Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

semi hermetic compressor pins broke

Have a carlye 06E semi hermetic which has 2 pins holding the reeds in place and the pins broke off flush with the compressor. Tryed to drill them out with a cobalt drill bit but getting no where fast and just breaking the little bits. any suggestions.

i would of tried a strong magnet

since you already tried to drill it, it may be to late!

Last edited by Airmechanical; 05-25-2008 at 11:36 AM.

I'm curious to hear if anyone has a way to get them out.
    I have tried everything I could think of and it always comes down to replacing the compressor. I don't feel too bad about that as the one I had last month was installed in 1982.
    Also, with a bad valve after awhile the heat starts tearing up the guts. I've had enough of them fail in the months right after putting a valve plate on that I don't even like to that unless it is a fresh compressor.
    Have fun, be safe,
    Mike

How big are the pins? Something like 1/4" if I recall in my fuzzy memory.

Could use a dremel with a diamond bit to bore it out. Or, if possible, bore a small hole in it, thread a zerk in it and pump grease in it. If the hole (in the compressor) is sealed, when you pump the grease in it'll push the pin out.

In general I'd say that's way too much work for an old compressor... just replace it. It's just money
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

I can tell you how to stop it from happening, loosen, do not remove the head bolts, and hit the head dead center with a hammer, and it will pop the head and valve plate loose.

To get it out try a strong magnet, if you've drilled on it they may not come out.

Yeah I've screwed one or two up before

...and I thought dropping them in the compressor was bad

1/4" sounds like the pins on a 5h.
    The 06s are less than 1/8 and the valve just cuts through them after many years.
    Mike

Not if the valves are put in right, but if they are worn out from the valves, you need a new comp any way

broken pins

had same problem, drilled small angled hole toward broken pin, took a while and several bits, used dental pick to remove broken pin, epoxied in new pin.

Quote Originally Posted by ceg22 View Post
    had same problem, drilled small angled hole toward broken pin, took a while and several bits, used dental pick to remove broken pin, epoxied in new pin.

I've also heard that. Center punch near the pin and drill at an angle with a 1/16" bit or a little larger.
    It's usually the valve plate locator pins that break when the tech smacks the head on the side.
    Tracers work both ways.

I did repairs on this problem a couple of times.
    You have to drill a small hole next to the broken pin just large enough to pick the pin out from the bottom. It may have to be at a slight angle. You cannot drill throught the pin. Pry the broken pin out.
    Now drill out the hole with a 1/4 or 5/16 drill usining the pin hole as center. Dont go too deep.
    Get a 1/4 or 5/16 brass rod that is a little higher than the face of compressor valve machining, maybe a 1/32 inch. Hit the rod with a hammer into the hole. It will expand in the hole and set itself. You may have to file a little off to make it flush.
    Now you need an old valve plate the same size to use as a template for the new pin hole to be drilled into the new brass plug. You have to drill the pin holes throught the old valve plate. Use the exact size drill as the hole for the pin in the plate. Set the old plate on the good pins and drill out the new hole. Not too deep.

It is quite a bit of work but I have never had one fail.

Glen

As often as this has happened I wonder why Carrier doesn't do a Copeland or at least something else. Even a label.
    Tracers work both ways.

When they sheared off in the body, I just cut the end off of a new dowel pin and inserted it [partially sticking out] of the valve plate. The broken end [in the body] and the cut end butted on top on each other. The valve has to be held in position while you are placing it on the body [kind of a pain].

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast