Thread: I LOVE YOU GUYS (and Gals, of course) !

Post Likes

I LOVE YOU GUYS (and Gals, of course) !

First, I wish to give you all my thanks! I Googled into this forum last night and spent several hours going through many great posts – and some very funny ones as well. You all saved me a whole lot of money and gave me the knowledge to ask contractors the right questions.

This all started with the need to replace the air handler on my 15 year old Carrier heat pump system that finally had a debilitating stroke – poorly maintained and annually pumped up on R22 steroids by a local quack while it was suffering some major arterial bleeding with no good doctor to look after it. I shudder to think what my ozone footprint has been over the last four years living in this house! When it failed last week, I was fortunate enough to have a real pro take a look at it. There was nary a trace of Freon left in my old friend. The evap coils were leaking so badly it drained the batteries in his sniffer within 30 seconds. With skill of a surgeon, the tech was able to open the heat pump enclosure without it falling to pieces given all the rust and corrosion my lonely sentinel of cool had acquired. Yet another set of batteries were required for the sniffer outside. My quest had begun and so I started to try to get a little smarter (though I had not yet found you folks!)

Being an engineer by profession, I was getting randy with all the manufacturer’s data tables and graphs. Like so many, I was going fat, dumb and happy down the SEER stream without a paddle. The good tech’s manager listened quietly as I proudly rattled off “two stage scroll”, the higher the SEER the better, variable speed blower, yada yada, yada. He quietly listened to my dribble and when I was through told me he thought I was making a mistake. Sure, if I wanted it, he would sell me a 16 or 20 something SEER unit with bells and whistles that would make the local symphony green with envy. But, I would be wasting my money. I listened to this guy and thought he was a nut. Plus, he sold the dreaded “Good Man” and “Am Ana” lines.

The next day I contacted a “reputable” dealer and their sales person came out and without me saying a word – or him even coming inside the house to look in the attic - said I needed a 20 something SEER unit, high end blower, new this, new that, etc. (I am thinking he is on to something here…some type of telepathic skill at knowing how to instantly perform complex cost/trade off analysis on all the various units and my home’s needs – a new nanotechnology embedded Ouija board perhaps?). (As an aside, the gentleman spent more time telling me about the great pads that they were using than about what I was really spending my money on – should I have seen this as a bit of a clue?) Well, I thought, wow, I knew this guy was good!! Little did I realize that if I listened to him, I would also need to double the diameter of all sewer lines in the house to accommodate the poop he was spewing.

So, just to make sure this human methane plant and I were right, I did some more Googling. I happened to stumble across some interesting articles from some of the CA utility firms (more graphs yippy!). But, they seemed to sort of agree with the good Tech’s nutty manager. Their position was that SEER and EER are not effective metrics for the real world. Say what?!? Then, I found this forum. You said, look at EER in TX, not SEER. I went back to the manufacturer’s charts and graphs. Interesting…in a lot of comparisons, while the SEER numbers went up smartly, there was much less delta in EER. More money for nothing in the armpit of TX?

Well, to make a very long story a tad shorter. I closed the deal today with the company that employees the nut who tries to tell idiot consumers like me that I am wasting my money! No, I did not get a two-stage heat pump (I won’t live long enough to get the payback). Yes, I did go to a 14 SEER unit (mainly because the 13 SEER still used R22). Yes, I did go with the variable speed blower for comfort, not efficiency gains. Yes, I do believe this nut’s Tech’s are well trained and so I stand a much better chance at achieving something closer to stated efficiencies. And thanks to you guys, I saved more than some pocket change not going with the 21 SEER unit with it’s marvelous pad that would have a payback in 2303! Oh yes, I did go with one of those crappy “Am Ana” units – what the hell! You only live once!

THANK YOU!

Footnote – Yes, it’s 3:15am but too hot to sleep tonight! Relief comes tomorrow morning!

