Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Ah, memories...

Back in '82, right before Trane bought the G.E. residential a/c line, and right before I joined the Navy, I was running around in my old '71 Ford F-100, pulling a trailer, hauling brand new G.E. split systems to an install crew to retrofit 50's era houses in south Dallas. Not too long ago I drove by one of the homes we did and the condenser was still right where we put it years ago, and probably still working. They were loud, but they were tough.

Silver06: Could I trouble you to e-mail me these pictures? I'm extremely impressed by these tanks and am trying to get my hands on a few, but there are a lot of variations in the outdoor units... I can picture the one I'm most fond of in my head but can't find any picture of it online. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Silver06 View Post
    I have taken pictures of these units around here the past two years. There are a ton of GE still running around here, have about close to 40 pictures of outside condensing units, not including ones I could not see in backyards.
    I kinda became a Baldloonie of our parts. Even found some documentation from the mid 70's. Not too bad of efficiency for back then.

I know I'm nuts, but once these relics are gone, their gone. I know they could be a pain to work on, with the fan and electric compartment, and we do need a lot better effciency, and people do need job security.

Just want to document a little piece of HVAC history.

Quote Originally Posted by shophound View Post
    Ah, memories...

Back in '82, right before Trane bought the G.E. residential a/c line, and right before I joined the Navy, I was running around in my old '71 Ford F-100, pulling a trailer, hauling brand new G.E. split systems to an install crew to retrofit 50's era houses in south Dallas. Not too long ago I drove by one of the homes we did and the condenser was still right where we put it years ago, and probably still working. They were loud, but they were tough.
    That is an awful rough area to be driving around in. You should know better!
    mike

I replaced a fan blade on one this spring. Came apart at the rivets. Customer asked me if he should go ahead and replace the system. Good opportunity for a sale right? I goofed that one up. I said No! I've never had to put freon in this thing, just a contactor a couple of years ago. That's it! Let 'er run !

Here's our crop removed this summer...
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by mikelcs View Post
    I know better...areas that are considered "rough" vary in how "rough" they are. Where I went wasn't too bad. Still, wouldn't want to walk around there at night.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

The first picture there. That's the one I remember most fondly. They're a little bigger (physically) than the others. What year are they?

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Here's our crop removed this summer...

The larger one was early 70s, a deluxe unit. The other 2 were 80s with Trane name on them.

Quote Originally Posted by mikelcs View Post
    I thought you liked it rough Mike

Here's some more. I've got plenty more.

I'd love to see the rest. Could you e-mail them to me directly? I'm extremely fond of these old units!

Quote Originally Posted by Silver06 View Post
    Here's some more. I've got plenty more.

I realize this is an old thread.

this thread is the major reason I decided to buy an old '1981' G.E. 2 ton condenser as a replacement for my fridgidaire condenser which the coil went south on. I found it on a shelf in a factory all wrapped up in plastic. the unit still had the factory charge still in it (the knives were never pierced). I tried to make the install as professional as I possibly could.

after the install and superheat was adjusted it drew 11.3 amps while running. I wish I could remember the rest of the details.

enjoy the picture.

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/7496/img2161xf.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by rustybronco View Post
    I realize this is an old thread.

this thread is the major reason I decided to buy an old '1981' G.E. 2 ton condenser as a replacement for my fridgidaire condenser which the coil went south on. I found it on a shelf in a factory all wrapped up in plastic. the unit still had the factory charge still in it (the knives were never pierced). I tried to make the install as professional as I possibly could.

after the install and superheat was adjusted it drew 11.3 amps while running. I wish I could remember the rest of the details.

enjoy the picture.

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/7496/img2161xf.jpg
    It was really foolish of you to buy that condenser. J/K

Nice find, that condenser has a good chance of out living many of us. They don't make units as reliable as that anymore.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast