Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    That is awsome. Enjoy.

They last a long time because they don't have to work that hard: most of the cooling comes from your electric meter spinning so fast that it puts a nice breeze through the house.

Seriously, though... I've worked on a few, only maintenances, no repairs.

Geez, I hate to say it, but I'm really jealous.

I had a relative that worked there back in the heyday. I've become sort of a collector of their HVAC division products, mainly with their spine fin coils. You wouldn't happen to know of where I could buy a brand new GE SuperThrust with the Spine fin coils and aluminum exterior case would you?

Don't have the room for split systems, but I do have some of the Carry Cools and one Fashionette.

Quote Originally Posted by Catpower View Post
    Actually the rating for a machine that age would have been EER not SEER, so you can add a couple of points to it to compare with newer units.

YA you could have replaced it 15 yrs ago and paid for a new unit by now, but the new unit would have crapped out a couple of times by now.

I kinda hate to replace one of those old tanks with a new unit, because that old GE would probably out lasted the new unit
    Not in my neck of the woods. Many onlypay $100 a month for 1.5 months... Even if you triple efficiency that's only $100 yr annual saving.

I like heat pumps, they work most of the year. Saving 10 months is much easier to justify than saving $ for a month and a half.
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

Last year the old GE condenser (see attached) at my parents house finally died (compressor locked) and I had the system replaced with a modern unit. It's as old as I am, dating from ca 1958-1960 if maintenance records are accurate. Cooled that home well for many years with minimal maintenance. Noisy son of a gun though.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Wow! Never seen a GE that old!

my nephew

By a 1966 lennox...fan motor was out ..looked like original compressor and cap..contactor too http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/picture.php...ictureid=12772
    "If you can’t describe what you are doing as a process, you don’t know what you are doing." ~ W. Edwards Deming

All those who wander..are not lost.

Do NOT..mistake my kindness for weakness.

The early bird may get the worm..but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Yea, still have a few of the HS6 unit kicking around our area. I can think of 2 at least. Tanks! Lots more of the HS8 coffee table units still here, those used to be in about every other house around.

My father in law's house in Califonia has a working ac unit that somehow cools with water that was instaled in the 1950s.

Does anyone have pictures of the plastic line set that they could send me?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345