+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Average wage

Post Likes
    What about a good wage for a robotics technician? What should they be bringing in?

Post Likes
    How about stop negotiate pay scale with you boss and negotiate contract with business owners so you keep all that money?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    No less than 25 per hour with full benefits. I can guarantee you the company is billing them out at $90 per hour or more. The rest of the money goes upstairs to the ceo's who don't actually provide any service to the client.

4. Likes Robert25 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by James Colver View Post
    No less than 25 per hour with full benefits. I can guarantee you the company is billing them out at $90 per hour or more. The rest of the money goes upstairs to the ceo's who don't actually provide any service to the client.
    That's how I see it

Post Likes
    11 years experience. Depends how good you are after that 11 years. Years alone doesn't make a good tech.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by James Colver View Post
    If they are billing out at $90/hr and paying him $25/hr with benefits, I guarantee they are losing money. Depending on the benefits being paid, he is costing at least $40/hr. Figure that you only get about 50-60% productivity out of that employee between windshield time, warranty time, supply house time and screwing around time. Still getting paid for 8 hrs when in reality only producing for 4-5 hrs. That number now jumps to him costing $80/hr because of non-producing time. So the owner CEO type is making $10/hr off that time, but still has to pay himself, put gas in truck, pay insurance, taxes, any office personnel, etc... So yeah, they're getting rich off that guy sitting in their fat cat office who don't provide anything to the client making less than $10/hr.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

8. Likes SkyHeating, siriuse liked this post.
    Post Likes
    This is a loaded Question . its about the skill set ,Location and what the market dictates .

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bmathews View Post
    If they are billing out at $90/hr and paying him $25/hr with benefits, I guarantee they are losing money. Depending on the benefits being paid, he is costing at least $40/hr. Figure that you only get about 50-60% productivity out of that employee between windshield time, warranty time, supply house time and screwing around time. Still getting paid for 8 hrs when in reality only producing for 4-5 hrs. That number now jumps to him costing $80/hr because of non-producing time. So the owner CEO type is making $10/hr off that time, but still has to pay himself, put gas in truck, pay insurance, taxes, any office personnel, etc... So yeah, they're getting rich off that guy sitting in their fat cat office who don't provide anything to the client making less than $10/hr.
    sm

I agree mostly. Nobody is getting rich in that scenario, and yes probably losing money. That was most likely an employee that does not understand the cost of doing business. Overhead, office staffing, workers comp insurance etc... 50-60% billable rate would be most likely a resi operation in your scenario. A commercial co is more likely to be at 90% or so and they could turn a small profit. Resi companies are likely to have an hourly billable rate 3-7 times that and hope to be 50-60% efficient.

Post Likes
    Most Hvac companies don't have a fat cat CEO that does nothing. The vast majority of hvac companies are small businesses owned and operated by someone who is the a salesman or technician. They have a lot of risk and a lot of times that risk doesn't make them any money, maybe a 6 pack on Friday, other times that risk reaps a reward. All the while the hourly technician gets paid the same whether working or sitting around twiddling his thumbs with no risk at all.
    Heating/Cooling Services Inc.
    www.heatingandcoolingservicesinc.com

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    Most Hvac companies don't have a fat cat CEO that does nothing. The vast majority of hvac companies are small businesses owned and operated by someone who is the a salesman or technician. They have a lot of risk and a lot of times that risk doesn't make them any money, maybe a 6 pack on Friday, other times that risk reaps a reward. All the while the hourly technician gets paid the same whether working or sitting around twiddling his thumbs with no risk at all.
    High risk high reward and low risk low reward. If an employee is sitting "twiddling his thumbs" that is the owners fault. Probably not a good business person. If my bosses reward was a 6 pack on friday that would be a sign to get out and get out quick. An employee has to make money for his company or they won't be around long.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    sm

I agree mostly. Nobody is getting rich in that scenario, and yes probably losing money. That was most likely an employee that does not understand the cost of doing business. Overhead, office staffing, workers comp insurance etc... 50-60% billable rate would be most likely a resi operation in your scenario. A commercial co is more likely to be at 90% or so and they could turn a small profit. Resi companies are likely to have an hourly billable rate 3-7 times that and hope to be 50-60% efficient.
    My scenario is residential. I'm not familiar with commercial as I don't focus on it and do very little. I'm that fat cat CEO the other guy speaks of. I have a guy that works for me and I'm paying him and he is nowhere near producing what I'm paying him, I just want him to stick around and feed his family. So when uninformed people make assumptions and guesses I try to educate them a little about a situation. I am also not naïve enough that I understand that there are owners/CEOs that do take advantage of their employees, maybe he is a victim of that, but it is a free country and you can look for another job. I think the vast majority of owners are good people and really try to take care of their employees as best they can within their means. I try and not cast a broad net about people, but am guilty of it on occasion, the best thing to do is realize that.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

Post Likes
    Where I work we only get paid if we are actually doing work.

If we are sitting around in the shop twiddling our thumbs, we don't get paid.

15. Likes buttwheat liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bmathews View Post
    My scenario is residential. I'm not familiar with commercial as I don't focus on it and do very little. I'm that fat cat CEO the other guy speaks of. I have a guy that works for me and I'm paying him and he is nowhere near producing what I'm paying him, I just want him to stick around and feed his family. So when uninformed people make assumptions and guesses I try to educate them a little about a situation. I am also not naïve enough that I understand that there are owners/CEOs that do take advantage of their employees, maybe he is a victim of that, but it is a free country and you can look for another job. I think the vast majority of owners are good people and really try to take care of their employees as best they can within their means. I try and not cast a broad net about people, but am guilty of it on occasion, the best thing to do is realize that.
    LOL, don't know why you quoted me. I basically agreed with you. And my guesses were right, you were talking residential with a billable percebtage of 50-60%. My reference to an employee that probably didn't understand the cost of business wasn't you obviously. It sounds like you are making an investment in that employee and expect to make a profit from him in the long term. Good for you and him!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike19 View Post

If I wasn't getting paid, I'd be home twiddling something else.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

18. Likes davidj001 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    It's my understanding that most shops, at least the commercial ones, run slim to moderate margins on labor and make it up with insane margin on parts. I know at the last shop I was at, it cost over $90 an hour just to have a guy on the street.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike19 View Post

Are you on 100% commission? I have heard of companies trying to pay a lower wage on travel time etc. Hard to see that taking hold.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    Are you on 100% commission? I have heard of companies trying to pay a lower wage on travel time etc. Hard to see that taking hold.
    No commission, just hourly wage. We only get paid if we are billable to a customer ie: driving to the job, doing work, driving to supply house to get parts, etc...

If we are working, traveling, etc.... we get paid.

It's just if an employee is screwing around or sitting at the shop bs'ing with other techs and not doing anything, they don't get paid.

22. Likes buttwheat liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    It's my understanding that most shops, at least the commercial ones, run slim to moderate margins on labor and make it up with insane margin on parts. I know at the last shop I was at, it cost over $90 an hour just to have a guy on the street.
    That formula is harder and harder today because it seems like every building manager has a Grainger book.

Post Likes
    Grainger prices are no bargain .

Post Likes
    Chicago i started 2011 at $18 know at $30

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in