Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carrier Infinity control lowest humidity setting 46%

Post Likes

Carrier Infinity control lowest humidity setting 46%

Well, I just had the complete Infinity system installed, AC, Furnace, and Control. The unit is communicating and reading correct outdoor temp. I have set the basic Himidity setting to one bar/one box on the left. In advanced, the lowest it will let me set it is to 46% which is also all the way to the left. The actual humidity reading is off, so it would be nice to use the setup option of off-set to correct this. But because of the off-set error on the high side, I can't even use it to get much below the reported target of 46%.

So my question is why is the lowest target setting possible only 46%? I bought this system so I could at least try to get the condo down to 35% humidity, but this won't even let me set it that low. Am I missing something in the setup or configuration?

Please help as this is very important to me and the reason I spent thousands extra...

Thanks,

Keith

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSoCalCondo View Post
    Well, I just had the complete Infinity system installed, AC, Furnace, and Control. The unit is communicating and reading correct outdoor temp. I have set the basic Himidity setting to one bar/one box on the left. In advanced, the lowest it will let me set it is to 46% which is also all the way to the left. The actual humidity reading is off, so it would be nice to use the setup option of off-set to correct this. But because of the off-set error on the high side, I can't even use it to get much below the reported target of 46%.

So my question is why is the lowest target setting possible only 46%? I bought this system so I could at least try to get the condo down to 35% humidity, but this won't even let me set it that low. Am I missing something in the setup or configuration?

Please help as this is very important to me and the reason I spent thousands extra...

Thanks,

Keith

are you trying to grow dust mites?

35% is too low!

Post Likes
    45-50% good range

Post Likes
    My Condo is at 50% now but in various places I get mold and mildew. I would be happy if I actually got the house down to 40%. I can ramp the humidity up once I get rid of the problem and I find the point where it doesn't return.

But that is not the point. I can't even set it for 45%?!? So far I can only set it for 46% and because of the my other three humidity sensors say the carrier reading is wrong, I can't even hit 46%. So before Carrier Infinity 50%, after Carrier Infinity 50%. I feel I wasted my money. Although I am happy for the quieter fan, but...

Anyway, can it not be set below 46%?

Post Likes
    One of the Infinity guru's will come along soon.
    Which Infinity system did you get, is it the 2 stage.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Airmechanical View Post
    are you trying to grow dust mites? 35% is too low!
    High humidity is needed by dust mites. Below 50% really inhibits them. The health problems associated with very low humidity are due to over-drying of respiratory epithelium.

In order to keep some parts of the home below 50% it seems like the OP ought to be able to make the set point below 46%. In order to “cure” the existing mold problem OldSo ought to keep it pretty low for a few weeks.

It is not clear to me if the control can not be set below 46%, which would be stupid, or the system can not achieve below 46% which would be understandable depending on the temperatures and heat gain of the condo.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sneezer View Post
    High humidity is needed by dust mites. Below 50% really inhibits them. The health problems associated with very low humidity are due to over-drying of respiratory epithelium.

In order to keep some parts of the home below 50% it seems like the OP ought to be able to make the set point below 46%. In order to “cure” the existing mold problem OldSo ought to keep it pretty low for a few weeks.

It is not clear to me if the control can not be set below 46%, which would be stupid, or the system can not achieve below 46% which would be understandable depending on the temperatures and heat gain of the condo.
    GO PRO

Well said..the control will run the a/c at lower stage and fan speed to remove more humidity but it wont allow the system to cool past 70,, in the summer it is usually difficult to reach below 50% humidity in my area, and the tightness of your house and ducts must be addressed..you can have a carrier rep come to your home and inspect your equipment...dont worry, be happy you have one of the most advanced systems on market, make sure all other possibilities are checked out because ive seen this system in action and have several happy customers.

and it doesnt go below 46% because thats extreme for summertime
    Last edited by acmanhoney; 05-21-2008 at 07:03 PM.

Post Likes
    HVAC systems are not engineered for the dehumidification that you desire. Thus, the Infinity UI does not allow 'overcooling' to dehumidify below 46%.

Hopefully, you weren't sold this system with a promise of 35% RH.

Unless you add a separate dehumidifier, it ain't gonna happen.

You need to address the envelope leak issues in your home and duct system.

Perhaps a stand alone dehumidifier to dry the home after the home and duct system are sealed properly.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Post Likes

Quote Originally Posted by sneezer View Post
    High humidity is needed by dust mites. Below 50% really inhibits them.

wrong!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jrbenny View Post
    HVAC systems are not engineered for the dehumidification that you desire. Thus, the Infinity UI does not allow 'overcooling' to dehumidify below 46%.

Hopefully, you weren't sold this system with a promise of 35% RH.

Unless you add a separate dehumidifier, it ain't gonna happen.

You need to address the envelope leak issues in your home and duct system.

Perhaps a stand alone dehumidifier to dry the home after the home and duct system are sealed properly.
    JR Benny is right, "if" you have your control mode set to cool to dehumidify. This is where the dehumidification set point comes into play and does not allow ovecooling by more then 3 degrees while attempting to satisfy a dehumidify demand. If you use the "normal dehumidification operation" this will allow a lower cooling set point and you should be able to achieve a lower % dehumidification. I'm not stating that you can reasonably reach 35 % set point, though. But it's worth a try.

thorton

Post Likes
    OK, I understand the system won't cool too much to reach the desired dehumidification. In fact the manual as much as states that when the talk about the two modes of dehumidification. The normal(off), and the humidification mode (on) where it will go up to five degrees past the set point to try to reach the target humidity level.

