Post Likes

Hydronic Pellet Heating

Hello forum,

in an older post I was looking for a hydronic pellet cook stove. I found one in Europe, but the certification process with ULC is way to extensive and expensive..
    I would have to send them an extra machine for destruction.

A google search has not reveiled any hydronic pellet heating systems.
    Can anyone tell me an in Canada certified heating system which runs on pellets
    and distributes the heat through water pipes?

best,

Philipp

Post Likes
    Just look for a "pellet boiler" there are plenty of options like that if you are willing to give up the cook stove part.

3. Likes phst liked this post
    Post Likes
    shortly after I posted I learned about this correct term, "pellet boiler".
    no wonder I did not have the best search results. Thank you.

Post Likes
    In Canada it is possible to have a legal and allowable installation of an uncertified appliance if you have a local WETT installer who is knowledgeable and willing. You would want to check with your insurance company and local authority having jurisdiction first to make sure they would accept this alternate certification path, but the CSA has guidelines for installations of uncertified appliances.

This path would likely be more relevant to the cook stove than the boiler.

Post Likes
    Hi Kyoufu, I have tried that.. but no one seems responsible.

WETT answer:
    "You would need approval from the municipal building department."

Municipal Building Department:
    "you need WETT or other certification/approval"

ULC answer:
    "We haven’t set up a Field Evaluation program for wood-fired equipment and thus, we would have to do a field certification approach and that means destroying a sample. This can be done at Services Polytests in the Montréal area with one of our staff witnessing the testing. Also, if this is used for hydronic heating and has a pressure vessel, then the pressure vessel needs a CRN number issued by TSSA."

Post Likes
    So this is how it (should) work. ULC is for appliance certification and would not be involved at all. That, as you have discovered, is an expensive route and not designed for one offs.

Your most important first step is call your insurance company and make sure they would be willing to accept this type of installation (WETT installation as per CSA b365 on an uncertified appliance). You could have everything done right and still have your insurance company say "nope, sorry." Many insurance companies are a bit clueless about solid fuel related issues as they are less common, so you may have to try a few times or escalate to find someone who actually knows what you are talking about.

Once you've verified you will still have house insurance at the end of this, the steps should look something like this:
    Step one the building inspector needs to agree that they are willing to accept WETT / B365 standards from a WETT installer. ie If the installer is WETT certified and does everything correctly, the building inspector will OK it. If they are not willing, game over.

If they give the OK then you make sure a qualified and willing WETT certified installer is available. You will then pull an installation permit, and inform the WETT installer of your discussion with municipality (or put him in contact with the building inspector your spoke with). He will then proceed to do the installation. He will follow the relevant codes and CSA standards and do everything correctly. You should have some forms from the municipality and from your insurance company for him to fill out stating that everything has been done correctly, and noting installation details such as required clearances, actual clearances, his WETT number, appliance info and company information.

You will then inform the building inspector it has been done and he will come inspect it. Ideally he will pass it and you are in business.

The generic form that most insurance companies seem to use is quite easy to find: "Solid fuel heating questionnaire" so if yours doesn't have a form to fill out, I'd suggest printing one of those off.

Post Likes
    wow thank you so much for this extensive and clear answer.
    The process seems a lot clearer to me now.

I am an architect from Switzerland and used to bureaucracy,
    but it is hard to get to know a new system.

Did you read the part with "hydronic heating with pressure vessel"?
    Will B365 cover this?

I have spoken to the building inspector before, if it adheres to
    B365 then it is fine with him.

So next step finding a WETT installer then..

thank you again!

Post Likes
    Technically the answer to your question is yes, it is covered by B365. Realistically though, you are going to have difficulty finding someone with the correct knowledge, skillset, as well as WETT certified who would be willing and able to do the installation safely through this path.

If you did find someone I expect it would be a plumber who is very familiar with boilers & hydronic heating and is also WETT certified. Good luck.

Post Likes
    I actually found one in the mean time.
    I showed them the device and sent all
    the details. They say they will be able
    to help me out, they are WETT certified.

I stay sceptical, as it was quite the
    crazyness up to this point, but I am
    hopeing for the best.

Thank you again!