Post Likes
    congratulations!!!!!!!!!!

we can be/ are an eccentric little group

just what were you googling to take sooooooo long ro find this establishment?
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes
    You only need to google Twilli's name and it will direct you here.
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by twilli3967 View Post
    You only need to google Twilli's name and it will direct you here.
    I see you're in BNI also

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by SETexan View Post
    First, I wish to give you all my thanks! I Googled into this forum last night and spent several hours going through many great posts – and some very funny ones as well. You all saved me a whole lot of money and gave me the knowledge to ask contractors the right questions.

This all started with the need to replace the air handler on my 15 year old Carrier heat pump system that finally had a debilitating stroke – poorly maintained and annually pumped up on R22 steroids by a local quack while it was suffering some major arterial bleeding with no good doctor to look after it. I shudder to think what my ozone footprint has been over the last four years living in this house! When it failed last week, I was fortunate enough to have a real pro take a look at it. There was nary a trace of Freon left in my old friend. The evap coils were leaking so badly it drained the batteries in his sniffer within 30 seconds. With skill of a surgeon, the tech was able to open the heat pump enclosure without it falling to pieces given all the rust and corrosion my lonely sentinel of cool had acquired. Yet another set of batteries were required for the sniffer outside. My quest had begun and so I started to try to get a little smarter (though I had not yet found you folks!)

Being an engineer by profession, I was getting randy with all the manufacturer’s data tables and graphs. Like so many, I was going fat, dumb and happy down the SEER stream without a paddle. The good tech’s manager listened quietly as I proudly rattled off “two stage scroll”, the higher the SEER the better, variable speed blower, yada yada, yada. He quietly listened to my dribble and when I was through told me he thought I was making a mistake. Sure, if I wanted it, he would sell me a 16 or 20 something SEER unit with bells and whistles that would make the local symphony green with envy. But, I would be wasting my money. I listened to this guy and thought he was a nut. Plus, he sold the dreaded “Good Man” and “Am Ana” lines.

The next day I contacted a “reputable” dealer and their sales person came out and without me saying a word – or him even coming inside the house to look in the attic - said I needed a 20 something SEER unit, high end blower, new this, new that, etc. (I am thinking he is on to something here…some type of telepathic skill at knowing how to instantly perform complex cost/trade off analysis on all the various units and my home’s needs – a new nanotechnology embedded Ouija board perhaps?). (As an aside, the gentleman spent more time telling me about the great pads that they were using than about what I was really spending my money on – should I have seen this as a bit of a clue?) Well, I thought, wow, I knew this guy was good!! Little did I realize that if I listened to him, I would also need to double the diameter of all sewer lines in the house to accommodate the poop he was spewing.

So, just to make sure this human methane plant and I were right, I did some more Googling. I happened to stumble across some interesting articles from some of the CA utility firms (more graphs yippy!). But, they seemed to sort of agree with the good Tech’s nutty manager. Their position was that SEER and EER are not effective metrics for the real world. Say what?!? Then, I found this forum. You said, look at EER in TX, not SEER. I went back to the manufacturer’s charts and graphs. Interesting…in a lot of comparisons, while the SEER numbers went up smartly, there was much less delta in EER. More money for nothing in the armpit of TX?

Well, to make a very long story a tad shorter. I closed the deal today with the company that employees the nut who tries to tell idiot consumers like me that I am wasting my money! No, I did not get a two-stage heat pump (I won’t live long enough to get the payback). Yes, I did go to a 14 SEER unit (mainly because the 13 SEER still used R22). Yes, I did go with the variable speed blower for comfort, not efficiency gains. Yes, I do believe this nut’s Tech’s are well trained and so I stand a much better chance at achieving something closer to stated efficiencies. And thanks to you guys, I saved more than some pocket change not going with the 21 SEER unit with it’s marvelous pad that would have a payback in 2303! Oh yes, I did go with one of those crappy “Am Ana” units – what the hell! You only live once!

THANK YOU!

