Refrigerant lineset copper fittings

Is there realy any difference between plumbing and refrigerant copper elbows,couplings etc?I know that plumbing tube is sized by its inside diameter and acr tube by its outside diameter and a 3/4 plumbing elbow will fit on 7/8 acr tube.

Amount of restriction ells have.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

refer els are longer radius and thicker walled. water fittings are short radius causing more friction loss than refer fittings. water pipe is generaly sweated with 50/50 compound and refer line is brazed with a nitrogen shield at temps above 1500 deg. with 60/40 sil phos or 70/30 sil phos. refer brazing should be done bey a qualified technician only.

Quote Originally Posted by referrob View Post
    refer els are longer radius and thicker walled. water fittings are short radius causing more friction loss than refer fittings. water pipe is generaly sweated with 50/50 compound and refer line is brazed with a nitrogen shield at temps above 1500 deg. with 60/40 sil phos or 70/30 sil phos. refer brazing should be done bey a qualified technician only.
    ditto.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

type L long radius elbows are desired but short ones are used as well, you can braze or solder any copper you want but I probably wouldn't try brazing type N copper

Quote Originally Posted by air2spare View Post
    type L long radius elbows are desired but short ones are used as well, you can braze or solder any copper you want but I probably wouldn't try brazing type N copper
    I don't like the short ells. too much restriction. I use the short ones on drain lines. I prefer to bend copper if I can. Less brazing.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Quote Originally Posted by iraqveteran View Post
    I don't like the short ells. too much restriction. I use the short ones on drain lines. I prefer to bend copper if I can. Less brazing.
    Absolutely....investing in a good bender can save alot of time and headaches on a job....I hate using fittings....I try to only have for joints...2 inside and 2 outside!
    I need a new signature.....

Quote Originally Posted by air2spare View Post
    I probably wouldn't try brazing type N copper
    I probably wouldn't try brazing type O copper either
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    I probably wouldn't try brazing type O copper either

I want to watch you bend a truck load of type K copper