A/C unit as walk-in cooler???

Has anyone heard of this company and if so, what are your thoughts???

http://www.storeitcold.com/

almost sounds to good to be true!!!

They have a good pitch, but it seems like a bunch of BS to me.

Rule #1, if it sounds too good to be true it is

That's my rule at least. It looks like it's just an upgrade thermostat and control unit for a standard window unit. It might work but when I see "new patent pending technology" and "greatest thing since sliced bread" I always start to shy away. Doing a little digging I could only find one person saying they had used it to keep a room at 45-50 (http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...252204654.html). The guys in the Refrigeration and Ice Making forum might have more information.

It might work, but it isn't designed to work that way, an a/c service compressor has less displacement than a high temp ref service compressor, so to achieve the desired temperature the a/c compressor would have to run longer, and the evap coil will almost certainly freeze up, then you would beat the piss out of the compressor

Will it be able to get down below 40°? Maybe...Will it be able to hold 40° and maintain it consistantly? Across a broad range of outside air temps and humidity? With heavy in and out traffic? I wouldn't count on it.

Looks like they use a little resistence heater to "fool" the PTACs t-stat into thinking the space temp is warmer to keep the compressor running. The defrost must be air over off cycle.

It sounds way to good to be true...
    Leadership...the ability to move forward even when you've burned your foot.

I would think they would need to change the type of refrigerant, metering divice, and maybe the compressor. Than add a condenser fan cycling switch. Maybe a freeze stat with a defrost heater.

Ya so basicly change the whole thing!

I could see it happening

I think it will work fine -

They trick the window box's thermostat into running the compressor constantly. Then they monitor the evaporator temp to know when to shut off the compressor for a forced off-cycle-defrost. They use a time delay on for the compressor. Done.

Of course with the poor fin spacing and rapid frosting they are forced to cycle the devil out of the compressor - but why should they care?
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    They trick the window box's thermostat into running the compressor constantly. Then they monitor the evaporator temp to know when to shut off the compressor for a forced off-cycle-defrost. They use a time delay on for the compressor. Done.

Of course with the poor fin spacing and rapid frosting they are forced to cycle the devil out of the compressor - but why should they care?
    Wouldn’t this take forever! Most contain R-22 right? If this air conditioner worked correctly, air going threw the evap would be so cold the refrigerant would not evaporate causing a flood-back to the compressor.
    So it would not live long.
    Am i right when saying this or is my brain over thinking again?

Wow what a scam and they aim at cheap DIY suckers who don't want a real walk in cooler refer unit!

There is no way a window shaker a/c unit designed to only cool down to 72 degrees with a 20 degree split will ever work. If it could get a "walk in" down to 40 degrees it would be slugging the comp and freezing constantly!

Walk in refer stuff has HUGE evap coils in compare and only need a few degrees temp drop across them. And a txv is a must and a odm low ambient control.

Another POS gimmick.

Maybe we can invite it's creator like we did with the cool-n-save condenser mister LOL!!!
    True Heavy Metal Geek

Somebody else asked about this within the past 6 months and we talked about it alot. Seems the control they offer heats up the existing window A/C tstat to keep it running till it dies, if it's the same type of system.

Some research of the past might bring up some more info but I think it's just a waste of time anyway.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

You're over-thinking it Greg -

It won't take forever. What they are doing is using maybe four times the nominal capacity units.

Then the reduced suction presure reduces the compressor's pumping capacity by 40-50%, and plus they cycle the compressor off half the time for the forced-defrost. <g>

I doubt the compressor will live long - due to all the cycling, but that's not the gadget maker's problem. <g>

On the other hand; I have seen some equipment whipped mercilessly and still last for years and years. <g>

PHM
    ---------

QUOTE - Wouldn’t this take forever! Most contain R-22 right? If this air conditioner worked correctly, air going threw the evap would be so cold the refrigerant would not evaporate causing a flood-back to the compressor. So it would not live long. Am i right when saying this or is my brain over thinking again? -QUOTE-
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.