Footnote – Yes, it’s 3:15am but too hot to sleep tonight! Relief comes tomorrow morning!
    Wow, that was some post. If you haven't already, consider a career as a writer (comedy, perhaps).

Good luck with the new equipment.

AM

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Swampfox View Post
    I see you're in BNI also

Twilli has been in his group for over 8 years. Great organization.
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Post Likes
    SETexan:

That was a great post.

A few words of advice from a fellow Goodman 14 SEER heat pump owner:

- Make sure you get the optional TXV (thermostatic expansion valve) for the indoor coil. It does a better job at regulating refrigerant flow in cooling mode under all operating conditions than the check flow-rater expansion device supplied with the air handler. It's less than $100. All Goodman/Amana systems are ARI-rated for SEER/EER with a TXV, and not the flow-rater.

- The 1" filter rack in the air handler is poorly designed. I literally have to tear out the old filter and surgically install a new filter. Get a separate 4" media filter cabinet to avoid my monthly aggravation.

Best to you.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ampulman View Post
    Wow, that was some post. If you haven't already, consider a career as a writer (comedy, perhaps).

Good luck with the new equipment.

AM
    I had similar thoughts...it was an entertaining read, and well written.

Yet another story bolstering my belief regarding throwing high technology solutions at a low technology problem isn't necessarily the best path. The OP was ready to plunk down big money...any number of HVAC contractors would've been more than eager to take that cash and sell the highest end system in stock. Sounds like the one he went with just wants a satisfied customer vs. short term bottom line fattening. Gee...what a business concept.

To the OP...the "armpit of Texas" possibly meaning the hot, muggy southeast quadrant of the state...you would be well served to not only insist on a clean installation of your new equipment, but to work on your house so it contributes much more to your comfort level than it may now be doing. Insulation, radiant barrier, sealing air leaks, etc. It's time to think of the entire house, along with the HVAC system, as a comfort team. Throwing higher SEER equipment yet ignoring the largest reason why high a/c demand is needed in the first place - a thermally inefficient building envelope - is not a wise strategy, IMO.

Post Likes

Another Happy Goodman Owner

Quote Originally Posted by SETexan View Post

THANK YOU!

From a fellow Texan, I just purchased my second Goodman HVAC. I replaced an older unit that had been poorly installed. I was younger then and didn't have the knowledge imparted from the learned folks on this site. Even though the unit was poorly installed it still performed as best it could and didn't required a lot of costly repairs.

I'm really enjoying the new one. The other day when it was nearly 100 outside it only took 1/2 hour to get the inside temp down from 80 to 75. Now I need to get some duct work done as my home was built by F&J and they did very little quality work throughout the home.

Enjoy the Amana ...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by timby View Post
    From a fellow Texan, I just purchased my second Goodman HVAC. I replaced an older unit that had been poorly installed. I was younger then and didn't have the knowledge imparted from the learned folks on this site. Even though the unit was poorly installed it still performed as best it could and didn't required a lot of costly repairs.

I'm really enjoying the new one. The other day when it was nearly 100 outside it only took 1/2 hour to get the inside temp down from 80 to 75. Now I need to get some duct work done as my home was built by F&J and they did very little quality work throughout the home.

Enjoy the Amana ...
    F&J, Fox and Jacobs, didn't they belly up in the late 70's.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cep a/c View Post
    F&J, Fox and Jacobs, didn't they belly up in the late 70's.
    Yep ....

However, they evolved into Centennial and then re-emerged as F&J. The add read " The same house your Father & Mother had built". Only problems is, I wouldn't want another home built as poorly as this one even if my mom & dad had one....

They used 3/8 sheathing on the roof in a high wind, bad storm area. Just to name a few things.

Post Likes
    Yep ....

However, they evolved into Centennial and then re-emerged as F&J. The add read " The same house your Father & Mother had built". Only problems is, I wouldn't want another home built as poorly as this one even if my mom & dad had one....

