Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    74

    Confused Fire/Smoke Damper control

    I'm still not clear as to who is typically responsible for the provision and control of fire/smoke dampers. It may be engineer dependent, but I'm lead to believe that fire/smoke dampers & actuators are provided by the ATC contractor and controlled by the Fire Alarm Company. I'm assuming that they would always remain open 24/7 unless closed by the Fire Alarm Company via Division 16 Electrical 120V wiring.

    I'm working on a controls job for a University project and the fire/smoke dampers are shown on the mechanical drawings. The job consists of VAV RTU's serving multiple floors. Also under Mechanical General Notes, it states for all fire dampers, smoke dampers and fire/smoke dampers to be provided as required to maintain wall & floor ratings. The following sentence states to provide fire/smoke dampers with duct mounted smoke detectors at all shaft penetrations. I'm confused about this since there's an addressable system where the Fire Alarm Company would be furnishing the smoke detectors.

    If anyone could please lend me your expertise, it would be appreciated !

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    136
    I would agree that the supply and installation of said dampers is the responsibility of the mechanical contractor. it’s the same with any damper is it not? At least where I am the controls and alarm contractors do not do any mechanical or electrical for that matter over 50vac.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by aztra View Post
    I would agree that the supply and installation of said dampers is the responsibility of the mechanical contractor. it’s the same with any damper is it not? At least where I am the controls and alarm contractors do not do any mechanical or electrical for that matter over 50vac.
    Partially true. We own 120V power to DDC panels and VAV's (120-24V) from time to time. I believe you can also order fire/smoke dampers with 24V control. Again, I believe the controls contractor would always control smoke dampers associated with mechanical equipment but not fire/smoke dampers, especially those used at penetrations.

    I appreciate the input. Anyone else care to comment?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    2,868
    Here we are always required to provide and install the fire/smoke dampers, the electricians run the wire and wire them, and they are not tied into the fire alarm system or control system. Smoke detectors are sometimes furnished by us and other times by the electrical contractor.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    Here we are always required to provide and install the fire/smoke dampers, the electricians run the wire and wire them, and they are not tied into the fire alarm system or control system. Smoke detectors are sometimes furnished by us and other times by the electrical contractor.
    I take it you're a mechanical contractor since you mentioned you install them. How are the fire/smoke dampers controlled then if not interlocked to the Fire System?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    2,144
    Typically where I am the electrician or alarm contractor provides and installs the duct smoke detectors unless the spec calls for factory install in the unit. The electrician will wire dampers to the fire panel for shutdown as this is usually 120v. Duct detectors may be wired by electrician or alarm tech to the fire control panel. Alarm tech provides wiring to the RTU for shutdown.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by dapper View Post
    Typically where I am the electrician or alarm contractor provides and installs the duct smoke detectors unless the spec calls for factory install in the unit. The electrician will wire dampers to the fire panel for shutdown as this is usually 120v. Duct detectors may be wired by electrician or alarm tech to the fire control panel. Alarm tech provides wiring to the RTU for shutdown.

    Thanks. I know about the smoke detectors and you are correct in your statement (spec dependent). As far as the fire/smoke dampers and just as you said, I thought they were wired by the Electrician/Fire Alarm Tech.

    For smoke detector unit shutdown though (even when supplied by the Electrician/Fire Alarm System), I'm used to the ATC contractor providing the wiring for shotdown. Others would install, power and wire to Fire Alarm Panel (if an addressable system). Are smoke detectors typically provided with 2-contacts.....one for unit hardwire shutdown and one for DDC input?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    2,868
    Quote Originally Posted by NightrainATC View Post
    I take it you're a mechanical contractor since you mentioned you install them. How are the fire/smoke dampers controlled then if not interlocked to the Fire System?
    They are not controlled here. If its hot they close.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event