Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    How about pulling a 5 ton unit from duct work that if you used .1 FR was sized for 6.5 tons. And Installing a 3 ton VS system.

Its quiet and all registers still have good throw. CFM was at 1275 when measured.
    Balancing dampers in all supplies.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I will get my installer to show me the cfm at each register with his hood and have him balance the ducts before he installs the new txv valve he ordered.

Not that it would make a big difference, I failed to mention the hard pipe diameters I posted are actually outside diameters of the pipe.

Thanks again, I have been been watching this site since my unit was installed and the posters to my question are the ones I have come to trust !

Mr. Bill, If my installer can't get my flow issues fixed. I might need you !

The dimensions being inside or out, does make a big difference. The pipe could be 2" smaller on the inside.

Have you noticed any difference with the 1" filters removed.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by 2elaines View Post
    Mr. Bill, If my installer can't get my flow issues fixed. I might need you !

Probably going to need someone with a flow hood for your job, I only own a CFM/Velocity
    meter, as big as those ducts are I don't know if my Velocity meter would pick anything up,
    and my CFM's starts at 25 cfm's I wonder if the 16 " is putting out 25 CFM's.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

beenthere, did not see any difference with the 1" filters removed.

My house cools ok , just not as evenly as I would like for the money I spent and compared to to 30 yr old BDP system that was replaced. Most of my register have a lot of flow (velocity)

I just took the following temperatures @ 85* outside temp.
    Thermostat set @ 74*
    Temp AT coil (I used the holes the installer punched in plenum)
    68* in - 51* out , temp @ wall return below unit is 64* , temp @ ceiling return in problem room at other end of house is 72*.

I am confused at this point and would like guidance on how to proceed with my installer. Should I let him replace the TXV per A/S recomendation or should I insist on balancing of supply air before considering any mechanical work.

mr. bill, you know how to make a fella feel good, but I always liked a straight shooter !!

Although I think you have more air balance trouble then TXV problem, if the labor is under warranty. Let him change it out.
    Then if the coil still doesn't get cold at the top. Have him balance the system.
    it may be that too much air is going through the coil and thats why its not the same temp on teh top as it is on the bottom.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Although I think you have more air balance trouble then TXV problem, if the labor is under warranty. Let him change it out.
    Then if the coil still doesn't get cold at the top. Have him balance the system.
    it may be that too much air is going through the coil and thats why its not the same temp on teh top as it is on the bottom.
    I have the 10 year parts & labor warranty with a 1 year comfort satisfaction garantee or my money back. I will follow your suggestion. Was wondering if too much air through coil would be because of balancing or fan speed set too high.

the txv could very well be bad have been finding some faulty on start up on trane coils same coil as am std but it will not fix airflow problem

A combination of duct size and fan speed setting.
    To know if the fan speed is too high, total CFM has to be measured.
    Contractor locator map

One last question and I will leave ya'll alone

One last question and I will leave ya'll alone. I do appreciate all the input from everyone.
    I will let my installer proceed with the txv change out and have him check all my registers and intakes with his hood and post the numbers and his remedy next week. Again many thanks to all !!

What is the proper procedure to change the TXV ? I assume the system must be opened.

Pump refrigerant back to condense and close service valves, remove old valve put new one in. Remove old filter frier install new one. Check for leaks. Pull Vacuum on system.
    Open service valves and run system.
    Contractor locator map

The installer needs to be extremely careful that he does not overheat the valve. Wrapping it with pieces of wet rag work very well. I always have a cup of water and rags and immediately after brazing pour a little water on the rags to help disipate the heat from the valve. Make sure the bulb is well insulated.

Will be looking for those airflow numbers next week.

Happy memorial day. We need to show our support for our troops over in Iraq. My 20 year old son is one of them.

Happy memorial day. We need to show our support for our troops over in Iraq. My 20 year old son is one of them.[/QUOTE]

Accutrol, My wife does volunteer work for Houston Marine Moms.
    If you would like to send me your sons address, I will have my wife put him on the mailing list for care packages. They send the boys & girls all kind of good stuff. They just got through sending a bunch of girl scout cookies and are about to send some more out.

My email is listed on my profile, so is the Houston Marine Moms website

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast