Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    1,105

    My ladder makes me itch!

    I have a 6 or so year old, fiberglass, 8 foot step ladder that lives on the top of my van. The sun has taken it's toll on it over the years, and it is almost unbearable to even touch the thing. I don't use this ladder much and it is in good shape otherwise. I hate to spring for a new one, when I use this ladder less than once a month. I am wondering if any of you have found some kind of clear coat or something to paint the fiberglass to seal it again or to protect a new one?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    TIP-O-TX
    Posts
    275
    Google "blooming fiberglass ladders", The word blooming is used as the sloughing of fiberglass off your ladder. I got in my bunny suit/dustmask outdoors and used a fine steelwool to sand and then applied a high quality clear lacquer or colored lacquer of your choice.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,986
    Throw it out and get a new one. The things seen its time. JMHO
    Your poor planning does not constitute an emergency on my part!!!!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    1,105
    Quote Originally Posted by nick muniz View Post
    Google "blooming fiberglass ladders", The word blooming is used as the sloughing of fiberglass off your ladder. I got in my bunny suit/dustmask outdoors and used a fine steelwool to sand and then applied a high quality clear lacquer or colored lacquer of your choice.
    I googled that, and your post came up! A werner book also came up with lots of good info about this, (and eveything you ever wanted to know about ladders) and how to fix it. Sounds like what you did. Thanks.

    wuenschsales.com/collateral/flyers/werner/werner-FiberglassLadderTechnicalManual.pdf
    What the.....Why can't I get this link to work?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    474
    Im not sure but the UV degradation may reduce the load rating.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    18951
    Posts
    1,593
    I'm allergic to fiberglass form working in a fiberglass shop. If you sand the ladder, make sure you immediately take the cloths off and put them in the washer. Then immediately take a shower using the coldest water you can stand. Then turn the shower as hot as you can stand (so your pours open up) and wash again. After you get out, lightly dry off and then air dry completely. Don't scratch no matter how bad it itches. Then apply Acid Mantle Cream. http://www.productwiki.com/acid-mantle-cream/
    .
    "Press on. Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education alone will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."
    .

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Houston, TX, USA
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by bobb25 View Post
    I'm allergic to fiberglass form working in a fiberglass shop. If you sand the ladder, make sure you immediately take the cloths off and put them in the washer. Then immediately take a shower using the coldest water you can stand. Then turn the shower as hot as you can stand (so your pours open up) and wash again. After you get out, lightly dry off and then air dry completely. Don't scratch no matter how bad it itches. Then apply Acid Mantle Cream. http://www.productwiki.com/acid-mantle-cream/
    i would just replace ladder and avoid the extra itch

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    S.E. Pa
    Posts
    6,137

    Exclamation

    Fiberglass ladders work great...............................right up to the moment they fail.

    You want to take a known ladder that is worn and aged from the sun and UV, remove more material thus weakening it further then use it? Think about those ladder duty rating types such as I, IA, etc.---they just went out the window.


    Let's do the math: replacement ladder cost ~$100-150.00; EMS transport to ER, X-rays, radiologist, maybe orthopedic surgeon...... then how much time out of work????
    Replace it, please.
    Hearthman

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Yuma, Arizona
    Posts
    252
    Batavia.com

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Yuma, Arizona
    Posts
    252
    My bad about prior website I listed. Hopefully this one works...

    http://www.laddermatters.com/

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    South West Ohio
    Posts
    397
    if its still in good shape they can be resealed.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    Posts
    3,863
    Actually we have over 30 service trucks and most people keep their ladders on top of their trucks and we take care of our stuff so we are having an issue.

    Our safety guy looked into it for us and OSHA does not allow you to repaint you ladders any color in case of cracks, etc. but you are allowed to use Krylon Clear Coat or another Clear Coat along those lines. When I recoated my 6' ladder I did not try to sand it or anything just left it as is and it took 2 cans to get a thick enough coat to my liking to cover the fiberglass sticking out
    Quote Originally Posted by MatrixTransform View Post
    very soon it is you that will be pwned

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    1,105
    Quote Originally Posted by hearthman View Post
    Fiberglass ladders work great...............................right up to the moment they fail.

    You want to take a known ladder that is worn and aged from the sun and UV, remove more material thus weakening it further then use it? Think about those ladder duty rating types such as I, IA, etc.---they just went out the window.


    Let's do the math: replacement ladder cost ~$100-150.00; EMS transport to ER, X-rays, radiologist, maybe orthopedic surgeon...... then how much time out of work????
    Replace it, please.
    Hearthman
    Well, the link that I attempted to post, is straight from Werner. I would think if there were a serious safety issue with recoating a ladder, a company such as Werner would not recommend it. While I agree it is not smart to use an old, unsafe ladder, I am talking about a ladder that is in good shape, with the coating worn off, not something that is deteriorated to the point of being unsafe. Oh, and by the way, I just spent $375 on an extension ladder. Probably about the cost of X-rays.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event