Thread: Trane Xe 900

Trane Xe 900

This Is My First Post So Bear Withe Me. I Have A Trane Xe 900 Heat Pump. Model # Twd724b100a2. What I Need To Know Is What Seer It Is And Also What Ton. I Think It Is A 3 Ton 10 Seer But Not Sure. I Am Trying To Just Replace The Outside Unit. I Have Found Several 10 Seer Heat Pump In The 3.5 Ton And Need To Know If They Will Work With My Air Handler. If It Is 3 Ton Do I Have To Replace With 3 Ton. Thanks For Your Help. Also If It Is A 9 Seer Will A 10 Seer Be Ok.this Unit Was Installed In 1992. I Have Two Units On My House I Just Replaced The Other One A 5 Ton With A New Bryant Heat Pump 5ton Complete System. Thanks

Your current unit is a 9 SEER 2 ton. The indoor unit will not work properly with today's equipment. Given the age, you should replace in & out with the right size.

trane xe 900

Thanks for the reply. Are you sure it is a 2 ton my a/c guy thinks it is a 3 ton thanks

Trane Xe 900

This is a 9 SEER 2 ton unit. You can get a 10 SEER unit to work with the indoor coil/system, it just won't be as efficient as advertised. I wouldn't go with a higher efficient model with this indoor set-up though (Future compressor issues) but if you can find a 10 SEER, go with it. - JC

You need a new A/C guy if he really thinks it's a 3 ton unit. 9 SEER 2 Ton. Maybe the inside evap. coil is oversized?

If you replace only the outside unit, you'll be missing out on the waranty and efficiency of a complete system. At the age it is, you will see a dramatic improvement in effeciency replacing the entire system at once. Properly matched components are important. If $$ are tight then go with a lower end system and if you are planning on staying in the house for some time go with a properly sized system with variable speed blower.

trane xe 900

Thanks for the info. I just apent 5000 on a new unit two days ago. It is a five ton bryant works like a charm. I am tring to do the other one cheaper but probably will go with a new unit. Last question if I can find a 10 seer outside unit does it have to be 2 ton or can it be higher ton. thanks

Trane Xe 900

Depends on the indoor coil and blower size. If you have a 2.5 or 3 ton Coil with a 1000 or 1200 CFM blower you can go up. If neither exists and its a 800 CFM blower, forget it. You'll be asking for trouble down the road. Get the model of the Furnace and coil, or the air handler and you can figure out what you have inside. - JC

Xe 900

Crawled Up In Attic My Air Handler Is A American Standard Trane Model#twho24b140a0 Please Tell Me What Ton Coil Size And Cfm Thanks

It's a 2 ton air handler with 800 cfm blower.