained to deal with type of fireplace. The pilot has an ODS sensor which is a critical safety. Most likely the entire things just need a good cleaning up. If the logs are even slightly out of position it can cause more CO output that intended and be dangerous. Definitely get a GOOD low level CO detector in the room with that thing.
    Thanks for the warning on that... I will certainly bring this to her attention. I remember years ago we had the Fire Dept at our house for CO... it was from a leaky coal stove, but scary nonetheless. I'm just glad my daughter wasn't home that day...

As I said, the odds are that if you observe the pilot flame closely, you will see that it rises off the thermocouple(s), and that shortly thereafter gas shuts off because of that.

Were gas pressure the problem, you would see the pilot flame get smaller every time you tunred the main burner on, and it would get larger when you shut the main burner off.

So you need to observe the pilot flame carefully, but the probability is that you have a dirty pilot burner.

ritetemp vent free gas stove

I have the same problem with my ritetemp gas stove. I noticed the pilot light had an incorrect flame pattern and the stove shuts off during use. The questions I have are: do they still make this stove and is there a service company that comes to your home and services these stoves. I have had my stove for almost 9 years and it has never been serviced. Help!

Cool

I cannot find where Rite Temp still makes stoves. There is a Rite Temp that makes thermostats. The company info should be on the listing tag. If they are out of business, that's all the more reason to get rid of that unit. Using a ventfree is bad enough but one that is malfunctioning and dirty is rather hazardous. Plan on replacing it with a vented unit or flowers next to an electric unit but I'd shy away from VF.

If you provide your location someone here might know of a qualified technician who might be able to help you.

I just got a call from the company and they provided me with a service number for stoves (877-866-5989) I am going to call them tomorrow and see what they recommend. I am in Albany NY...do you know of any service companies in my area?