They used 3/8 sheathing on the roof in a high wind, bad storm area. Just to name a few things.
    My last house was a Fox & Jacobs Accent model, built 1968. Cheap construction even for that time. Wall studs set 24" on center (to save on material, likely), 3/8" roof decking, 2 x 4 roof trusses and ceiling joists, flakeboard sheathing, pine trim. Mine was a gabled ranch; constantly repairing transition piece between flat underside of eaves and gable ends, interior walls wavy, roof spongy when walked on, even where decking was new or in good shape. Creaked and popped a lot in high winds. I built a shop in the backyard with more stout construction techniques; told my wife if a tornado came I'd be out there under the table saw...shop would probably withstand the blast longer than the house.

One thing F & J did do in that particular model that I liked was drop the ductwork below the ceiling by furring down the hallway ceiling and running duct board to all the rooms. The direct radiant heat gain to the ducts was reduced by there being sheetrock and insulation between the ducting and the attic...that is where that drywall wasn't punched through for piping, electrical, etc.

I didn't know F & J went belly up at one point...just assumed Centex bought them. Maybe Centex was the old Centennial brand? I also remember Centex operating under that name only and fairly recently reviving the Fox & Jacobs name as a marketing angle. Why they thought as a viable marketing angle is beyond me...other than the houses being affordable for many, they are not fondly thought of, IMO. And this...

" The same house your Father & Mother had built".

...is laughable! What F & J are building these days is nothing like what I owned. Still cheap construction, yes, but the design and layout are a lot different. Besides...I wouldn't want the same house my parents had built...I like the one an architect and builder built for someone else years ago that I now own just fine!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by shophound View Post
    My last house was a Fox & Jacobs Accent model, built 1968. Cheap construction even for that time. Wall studs set 24" on center (to save on material, likely), 3/8" roof decking, 2 x 4 roof trusses and ceiling joists, flakeboard sheathing, pine trim. Mine was a gabled ranch; constantly repairing transition piece between flat underside of eaves and gable ends, interior walls wavy, roof spongy when walked on, even where decking was new or in good shape. Creaked and popped a lot in high winds. I built a shop in the backyard with more stout construction techniques; told my wife if a tornado came I'd be out there under the table saw...shop would probably withstand the blast longer than the house.

One thing F & J did do in that particular model that I liked was drop the ductwork below the ceiling by furring down the hallway ceiling and running duct board to all the rooms. The direct radiant heat gain to the ducts was reduced by there being sheetrock and insulation between the ducting and the attic...that is where that drywall wasn't punched through for piping, electrical, etc.

I didn't know F & J went belly up at one point...just assumed Centex bought them. Maybe Centex was the old Centennial brand? I also remember Centex operating under that name only and fairly recently reviving the Fox & Jacobs name as a marketing angle. Why they thought as a viable marketing angle is beyond me...other than the houses being affordable for many, they are not fondly thought of, IMO. And this...

" The same house your Father & Mother had built".

...is laughable! What F & J are building these days is nothing like what I owned. Still cheap construction, yes, but the design and layout are a lot different. Besides...I wouldn't want the same house my parents had built...I like the one an architect and builder built for someone else years ago that I now own just fine!
    What about the operating panel of the sliding glass door installed on the outside. That was a F&J hallmark.

While the fur down was a good idea they didn't manager to get the air to flow through the ducts properly and I'm going to have to have someone come out and run new duct. I have some damage in the ducts and the cost to tear down the Sheetrock and do the repairs, then replace Sheetrock is very cost prohibited.

I could write a novel on the bad building practices of F&J.

Post Likes
    What about the operating panel of the sliding glass door installed on the outside. That was a F&J hallmark.
    I have two sets of sliding glass doors installed this way. They are made by Peachtree out of Georgia. When I called them to inquire about parts, I asked them about this subject, and they told me that these doors stand up to high winds better.

I thought it was funky when I first saw the doors installed that way, but I'm used to them now.

Take care.

