installing 2 units with different refrigerant types?

I am building a 2 story (2100 down, 1100 up) home and my contractor gave me a quote from a local HVAC shop for a Trane XL19i 4 ton furnace downstairs and an XL16i 2 ton heat pump for upstairs. After doing a little research on the two units (and asking people who actually knew something about HVAC), several people questioned putting two units with different refrigerant types in my bid. The XL19i using R-22 and the XL16i using R410A. Does anyone out there have some opinions on this?

Doesn't hurt anything though many will say you should stay all R410a. Personally I'm not a real 16i fan though if you are in a primarily cooling climate, the drawbacks are less for you. It isn't the greatest at heating.

4 ton down for 2100 sq ft new construction with 1/2 covered by upstairs? Seems a bit big. Lots of glass? Light on insulation? Very hot climate? Might ask the dealer about the sizing. If 2 tons does the upstairs, makes me wonder about downstairs.

I've been seeing a lot of systems that seem to be way over kill on new construction, maybe if the housing industry got it's chit together and quit running R6 duct work in the attic it would help. You could down size the system if the duct work is run in condition space vs unconditioned space. Just enclosing the space above the hallways from attic can help as you can increase the insulation levels over the duct work.
    Locating the condenser unit on the north side of the house will gain you 10% as the summer sun will not be shining right on it. Using foil faced plywood on the roof. All of these items will help to lower the size of the units you need, and not only save you money on initial cost, but operation costs too. Of course you will spend all that saving putting in these changes too

I'd question the 6 tons for 3200 sq ft new constrution. Or the way my builder was building my new house.

As far as different refrigerants, no problem.

What area are you in.
    Does the first floor have lots of glass. Are they trying to size for the heat load.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I'd say slightly more windows that "normal". Also, we're down south (Arkansas) so there is most definitely 3 or 4 hot months every year. The word I'm getting about the sizing is that in the hottest summer months, if there is company over (10+ other people), a 3 ton unit wouldn't be enough . . .

10 people would add about 1/2 ton to the load.
    How often you plan on having 10+ people over in the peak heat of the day.

They're guessing. They should do a load calc. Even 2 stage units don't dehumidify enough when they are oversized by 1 ton.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?