If I set it to a low number and it doesn't make it, then I will say at least I tried the best. I mean they do sell this system as being able to control humidity. I forget the marketing term.

I understand there is only so much the system can do. And obviously if I set it to 15%, it won't be able to do without a dedicated dehumidifier. The question and the point is that I can't even set it to 45%. Is even 45% too low to be able to set it to?

So to answer the questions, it is a two stage two ton Infinity condenser, matched to a 80% Infinity Furnace, with Infinity control. The system was just installed brand spanking new. I tried the Dehumidify setting to On, which allows it to go up to five degrees past the set point, and the Off setting, which is like a normal setting. In both cases I can only set it to a target of 46%. As far as I know there are three places that control the setting. In basic there is the bar graph, no numbers shown, in Advanced there is a bar graph that shows numbers That go from 46% in steps of 2% to I think the high of 54%. And then in the initial system install mode there is a Off-set of plus or minus 10%. But I believe this is meant to calibrate the humidity reading to a correct or differential reading. Because the reading is off, I am able to use this but only to gain a few more lower humidity percentages. But this setting doesn't change the low set point of 46%. Does that all make sense?

What doesn't make sense is that Carrier would say the lowest a home owner can or should set the Humidity level to is 46%. I mean why not 45%? I feel I have been very thorough, but I must be missing something???

Thanks for the help.

Post Likes
    the unit helps control humidity but its still an a/c, you could have a leaky pipe.

when you set it at 46% does the unit cool past your set point and how much?

if you wanted it below 46 it would not cycle off, so if you wanna try and get it below 40% your house will be very cold, its designed for cooling the humidity stuff are features.

Post Likes

Talking humidity setting

I have a Nordyne IQ Drive which has a humidity setting down to 30%. I keep it set at 40% and measure the RH at 43 to 44%. This keeps my home very cool, so I have not tried to set it any lower. It goes in 5 deg steps so I could set it at 35 or 30%, but don't know if it would drop any lower without dropping the temp to an uncomfortable degree. I live in SE Florida with very high humidity levels, so 30% may not be atainable. ibis

Post Likes
    You have a variable drive compressor. Different beast.

Post Likes

you can turn down humidity

Just have to go into advanced options and put in manual settings instead of auto tracking out door settings. When you have it in auto setting you can only adjust range which is a small margin, that is where you see bars. You can actually set as low as you want.
    Do it right the first time.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 21degrees View Post
    Just have to go into advanced options and put in manual settings instead of auto tracking out door settings. When you have it in auto setting you can only adjust range which is a small margin, that is where you see bars. You can actually set as low as you want.
    Auto Tracking with ODT is for heating humidification.

Post Likes
    Just say no to droop. A dehumidifier does not sweaty ducts make.

Post Likes
    I noticed the same issue with my Infinity system which has a variable speed motor. What ever you try, it cannot be set lower than 46% in any configuration including non auto. I recently purchased a stand alone dehumidifer to help control humidity in my basement in the early summer months before the cooling season starts in earnest.

Post Likes
    PRODUCT DATA INFORMATION
    Compatible Communicating Products
    Air Conditioning units -- 24AN1, 24ANA7, 24APA5, 24APA3
    Heat Pumps -- 25HNA6, 25HNA9, 25HPA3, 25HPA4,
    25HPA5
    Gas Furnace -- 58MVB, 58MVC, 58CVA, 58UVB
    Fan Coils -- FE
    Small Packaged Products -- 50XL/XT, 50DU/DT, 50CE/CR,
    48XL/XT, 48DU/DT, 48CE
    Physical Characteristics
    Dimensions: See drawing
    Appearance: Plastic, white color, textured
    Electrical Characteristics/Communication
    Input Volts/Amps 24VAC
    Each device in the Infinity System has a four--pin connector
    labeled ABCD. It is recommended that the following color
    code be used when wiring each device:
    A — Green = Data A
    B — Yellow = Data B
    C — White = 24VAC (Com)
    D — Red = 24VAC (Hot)
    Environmental Requirements:
    Operating Temperature/Relative Humidity:
    User interface and all sensors: 32_F to 104_F / 0_C to 40_C,
    95% rh non--condensing
    Storage Temperature/Relative Humidity:
    User interface: -- 40_F to 134_F / --40_C to 56.7_C, 95% rh
    non--condensing
    Feature Specifications:
    Temperature set point range: 40_F to 90_F / 4.4_C to 32.2_C
    Separate heat and cool setpoints
    Programming days: 7 day
    Programming periods:
    2--Day, Sleep
    4--Wake, Day, Eve, Sleep
    Non--Programmable
    Auto changeover (may be disabled)
    Programmable fan (installer selectable)
    Humidity Sensor Offsets
    Auto Changeover Timer (installer adjustable)
    Smart Recovery (in heating and cooling)
    Hold function
    Copy functions: Copy period, day and zone
    Permanent memory
    Humidity display and control
    Temperature sensor offsets (indoor and outdoor)
    TrueSenset Dirty Filter Detection

As I look threw the product data I dont see any information, ill keep an eye open to see if i can find any info.

Post Likes
    When you take this system below 46% rh and 70F, you are entering low ambient operations.

Your system is not designed to operate in this manner.

Buy a dehumidifier. Seal your home.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in