Post Likes

While the fur down was a good idea they didn't manager to get the air to flow through the ducts properly and I'm going to have to have someone come out and run new duct. I have some damage in the ducts and the cost to tear down the Sheetrock and do the repairs, then replace Sheetrock is very cost prohibited.

I could write a novel on the bad building practices of F&J.
    Yep. Ours had that unique feature, plus the sucker was 12 feet long!

The aluminum had a gold finish on it. It was adjacent to a kitchen that had a slider window that came all the way down level with the countertop and kitchen sink. Wonderful for passing food across the bar on the outside of that window...lousy for splash marks on the window glass!

Did your kitchen also have the furred down ceiling with almost an acre of frosted plexiglas panels with fluorescent lights above in a cove? Our fixtures had eight foot long tubes in them...always fun trying to get one of those home from the home center...intact.

Our model also had the wooden hopper windows made by Andersen...they were thermally better than the aluminum sliders, but if you ever painted their frames, what fun.

More entries for your novel, maybe?

Post Likes
    Yep. Ours had that unique feature, plus the sucker was 12 feet long!

The aluminum had a gold finish on it. It was adjacent to a kitchen that had a slider window that came all the way down level with the countertop and kitchen sink. Wonderful for passing food across the bar on the outside of that window...lousy for splash marks on the window glass!

Did your kitchen also have the furred down ceiling with almost an acre of frosted plexiglas panels with fluorescent lights above in a cove? Our fixtures had eight foot long tubes in them...always fun trying to get one of those home from the home center...intact.

Our model also had the wooden hopper windows made by Andersen...they were thermally better than the aluminum sliders, but if you ever painted their frames, what fun.

More entries for your novel, maybe?
    Shophound

You must of had the luxury model, while I had the gold 6 foot sliding door (installed backwards) I had the cheap single pane aluminum windows that leaked air and rain. I didn't get the furred down kitchen ceiling but did get the cabinets that they took base molding and put that cheap frosted Eisen (SP?) glass to make the doors. Don't forget the gold shag carpet and flocked wall paper in the bathrooms.

Awwww ... the good ole days ....

Post Likes
    Shophound

You must of had the luxury model, while I had the gold 6 foot sliding door (installed backwards) I had the cheap single pane aluminum windows that leaked air and rain. I didn't get the furred down kitchen ceiling but did get the cabinets that they took base molding and put that cheap frosted Eisen (SP?) glass to make the doors. Don't forget the gold shag carpet and flocked wall paper in the bathrooms.

Awwww ... the good ole days ....
    This was our model:

When my wife bought it (before we met), she had whatever carpeting was in there ripped out, and the hall bath wallpaper was painted over. Master bath wallpaper was hideous...we removed it before putting the house up for sale. The master bath itself was DINKY! I served in the Navy...the smallest head on the ship was larger than that MASTER bathroom! I could barely turn around in there.

Oh yeah, those cabinet doors...molding with amber plastic panels that had the concentric circles embossed in the plastic...lovely. And the stamped metal tiles for a splashboard on the walls over the flecked or boomerang Formica countertops. I can see Dwell Magazine now just raving over Fox & Jacobs design features...............not!
    The living area was originally sunken but my wife had it filled in when she recarpeted the house.
    The neighborhood where this house sits has declined in recent years. When I moved there after getting married it was pretty decent but it was changing. It is now destined to add to Plano's growing ghetto real estate, unfortunately. The city that grew at an incredible clip in the 70's and 80's now has miles of cheaply constructed housing facing the relentless pressures of aging and changing demographics.

Post Likes
    This was our model:

When my wife bought it (before we met), she had whatever carpeting was in there ripped out, and the hall bath wallpaper was painted over. Master bath wallpaper was hideous...we removed it before putting the house up for sale. The master bath itself was DINKY! I served in the Navy...the smallest head on the ship was larger than that MASTER bathroom! I could barely turn around in there.

