variable speed or not?

Was wondering if the variable speed is worth it. If something happens to the motor how hard is it to get parts? Would you install one in your house? If you have one, do you like it. Thanks

Depends if you think your comfort is worth it. Low humidity areas won't get a big advantage using one.
    Parts are easy to get. In some areas they may not stock them.

Yes I would install a VS blower in my own place.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

topher

i would not purchase a new HVAC system without var speed blower. Yes if you have a failure on the blower motor not covered by warranty, then they are expensive to replace. But I have not seen any objective evidence to indicate they are more problematic vs a conventional blower. Var speed really is becoming the standard for high end, high eff systems.

IMO

Variable speed is great. I keep my thermostat set about 2-3 degrees higher than I did without one. You do need properly sized returns and you can't let your filters get clogged. If you do, you will be replacing the control module, this is what controls the variable speed on the motor.

Quote Originally Posted by ctopher View Post
    Was wondering if the variable speed is worth it. If something happens to the motor how hard is it to get parts? Would you install one in your house? If you have one, do you like it. Thanks
    I would make sure that I got a 10 year parts and labor warranty on a system with a variable speed blower. Big bucks to replace the v-s motor if it should fail out of warranty.

I would put a v/s blower in my house I love the slow startup instead of the sudden on you get with a conv. motor.

Thanks for all the replys.

I have had it in my home for 4 years this fall, and very pleased with how quiet it is on start up, and I run my blower 24/7 in the heating season to just keep the air moving for comfort reason.

My uncle has it and I think they are coming up 10 years on it now, and been pleased with it.

As other pointed out, don't cheap out on it.. Get the 10 years parts and labor warranty on it.

Very nice equipment but a little spendy. I myself would have one. When I sale a VS I always let my customers know once warranty runs out that VS module/motor is very expensive to replace. I do not hide that from my customers. So far no complaints and my customers love them.

the #1 killer of ECM motors is incorrect duct sizing, otherwise they are very reliable and extremely efficient

I regret not putting in a variable speed furnace.

Quote Originally Posted by stevensondrive View Post
    I regret not putting in a variable speed furnace.
    I purposely chose not to install a v-s air handler for my new heat pump. I like a little noise coming from the vents to drown out street noise. I also wanted an inexpensive and easy replacement should the motor fail after the warranty period.

that is ironic. I put the 95% furnace in this winter. I planned to put in a 14 SEER r22 condenser to match it. I have since changed my mind and am putting in a 16 SEER r410a heat pump this weekend. I told the guy at the supply house that it is my first heat pump install and first 410 install. He smiled and said it was his first 16 SEER sale.

With the $135 thermostat it will run as a normal heat pump until it gets to a set outside temp whereas it switches to the gas furnace.

Goodman has a lifetime compressor warranty and our local utility will give me a $1100 rebate for installing this heat pump. it is a no brainer!!