Interior Storm Windows

Interior Storm Windows

I've gotta an 80 year old home with wood frame, double hung windows. I've been researching interior storm windows since I don't want to butcher the house with ugly vinyl replacement windows and wood framed are too expensive. I've seen magnetic plexglass and other types on the web. Does anyone have expierience with these products?

Interior storm windows will perform as well as exterior storm windows (thermally) be careful to seal them well, as there is a chance if condensation forming between the wood window and the storm window. Regular storm windows have weep holes at the bottom. to rid condensation.

so, get some wood framed storm windows for the exterior!
    such will protect the original windows from the weather, accomodate the condensation, and, be in keeping with the style --
    they are a PIA to hang & take down!! -- but, with air cond, one should only have to remove ever so often to clean between the two -- unlike when we used these in the 1940s [ exchanged for screen windows -- also wood framed]
    exterior storms mainly protect the glazing --
    AND they do stop infiltration thru the window -- provided the frame is caulked on the outside.

my gar windows did not have such, so after 24y, I spent 1 week ON A LADDER removing old glazing, priming the wood, reglazing [ after replacing the broken panes during my removal] then priming, then painting -- excellent 4 dbl hung windows. these windows now have storms!

it is easier to use interior storms on casement windows.
    harvest rainwater,make SHADE,R75/50/30= roof/wall/floor, use HVAC mastic,caulk all wall seams!

Quote Originally Posted by cem-bsee View Post
    so, get some wood framed storm windows for the exterior!
    such will protect the original windows from the weather, accomodate the condensation, and, be in keeping with the style --
    they are a PIA to hang & take down!! -- but, with air cond, one should only have to remove ever so often to clean between the two -- unlike when we used these in the 1940s [ exchanged for screen windows -- also wood framed]
    exterior storms mainly protect the glazing --
    AND they do stop infiltration thru the window -- provided the frame is caulked on the outside.

my gar windows did not have such, so after 24y, I spent 1 week ON A LADDER removing old glazing, priming the wood, reglazing [ after replacing the broken panes during my removal] then priming, then painting -- excellent 4 dbl hung windows. these windows now have storms!

it is easier to use interior storms on casement windows.
    According to the research I've done, interior storm windows with a good seal work better than exterior storms in retaining heat because of a bigger air gap. I have exterior storms but my windows are 4'x8' and like you said, a huge pain to remove in the summer. I do not have AC since I live in the gray northwest and summer days rarely reach 90*

recheck the gap & savings!!!
    the secret to excellent insulation is having LOTS of small air pockets.
    having a big gap between storms & regular windows will allow the air within that space to circulate which allows better heat transfer !!!

my kids live in northern IN, -- Jeanette put hi $$ steel combination storms on 1917 vintage hse -- looks ok to me --

look again at the spacing -- most wood windows are centered within the wall cavity -- I judge that the spacing really would be the same whether inside or out -- UNLESS one uses storms fastened directly to the window sash, but this would not block infiltration, which is a BIG problem | loss.
    harvest rainwater,make SHADE,R75/50/30= roof/wall/floor, use HVAC mastic,caulk all wall seams!

You might want to check out your local lumber yard who carries Kolbe & Kolbe windows, They make a really nice double hung wood window with aluminum cladding on the exterior very nice !!! Then get yourself some good strom & screens for the exterior, after you have them installed caulk along the permitier of your storms and you good to go for along time. I have a 100yr + home and replaced my window with these Kolbe & Kolbe replacment windows and have not had any problems with them to date and it's been 14yrs plus since I installed them as well as the storms. The replacement windows also tilt inward to clean. Plus they install in less them a hr per window and if your handy with a hammer and a few hand tools you can put them in yourself Just something to think about !!