Oh yeah, those cabinet doors...molding with amber plastic panels that had the concentric circles embossed in the plastic...lovely. And the stamped metal tiles for a splashboard on the walls over the flecked or boomerang Formica countertops. I can see Dwell Magazine now just raving over Fox & Jacobs design features...............not!
    The living area was originally sunken but my wife had it filled in when she recarpeted the house.
    The neighborhood where this house sits has declined in recent years. When I moved there after getting married it was pretty decent but it was changing. It is now destined to add to Plano's growing ghetto real estate, unfortunately. The city that grew at an incredible clip in the 70's and 80's now has miles of cheaply constructed housing facing the relentless pressures of aging and changing demographics.
    Shophound

Definitely the high priced unit ....

I see you had the real (imported brick) Accents around the windows and the wood extension to help hold up the 3/8 plywood decked roof. So many in our neighborhood had to pay extra to get that rotted wood removed from the exterior. Wasn't it lovely that it just rested on the brick veneer and had no structural integrity.

I'm currently having the roof replaced because of hail damage and the insurance adjuster suggested that I have another layer of ply laid over the old to strengthen the roof structure (at my expense).

It really wonderful when I have repair folks out and they suggest that maybe it would be better to tear down whatever and start over since so much is sub-par building practices.

Post Likes

Question TVX Valve

Not to drift off the T&J commentary, but I did NOT go with the TVX valve. I did, however, ask him about it.

This is what the good dealer told me, and I quote:

"I would be happy to install one, but that's all I will say about it." After pressing him on it, his opinion was that since it was a matched split system, the orifice was properly sized. He said there would be a slight improvement in efficiency, but it would be more than offset by increased complexity, aka repair costs.

The installers apparently throttled max fan speed down from 20K to 18-18.5K. The reason, I was told, was to address our area's high humidity (armpit of SE Texas was in reference to heat and humidity - and smell from our lovely petro-chem economy!).

My original plan was to improve the efficiency of the building (new windows, doors, insulation) then move on to the HVAC. That plan did what most plans do - fall apart - given the failure of the old system! So it's likely insulation first (currently have about 10" of the old rockwool stuff - I would hate to meet one of those sheep at night ) then on to the original single glaze windows and four double french doors - oh what fun!

Any additional help on the TVX dilemma and blower speed issues would be appreciated!

Ciao

P.S. - Having been up and running for about 24 hours now, I can't believe how quite this system is. I can't even hear it come on! The same is true outside - a nice touch since this rascal sits right on the other side of my headboard in my bedroom! It's also great that my "comfort" level is now at a higher temp (using same stat). I guess the old system had been on the decline for some time.
    Last edited by SETexan; 05-22-2008 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Typo oops

Post Likes
    TXV's, if installed with care, are rock solid metering devices. Your local supermarket would not do without them. Your favorite restaurant's ice machine likely uses one. Go pick up a six pack at the Stop n' Rob, likely a TXV helping to keep the brewskies cool.

Main killers of TXV's are improper installation techniques and trash from improper service techniques elsewhere in the system. Seldom are the components of the TXV itself to blame, but it can happen...mainly power head fails or thermal bulb leaks out its little charge. No biggie to fix, really.

That being said, you may want to measure your indoor temperature and humidity levels with your new system now running to gain an ongoing metric for your indoor conditions. In my own home I'm running a 10 SEER condenser hooked to a newer evaporator with a TXV. Single stage, nothing fancy. Yesterday, with temps around 90 and outdoor humidity levels climbing, the system easily held 75 in the house and relative humidity was <45&#37;. System ran roughly 3 ten minute cycles per hour. Of course I've also added insulation in the attic and radiant barrier, which effectively gives me a capacity boost to my system without doing any mechanical alterations to it. Ducts that run through an attic with radiant barrier on the roof deck won't gain as much heat as ducts in attics with no radiant barrier. Result is the cold air leaving the evaporator gains less heat before it reaches the supply vents.

Bells and whistles...save it for the local orchestra.

But I do think TXV's are a worthwhile investment. Refrigeration systems tend to like them for longevity reasons as well as efficiency.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in